Author Topic: Organized Play related lawsuit vs. Hasbro/WotC re: Magic events  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook

FYI. Not terribly applicable to the albeit small OIC efforts, but you might want to follow the news:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r_DZZo06cjdWxnejVZbDFreTQ/view

** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Organized Play related lawsuit vs. Hasbro/WotC re: Magic events
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
Are they seriously trying to sue for wages for positions they took upon themselves voluntarily with the understanding they were not paid positions, but voluntary?
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Are they seriously trying to sue for wages for positions they took upon themselves voluntarily with the understanding they were not paid positions, but voluntary?

Apparently so.
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
Hey this is the USA (yoU can Sue Anyone).  I am sure some ambulance chasing lawyer told them there is HUGE money involved in gaming.  And that <The other company that shall not be mentioned> is making obscene profits on their work.  Rise up Workers!!  *Sorry lost it there for a second*

It will be interesting to see how the initial judge rules on it.  I think it is frivolous, but I am not a lawyer.  I have spoken with MANY judges at those events and they all acknowledge they are volunteers and hey do it because they love <insert name of game>.

But if they get a sympathetic judge then <The other company that shall not be mentioned> could have an issue n their hands.  even if they do not lose the case they will be seen in the media as an "uncaring money grubbing corporation", which they are, lets face it all of them are.  But the case has to be heard by the right judge with the right jury to have any monetary impact.  And then the judge might just award them something like attorney's fees or the like.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but the only ones that will win here is the attorneys.  Apologize to any member of the legal profession I might have angered in the post above.

-BP

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
Murica! :)
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)