Author Topic: In your game world, how easy is it to be resurrected?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: In your game world, how easy is it to be resurrected?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
Our campaigns tend to end with characters in the high single digits of levels, so it usually isn't an option. Also, the fact that a good healer needs like five or six different lists means that few players play a dedicated healer; they usually rely on an NPC, and that NPC doesn't have Resurrection.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
For those without resurrection how do you handle a PC cleric that reaches 12th level and can resurrect NPCs and fellow PCs? Admittedly at 12th level it would pretty well put a PC out of the game anyway as the recovery time is potentially massive but alive is alive at that point.

I say, "let me look at that spell list...

*Takes out red pen - slashes through spell*

"Nope, nope, and not that one."

There are plenty of cool lists in the Channeling Companion I can give a Cleric to make up for the loss of those spells.

A spell's presence on a list in a book doesn't mean I have to allow it.

For all clerics? What about a cleric of the god of life/death, as in the OP above?

Obviously I totally agree with just because it is in the book you don't have to use it. I am just curious.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 12:13:36 PM »
For those without resurrection how do you handle a PC cleric that reaches 12th level and can resurrect NPCs and fellow PCs? Admittedly at 12th level it would pretty well put a PC out of the game anyway as the recovery time is potentially massive but alive is alive at that point.

I say, "let me look at that spell list...

*Takes out red pen - slashes through spell*

"Nope, nope, and not that one."

There are plenty of cool lists in the Channeling Companion I can give a Cleric to make up for the loss of those spells.

A spell's presence on a list in a book doesn't mean I have to allow it.

For all clerics? What about a cleric of the god of life/death, as in the OP above?

Obviously I totally agree with just because it is in the book you don't have to use it. I am just curious.

Well, my solution obviously won't work for campaigns where the GM wants to allow normal access to resurrection. In my world the equivalent to a god of life/death would be Myrill the goddess of nature, healing and rebirth.

Her priests have near exclusive access to the Healer class (don't use Lay Healer) and the Closed Channelling healing list (Bone Law, Blood Law, etc.). A priest of Myrill would have Life Mastery as one of their base lists, but the list will exclude the Lifegiving spells. That certainly nerfs that list, but I let them have access to some of cool priest lists in Channeling Companion to make up for it.

So to sum up, a cleric, healer or animist that worships Myrill would be the go to class for healing and life preserving, but could not resurrect anyone with Lifegiving spells.

In my world very high level and high grace level channelers do have access to a "miracle" spell, for lack of a better name. Under the right (and very rare) circumstances I would allow such a character or NPC to perform a resurrection.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

Our gaming setting for RM2 is a little different in that we only allow Elemental Companion and Alchemy Companion for spell users.  All other "magic" was explained away with/as science.  "That's not a Mentalism spell, that's simply hypnosis.  That's not a magical healing pill, it an analgesic and anti-inflammatory derived from a plant."  The gaming world is in the 'early stages renaissance' era and the peoples are enlightened now!  LOL.  Think back to the renaissance period and what passed for science and how religion was starting to take a back seat to enlightened, educated, scientific thought.  What people believed to be a resurrection spell from a so-called healer years ago realize now as simply a very deep coma that a person awoke from.  Nothing magical or miraculous, just a deep coma recovery.

Because of this shift to science, apothecary shops, herbalists, and such are easier to find and are better stocked.  Herb Lore, Flora and Fauna Lores, and hunting for herbs are more productive now and finding the necessary healing herbs to help with life keeping is easier for our adventurers.  more of our players take First and Second Aid as skills as well.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!