Author Topic: Loot, rewards, treasure ... stuff...  (Read 1477 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Loot, rewards, treasure ... stuff...
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
So.

How do you reward players? Cash? New gear?

I mean, in Fantasy you've got magic items, potions, rings, staves, rods, wands ... stuff like that.

Is the idea here... new miniaturised tools? Combined tools?

I mean, it should of course be genre specific... but... yeah. What are the most tangible rewards in your game, besides money.

I've been struggling with my players' exploration of an old science vessel, giving them some new tools, and goggles and stuff... but... yeah. It's not easy.

Also, side-note: Ideas for special material to craft new armour (and weapons) with?  (Think Martial Law)

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Loot, rewards, treasure ... stuff...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
My bughunters game is very militaristic, so medals and awards are one way I've rewarded players.  Since most of their equipment isn't theirs in the first place they are not very interested in cash - but in a game where the players have to pay the upkeep on their own ship that could be a great reward.

I frequently use fate points as rewards for significant major party goals and even significant player goals.

In one adventure the players saved a colony of psychic aliens from being wiped out.  As a reward their counsel of elders performed a psychic ritual to help the PCs unlock their own psychic powers (I gave each player a bonus latent psychic field talent).

Exotic equipment would certainly be a good reward.  Perhaps something that works one level of maturity higher than the normal tech of the game.  Quality items also work here,  a +5 set of premium quality tools, or a cutting edge computer assisted targeting system.

And don't forget the plain old reward of gratitude.  Maybe the guy the party had to guard/protect has a family - at the end of the adventure make sure the guy's kid runs over to someone in the party and gives them a hug and says "thank you for saving my daddy".  Sometimes a simply story reward can be worth more than a +5 high quality doodad.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:34 AM »
See. I keep forgetting about quality items. I've given them one, a +5 revolver.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Quality items. Lighter items. Combined items. Objets d'art. Exotic alloys. Biologicals. Gems or other valuable minerals.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme