Author Topic: Rolemaster Play by Post?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster Play by Post?
« on: February 19, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
I was wondering if there are any PbP games out there. I'm considering running one and I would love to see one in action. Anyone able to point me to examples? I'm really curious how to run combat in it.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Rolemaster Play by Post?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
I was wondering if there are any PbP games out there. I'm considering running one and I would love to see one in action. Anyone able to point me to examples? I'm really curious how to run combat in it.

There's a number of Rolemaster/HARP/MERP games over here - http://www.realroleplaying.com - (site appears to be down, but likely temporary as the 2 PBEM games I play there did have posts yesterday)

Regard,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »
this thread appeared on my facebook feed, there was a forwarding issue with the site, sorted now :)

gosh, it's been a while since I posted anything here, and there for that matter.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »
Hi I ran a PBEM some years ago, it went quite well for a while. However I ran out of time to GM, so it disbanded.
I used a combination of emails and web page, emails had PC specific type info, Web page contained campaign setting and house rules.
For combat, players would nominate their actions if attacked, eg. while on the dark plains, my character will attack with 50% if not outnumbered, otherwise try to flee. So I could resolve encounters without having to stop too much.
Overall it worked ok as everyone could work on the game whenever between turns that varied from twice a day to around once a week.
e crits all round

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
Hi I ran a PBEM some years ago, it went quite well for a while. However I ran out of time to GM, so it disbanded.
I used a combination of emails and web page, emails had PC specific type info, Web page contained campaign setting and house rules.
For combat, players would nominate their actions if attacked, eg. while on the dark plains, my character will attack with 50% if not outnumbered, otherwise try to flee. So I could resolve encounters without having to stop too much.
Overall it worked ok as everyone could work on the game whenever between turns that varied from twice a day to around once a week.

Thanks for that! So you ran all the combats based on their earlier guidelines? You didn't handle it round by round?

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »
Yes. The game ran on pre-sets and the character descriptions and personalities.  Each turn a player could change their pre-set options. I would stop the game after each combat - not each round, unless there was a crucial tactical decision to be made.

For travelling long distance we used a similiar system where the party would agree to avoid or confront encounters depending on what they were. I would issue a new turn if they couldn't avoid encounter or if they encountered something rare + as I used random charts alot for travel between points. A turn was issued when they entered a new geographic region or feature. However we never tried PBEM in a city setting the game only touched on villages, ruins, dungeons.

Overall I let the method evolve with the players and as the game went on their options and personalities developed more. It certainly made character descriptions more important as I would bend their actions toward this end if a player didn't specify a situation.

Thanks for that! So you ran all the combats based on their earlier guidelines? You didn't handle it round by round?
e crits all round

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
The Lands of Nevron.  Play by email group has been going for more than 20 years.  The GM is taking additional players on or you might be able ot take over a character for someone who has dropped from the game.

www.landsofnevron.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
this thread appeared on my facebook feed, there was a forwarding issue with the site, sorted now :)

gosh, it's been a while since I posted anything here, and there for that matter.

Looks like it is down again, goes to a directory page.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »

Looks like it is down again, goes to a directory page.
Works for me. :)