Author Topic: HARP Folkways  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Ryhope Wood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP Folkways
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
What are the costs for some of the new special abilities?

Shrewdness appears to be similar to the People Person talent in HARP Sci-fi, but with half the bonus (+5).  Would this be half the cost of the People Person talent? That is, 10 points.

Exceptionally Dense Musculature has twice the OB and DB bonus of the Dense Musculature talent.  Is this twice the cost?  That is, a hefty 50 points.  Plus is the penalty on the swimming maneuver doubled to -50?

What are the DP costs associated with Amphibious Action, Gregariousness, and Hardiness?  I can't find an obvious equivalent in either the HARP or HARP Sci-fi core rules.

Offline Ryhope Wood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »
Bentaxa have Elemental Affinity, which are very similar to the Affinity of X talents in HARP College of Magics.  However, the bonuses are slightly different.  + 20 DB/RR and +10 to casting in HARP Folkways and +10 DB/RR and +5 to casting in HARP College of Magics.  Is this intentional?  Is this a Greater form of the Affinity talent and would the DP cost be doubled (that is, 30 DP)?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
The Seeker is deliberate. It has so many high-utility favored categories that providing it with additional abilities would have made the profession too good. All professions have to be within a certain range to be considered in balance.

The Racial Hybrid issue is interesting and something should be added on that. I will have to think about race height & weight as well.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:34 AM »
The Seeker is deliberate. It has so many high-utility favored categories that providing it with additional abilities would have made the profession too good. All professions have to be within a certain range to be considered in balance.

The Racial Hybrid issue is interesting and something should be added on that. I will have to think about race height & weight as well.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
I also assume you are looking into the Tough Hide differences between the three new races that it have along with the one I mentioned where the text is cut off. Otherwise I did not notice any other typos or missing info. That is other than the other errata that has been reported more recently, like the few missing talents from the new talents section.....
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
They should all be Tough Hide (Lesser) which gives +10 DB. The Bentaxa Affinity needs to renamed to Imbued with X and will then be equivalent to the same talent available to Giants (and the Giant's talent in the core book will be renamed as well).

There are some other minor tweaks which need to be performed upon the new races as well.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 02:33:44 PM »
Is the description of the special ability 'Danger Sense' for the Queequayth correct?  It has very similar wording to the Combat Awareness talent in HARP Sci-fi except that the modifier is -20 in HARP Folkways and -30 in HARP Sci-fi.

Danger Sense is intended as an improved version of Combat Awareness (available in HARP SF and HARP Martial Law), so value is correct.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »
Amarvish and the automatic languages from culture needs some clarification. The Amarvish do not write. At first glance, this seems to be only their own language, but other interpretation can take it to mean they do not write at all. Does this just cut off the writing portion of languages from selecting a culture, or do they put more ranks into speaking?
#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
Will add sentence to recommend redistribution of written skill ranks to own racial spoken and other languages.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
I'm here to just say WOW. This is a super impressive work! I love the academics and think this is a unique entry into the RPG market overall.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Random

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »
I picked this up last week and it's great.  One of the best things about it is that the 20 questions can used in any system.
My only small disappointment is that there was know Hedge Mage type class in chapter 6.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
I know it's done to save space on the Training Package Ways of the Forestals, but my reading of how the Linguistic skill works means that speaking and writing a language are two separate skills.

While I liked the detail of the 20 questions, and the case studies, what I particularly like is the 20 questions tables at the end of the book. I also like the "you don't really need to answer all of these". Just remember, no GM plan usually survives contact with the players. You can have an extremely detailed culture, but as soon as your players don't care it doesn't matter.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »
I know it's done to save space on the Training Package Ways of the Forestals, but my reading of how the Linguistic skill works means that speaking and writing a language are two separate skills.

While I liked the detail of the 20 questions, and the case studies, what I particularly like is the 20 questions tables at the end of the book. I also like the "you don't really need to answer all of these". Just remember, no GM plan usually survives contact with the players. You can have an extremely detailed culture, but as soon as your players don't care it doesn't matter.
An extremely detailed culture is a little different. Culture descriptions and such are background info that adds color, feel, and belief to your game. The players can ignore it all they want but it will affect them in one way or another. Of course that all depends on the GM and how she/he handles the players intro to the culture.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 04:49:22 AM »
I used to love giving extremely detailed descriptions, until I realized "how much are my players actually going to care?" Granted, this was mostly in the designs of rooms, and it leads back to "unless they look thoroughly, are they even going to notice?" So I just give players enough to get by on, if that's all they need great, if they get more involved, then I'll go into more detail.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
I used to love giving extremely detailed descriptions, until I realized "how much are my players actually going to care?" Granted, this was mostly in the designs of rooms, and it leads back to "unless they look thoroughly, are they even going to notice?" So I just give players enough to get by on, if that's all they need great, if they get more involved, then I'll go into more detail.

That is good and works for most adventuring scenarios. But the culture and background can affect how the people and environment respond to the PCs actions. If the players inadvertently insult a culture because they ignore the world around them it is their own fault, and there are usually consequences. Consequences can make any adventure or scenario that much more intense.
For me this is a really awesome book that adds some things that are much greatly needed for background. The way I look at it each town, each city, each culture is different. If the players are ignoring all the details then they could be missing out on possibly the best part of the game.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
I think this typo has not by brought forward, at least I haven't seen it here so forgive me if it's a repeat.

On page 28 in the Gender and Sexuality Ways section near the end of the Norms sub-section:

In the first two cases, a person born biologically male carries out roles in society that are conventionally assigned to wormen.

I think wormen was meant to be women.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »
Already caught.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
Refreshed the pdf clearing the typos, correcting the errors, and adding in various talents. Please download the pdf at your convenience.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »
Already caught.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Just downloaded the latest version and saw it, thanks

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
Print masters have been uploaded into OBS.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
Print masters have been uploaded into OBS.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Awesome! I have downloaded the updated PDF but have not been able to really go through it. So far I have noticed the things I mentioned had been changed.

Great Work!

Bruce