Author Topic: Aimed Shots  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Aimed Shots
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
So, are there any rules for aimed shots anywhere in RM (any version)?

In my Darkspace game a player wants to aim to take out a ship's subsystem...and of course I can't find anything about that (in Spacemaster but also in RM as well).

Is this possible or just have to let it go?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Aimed Shots
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
In RMU, you can make a called shot at -25, but the attack is resolved against the selected target location (head, arm, torso, etc). If the armor on that area differs, you use the armor for the location. Generally it's only worthwhile if the location is less well armored than the rest of the body or you specifically need to damage that location (e.g. target only harmed by headshots). Then you roll a critical but reduce the result to the next lower critical affecting the specified area.

For a ship's subsystem...  first question is, can it be targeted? E.g. the thrusters are exposed so yes. Life support might be entirely internal, so no, unless perhaps they make some kind of engineering roll to see if they know exactly where it is. If you decide the answer is yes, apply a suitable penalty. If the subsystem is particularly exposed, it might be treated as having less armor. I'm not familiar enough with Darkspace/Spacemaster to know whether those things are applicable or whether criticals specify subsystems....

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »
Criticals in SM do specify subsystems. The critical charts themselves though are not consistent in the way RMU's are across body types (for creatures): so a result of 55 on an A critical might hit the thrusters, whereas a 55 on a B might hit the life support.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »
Criticals in SM do specify subsystems. The critical charts themselves though are not consistent in the way RMU's are across body types (for creatures): so a result of 55 on an A critical might hit the thrusters, whereas a 55 on a B might hit the life support.

Yeah, I've noticed. ;/

So I take it there is no real official system for doing what he wants to do?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
Consistent sequencing isn't really necessary if you are just going to read down to the next lower critical affecting the correct subsystem. It might result in a critical being downgraded more than expected though.

The alternative would be to modify the critical description to apply to the desired subsystem. I'm not sure how much rethinking that requires on the part of the GM.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
This may not add much to the discussion, but I note we have the following house rule:

House Rule AL4: "Called Shots" are allowed. See also RMU:
      1. Call one of the 5 areas: head & neck, arms, chest, groin & abdomen, and legs
      2. Apply -25 OB against similar sized humanoid foes, or -10 to -50 for others (eg. -10 OB for Leg shot against a Giant)
      3. Any Critical uses the next lower row (skipping the 66 row)
      4. The Critical location is changed to the called location by the GM, where relevant

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
This is exactly why I redid crit charts for firearms. I have limb, head, and center mass crit charts now. Makes aimed fire much easier to deal with. I don't consider RMU's solution to be especially effective for firearms, but your milage may vary.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »
Sable Wyvern's Super Simple Called Shot Rules:

Attacker indicates target location.

Attack as normal.

If crit result does not indicate a strike to the location nominated, read up the table (skipping 66) until reaching a result that can be applied (ie, either a strike to the nominated location, or a non-specific crit that is applicable).

(I suggested that as an option to one of my players who wanted called shot rules, about 20 years ago. I think I came up with it myself, but apologies for failing to give proper credit if I actually stole it from somewhere else.)