Author Topic: Buying acess to Cleric spells  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Buying acess to Cleric spells
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:23:12 AM »
I have a player in my current campaign that is considering taking the Arcane Power talent to buy into the Cleric Sphere of spells. That souldn't be a problem by itself, but I'm not sure if I should make him take the same bows and limitation that the clerics in my setting have to observe(they are quite severe).
After all, he is not taking the class, but religion has a high impact on the setting and it's magic is not something to be taken lightly.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Buying acess to Cleric spells
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
I would make him take the vows.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
It depends, and in the end it comes down to you.

If the character casts the spells through divine benevolence, then the character must abide by the strictures of the god in question.

If the character casts the spells through arcane knowledge, like a magician, then the god as nothing to do with it and the character doesn't need to abide by anything. (other than the maximum number of spells for his profession of course.)

The Cleric doesn't necessarily mean it comes from a divine power. Many spells of that sphere can be found in other spheres. The divine part comes more from the Cleric profession than the sphere itself.

At least that is my opinion and as I stated above, it comes down to you. Make a decision and stick with it. ;)

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
It depends, and in the end it comes down to you.

If the character casts the spells through divine benevolence, then the character must abide by the strictures of the god in question.

If the character casts the spells through arcane knowledge, like a magician, then the god as nothing to do with it and the character doesn't need to abide by anything. (other than the maximum number of spells for his profession of course.)

The Cleric doesn't necessarily mean it comes from a divine power. Many spells of that sphere can be found in other spheres. The divine part comes more from the Cleric profession than the sphere itself.

At least that is my opinion and as I stated above, it comes down to you. Make a decision and stick with it. ;)

There is the rub or the out.

Let us take healing.  There are non-divine spell that can also heal.  So if the player is just mimicking the spells using an Arcane source then the vows and restrictions might not be necessary.  Of course, some of the upper ranks of the clergy might see this as heresy and have "true believers" track the character down and "cleanse" him.

-BP

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
There is the rub or the out.

Let us take healing.  There are non-divine spell that can also heal.  So if the player is just mimicking the spells using an Arcane source then the vows and restrictions might not be necessary.  Of course, some of the upper ranks of the clergy might see this as heresy and have "true believers" track the character down and "cleanse" him.

-BP

Vivimancer beware...  :P

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
As for vows, I would say that depends on the setting a lot.

If the god requires the vows in return for its blessings, then yes.  But it the vows are simply part of the structure of the clergy then no (many different orders may have different manners to honor their god - and the god may or may not care specifically how they do it).

I would say the more ordered and organized the god granting the spells is, the more likely the spells come with the vows.  Disorganized, chaotic, or apathetic deities are much less likely to require it.  But irregardless of the vows, if the character begins to act against the interests of the deity then the spells are likely to stop coming.

Of course this is all also contingent on the spells coming from the deity rather than just a teaching of spells.  Someone already mentioned that in some settings spells are spells and the only difference is what group of spells different organizations teach.  But the way I am reading your question I suspect you are going towards the divine powered spell idea.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Samzagas

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies, folks.
I double checked the relation between the deities themselves and the spells they grant to decide which vows and rituals apply. Now it's up to him to deciede if he want to take the spells or not anymore.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
I'm still not getting this spell limitation thing, hence my earlier topic "How is Magician's Versatiliy an Ability?".
#LotorAllura2024