Author Topic: QUESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR  (Read 35692 times)

Offline GerikGnome

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: QUESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
At risk of stepping on Defendi's toes, the Knights Lonnuso are not a secret police rifling through everyone's home looking for wizards, but they will kill any one they come across, regardless of threat.  In fact, not killing one because he's little threat would fly in the face of the way they think.

Non-divine magic is heresy, and as such even the smallest amount should be snuffed out lest it give birth to an Ulcer.  Or so the Church teaches.

It's also much easier to kill a lower level wizard (low threat) than a higher level one (high threat).  So it just wouldn't make sense to let a low one go and gain more levels.

Just my opinion as the only full spellcaster in the RM playtest.  (My character still lives in fear of them and avoids using magic anywhere near cities).

Defendi can feel free to completely negate everything I said.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 06:38:42 PM »
Raf:

Technically, the church hunts down and kills every human magic user it can find.  Practically, the intensity of their searching depends on the order.  Most orders don't search at all.  Only the Witch-Hunters actively hunts (and sometimes secretly hunt other races, though they might be members of churchs the human Church associates with).  Pacifistic orders like the Knights Ephestus might turn a blind eye if the person seems to be "misguided" rather than actually evil.  A knight equenis could even work with a magic using type if the person was good enough a soul and he had a reason to excuse the person for not violating church law.

For instance, one of the playtest characters died during the second adventure (in act one, no less).  At the end of the adventure they couldn't find a healer because in RM there isn't much in the way of channeling spells that heal intense brain damage.  MacFlinn, however knew a 50th level lay healer.  Although a lay healer would be a banned spell user in the church, he was a good soul and a member of a non-human race.  So MacFlinn would actively work with him because not every race proscribes magic.  So in his mind, it wasn't a matter for the human church.  The Faerarch meets gnomish diplomats after all and many of them HAVE to know magic.  I mean . . . they're gnomes.  He swore the party to secrecy though.  The Witch-Hunters would come after HIM if they found out.

All the magicians in Felric's Redoubt and Ludremon hide the fact.

I didn't know that about Kohler.  Change the name if they go there.  :)  I heard that Warhammer had a similar problem with one of their cities (Bogenhafen meybe?)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 07:06:14 PM »
A note on Mythics: I let one play in my game but it was very underpowered compaired to other professions and I let the player switch profession after about 1 year after char creation. He was much happier.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
Just a random question really - do you have EoH threads on other boards for other systems?  Just curious.  enworld doesn't have a non-member search function or I would have snooped a bit.

As a side note, I checked by google profile and apparently there are many other sited that just copied the reviews I did for rpgnow so I have a lot more links.  I suppose that is what I get for using my real name.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007, 03:42:12 PM »
I post on the fantasy hero board with dev journals.  I'd love to get some buzz on EN Wolrd.  I have a customer who picked it up this week who told me he'll review it over there if he likes it as much as his initial reaction (I'm sure he will).

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:20 AM »
I just bought the setting for RM and though I was going to use it with RM2 I wonder if there are any serious things I need to change or take under consideration.

Since SM:P was great I except no less from this line of products
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2007, 07:16:57 AM »
Monsters haven't really changed and the professions are similar enough that you should be able to get the jist in the religion chapter.  The only REAL difference is NPC, and for the most part you can just use their skill as is, ignoring those that you don't need in your game.  The big difference is that RMFRP professions get their bonuses a first level rather than as 1/level, etc.  If a character is high level or low level, you might want to adjust prime skills up or down a bit, but for the most part you can just leave them as is.

Glad you bought it.  :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2007, 07:17:39 AM »
Right this moment I'm working on a sequel to the sequel to Ulcer.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2007, 11:05:03 AM »
Right this moment I'm working on a sequel to the sequel to Ulcer.

Cool.
Still looking good for St. Patty's Day dwarves? 
(You hinted elsewhere about a 3/18 date for pt. 3)
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
Right around there.  This time the new playtest writing feel right in the middle of this product, so I'm a touch farther behind than I'd like.  ICE has approved.  HERO still has it (that's the 3/18 date).  The only question is the maps.  This one is map intensive.  As soon as I finish the d20 version (tonight, probably) I'll post a DEV journal.  Then I'll give you map updates.  My only worry is the number of maps I'd like to put in the map templates.  But it should be right around that date.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »
Looking forward to the new release, bought from you this time like the first one :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »
Thanks.  I just finished my guild adventurer work for the day and now I'm back on the d20.  I went to sleep last night, which was unexpected.  :)

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2007, 02:01:23 AM »
If I advertise for GMing an EoH campaign on the play by post site rpgrm.com, I was thinking of cutting and pasting the intros on the cover pages of both the setting and the 1st adventure as an introduction to the campaign. Is this ok with you?

If you want, I can source it by (Defendi 2006) or something else. Thoughts?

Edit: By intros I mean the words on the covers, not the introuctions themselves.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 02:05:30 AM by Grafton »

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2007, 02:21:28 AM »
Yeah, although you might want to keep the adventure's secret until it starts.  Either way, say Copyright (C) 2006 by Final Redoubt Press.  Reproduced with permission.

This permission extends only to Grafton for this one use.  If anyone else needs permission, let me know.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2007, 02:54:48 AM »
Ah, I come from a scientific background. Thus, the differences in citation.

Thanks Defendi. To clarify I would be quoting the first part, the 'quotes', of the covers. From FRP1001RA "Areinal lept off the parapets of Heaven. ... to "Soon they'd glisten with blood..." and then from FRP1001RB
(click to show/hide)
(endquote, eventhough there is other written material there afterwards.) This would be used in a "recruiting" thread to garner interest in the game.

I am interested in your response. Your initial post suggested to wait on quoting the adventure text (FRP1001RB). I am curious why? Admittedly, I have not read thoroughly through the material but is there something there that would not be good for prospective players to see? Is it a character generation thing, or something else? Or maybe you misunderstood what I was proposing to quote?

Thank you for the permission and glad I asked 8).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:34:08 AM by Defendi »

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2007, 02:57:03 AM »
deleted by poster. Weirdness.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2007, 03:33:25 AM »
This is actually a minor spoiler, so I'm popping it in spoiler text.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2007, 03:35:25 AM »
I'm sure that secret is out by now.  I've probably spoiled it myself in my dev journals, if nowhere else, but I figured since I was calling it a spoiler I better spoiler it.  :)

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, Denfendi. Now I see what your getting at.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
Silly question for the author - when exactly do you sleep?  You have posting times from 7pm to 4am and other oddball hours not to mention noting all the hours you spend writing on things.