Author Topic: Grappling a man to hold him!  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Grappling a man to hold him!
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:48:03 AM »
So..

We had a session and my PC wanted to take another PC and throw him in the harbor.
But how do you do that in RM?
Grappling crits don't let you move around with people.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Grappling a man to hold him!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
I do not know of any official rules for this. You will have to house rule it.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
I agree with PeterR.  We have run into this a couple of times over the decades.

* - Successfully get a Grapple crit that states opponent is "held/tangled/immobile" from an attack.  Use a Strength Roll on the MM table to check for degree of success in moving the target to a desired position, or over the edge.

* - Martial Arts Sweeps and Throws table to successfully throw the opponent over the edge. 

In another game system I played, I was a vampire fighting a werewolf on the dock of a bay.   I managed a grapple and jumped right in the water with him until the bubbles stopped.  ;-)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
* - Successfully get a Grapple crit that states opponent is "held/tangled/immobile" from an attack.

Generously interpreting these sorts of results seem to be the key, and what I have always assumed was the intent.

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
If we're talking houserules, I would say the GM might assign a certain percentage of grapple needed to have a 'good hold' on the target first. You might say 50% or 75%. You could accommodate degrees of success to by imposing a bonus or penalty for however much the hold exceeds or falls short of that target number. So if the target number was 50% and you had a 70% hold, you would get a +20 to the maneuver. (Remember that a 100% grapple is completely immobilized, so I don't think you'd need 100%). Then as Spectre 771 says, a check to throw the target; you could do an opposed check too.

One of the things I've felt Rolemaster lacks is some rules for some of the basic combat maneuvers that players are naturally going to try in combat. DnD for example has rules for trip and 'Bull Rush', the latter being an attempt to bowl over an opponent or push her over a ledge. It would be good to have some basic rules for these simple actions in the core rules.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
When it comes to basic combat my love has fallen to GURPS! It has rules for any possible situation.

But ill try and see if those house rules could be of use!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »
One of the things I've felt Rolemaster lacks is some rules for some of the basic combat maneuvers that players are naturally going to try in combat. DnD for example has rules for trip and 'Bull Rush', the latter being an attempt to bowl over an opponent or push her over a ledge. It would be good to have some basic rules for these simple actions in the core rules.
Oh, we had a lot of problems with these.
I think that characters size has something to do with this.
Just go stand next to somebody who has 6" and 50lbs on you. Or less than you for that matter.
Trying to grapple somebody who is against it you might get hurt. Even small surprise element would be big advantage.

We mostly went by house rules... and case by case.
As for arguments with GM. Many. Won less than lost
Dibs on that broadsword!

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »

Just go stand next to somebody who has 6" and 50lbs on you.

I used to wrestle, so I know that every pound matters. You bring up a good point then: maybe there should be an adjustment to the roll if one combatant is larger than the other?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle