Author Topic: Spell Law with HARP  (Read 1621 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Spell Law with HARP
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Has anyone any experience with the use of Spell Law (any edition) with HARP?
I was wondering whether this would work simple enough. Learning by ranks, so RMSS resp. RMFRP, not RM2, level based on caster level, Resistance using HARP chart, unsure, however, about ESF or the RMSS system which had similarities to HARP with its casting roll if I remember correctly (and I don't remember well, RM is too long past by now).

Any experience or thoughts?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Re: Spell Law with HARP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
I believe it is feasible but may not work well with balance issues. This would be a tricky undertaking. I personally enjoy the HARP spell system better than the spell list system in RM, one of the very few things I like about HARP over RM.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »
Some years ago I wrote an article for TGC about Scalable spells for RMSS/RMFRP. Perhaps, if you converted some RM Spells Lists to scalable spells, then you could use these with HARP in some way. Just a thought. Converting all spell lists would be a lot of work, though, but you could start with a few interesting spell lists and see how it works.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
Some years ago I wrote an article for TGC about Scalable spells for RMSS/RMFRP. Perhaps, if you converted some RM Spells Lists to scalable spells, then you could use these with HARP in some way. Just a thought. Converting all spell lists would be a lot of work, though, but you could start with a few interesting spell lists and see how it works.
From what I understand the OP was not asking to convert spells from RM's spell list system to HARP's scaleable spell system, they were asking if it was possible to use RM's spell list system in HARP. Basically the OP wants to use a spell list system and not scaleable spells.

If someone did want to convert whatever spells from the spell lists system that HARP has missed there are rules for making new spells for HARP in College of Magics. There is also a PDF form I developed that makes it much easier to develop new spells for HARP using those same rules from College of Magics.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 03:53:30 AM »
Bruce, I understood the question. My idea was to convert some RM lists to scalable spells thus usable with HARP.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »
Post a list of what you would like to see - some may already be scheduled for inclusion in Something Wicked or could be sensibly included.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
Ah, I had the Paladin's spells in mind for the campaign that is about to start. He is, however, going to start developing spells at a later level anyway. I looked into a bit into HARP, RM2, RMSS and RMU on the matter of ESF or Spell Roll and then finally decided to stick to the HARP magic system. (Although I still feel it a bit reduced compared to the vast amounts of spells in Rolemaster.) I might, however, change spells like Minor/Major Healing into something more Laying on Hands like ones with a healing per round or minute of concentration. I never really liked the high amount of healing gained from those two spell, actually never liked the "heals d10/10 hits"; too DnD I guess.

Thanks for the comments, hints and ideas.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!