Author Topic: What is the average age of Rolemaster players ?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: What is the average age of Rolemaster players ?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
One of the first things we did when moving to MERP and RM was build character and run a mock combat.  No real GM running things, just everyone learning the process before we started a full campaign.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What is the average age of Rolemaster players ?
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »

I think part of this idea comes from the number of companions and supplements out there for both RM2 and RMSS. Too many people seem to think the companions are core rules as opposed to optional, and it takes an experienced GM to wade through it all and make it work for her game.

This is the exact issue I'm running into now.  I keep trying to tell the new players that I have everything streamlined for PC creation.  They don't need all of the books.  They need to stick to RM2, not to reference  the other versions.    The Companions are all optional rules, classes, spells, etc.

I use pregen PCs all the time to get the players used to the game system first.  This lets them see what skills they'd like to have, which stats they may want to have as really high stats.  Once they've gotten a decent grasp, I'll have them roll up their own non-spell user PCs.  Once they are familiar to those portions of the game, I'll let them create spell-users.  Some of the "I know how to play roleplaying games" people are still floored by the fact that their spell caster (level 1, even level 5) is terribly suited for adventuring because they didn't understand PC creation or Dev Point spending.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!