Author Topic: Shielding with Magic  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Globulin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shielding with Magic
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
In some settings, casters have energy shields that can be held at low/moderate levels for extended duration without exhausting the character's stamina or magical power. Typically this type of shield expends much more energy when an attack is blocked.
In RM, spell casters have spells like Bladeturn to deflect detected attacks, but seem to be lacking in long duration spells to armor themselves against undetected attacks.
I can't think of any good way to make a long-term, low power energy shield in RM. Am I missing something?
"Less dice, more rules"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Shielding with Magic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:51:56 PM »
  Essence Shield — Creates a shimmering shield in front of the caster. This shield subtracts 10 from all frontal Essence attack rolls on the caster (base and elemental). In addition, if the caster performs no other actions during a round, he can “parry” (as with a normal shield) one spell attack. The parry bonus is equal to 10 plus the caster’s skill rank with this list.   you may allow directed sale to be developed
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
Well in RMSS there are a couple of options .. not exactly the kind of permanent shield you seem to look for but depending on what you are trying to protect yourself of, you have some options :

Here are some of them ... Dunno if that answers your question

- Channeling (Open) - Spell Defense
- Quite a few professions have defensive spells in their base list
- Essence (Open) - Elemental Shields / Spell Wall
- etc

Offline Globulin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Thanks, I think what I want almost requires some kind of "Waiting" spell in combination with the defense. I may spend some more time on it and write up a new spell.
"Less dice, more rules"

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:18:23 AM »
RM2 has a Force Mage in one of the later Companions.  I'll check for more details when I get home, but it's all based on the manipulation of force.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »
Thanks, I think what I want almost requires some kind of "Waiting" spell in combination with the defense. I may spend some more time on it and write up a new spell.

I think this is exactly the right answer. Spell research for both PCs and NPCs can really differentiate them and keeps players on their toes when they simply cannot recognise what spells are in effect or being cast at them.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:51:13 AM »
@Globulin: aren't you asking for an (energy) shield that block physical attacks? Because every answer (but Spectre771's) are for magical shields that block magic attacks…
If it's the former, a spellcaster may merely cast a Bladeturn x or a Deflections x. As written by Rasyr, such spells can be maintained for a certain number of rounds (pretty much equal to the SD stat, in fact), until they have blocked x attacks.

Otherwise, you may just cumulate your Bladeturn x or Deflections x with a Contingency spell (RoCo. I) or an appropriate spell from the Spell Triggers list (RoCo. II)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Also, I'm not able to find back the discussion, but I think a good number of people have a houserule in which Bladeturn x and the like have a duration, and may block up to x attacks during that duration. IIRC, most people have them last one round per caster's level.
As far as I'm concerned, duration is one minute per caster's level but such a spell "loses" one use each minute. For instance, a Mass bladeturn cast by a 25th level has twenty-five "uses" and lasts twenty-five minutes or until it uses all of its twenty-five "uses". Now, let's consider that, fifteen minutes after it was cast, the caster enters a fight that lasts three rounds and during which he "uses" five uses. Then, the spell only has five "uses" left: 25 (initial) - 15 (fifteen minutes) - 5 (uses during fight). So, if the spellcaster isn't attacked any longer, after five more minutes, the spell dissipates, having last twenty minutes (and three rounds) instead of twenty-five.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  Life got in the way and prepping for gaming weekend ate up a lot of time.

RMC-V Force Mage - Pure Spell User - Essence
Base Lists:
 - Force Law
 - Force Master
 - Gravity Law
 - Magnetic Lore
 - Shockwaves

I'll highlight the spells that seem to address the questions of the OP, paraphrasing to save time.

Force Law (Durations for listed spells are 1 min/lvl)
2 - Force Field I : field of force around caster's skin +10 DB vs. physical and elemental
5- Armor: shimmering suit of armor of pure force.  AT = Caster's level (max AT20) Unencumbering, does not impede spell casting or maneuvers
11 - Force Field II: +20 DB
19 - Force Field III: +30 DB
50 - Sphere of Force: Sphere of force absolutely impassable by anyone or anything, moves with caster

Magnetic Law (Duration is C)
6 - Shield I: shield of magnetic force attracts metal weapons, metal weapons are -20 to attack, if attack does not hit the weapon is stuck to the shield
13 - Shield II: wall shield +30 DB vs. melee, +40 DB vs. missile, missile attacks -30
(Duration of Globe spells 1min/lvl)
30 - Lesser Globe: field of force surrounds caster, +50 DB vs. elemental attacks, +75 DB vs. melee and missile attacks, globe moves with target
50 - Greater Globe:  field of force surrounds caster, +75 DB vs. elemental attacks, +100 DB vs. melee and missile attacks, globe moves with target

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!