Author Topic: Battle-bard spell: critique?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Battle-bard spell: critique?
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
Greetings-
Some months back, I posted about making a profession of bards who use Channeling instead of Mentalism (http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17828.msg215634#msg215634). I've been play testing one in my campaign, and we've found a weakness. While they're supposed to be focused on battle, when they sing a song/spell, the concentration it requires shuts the player out of further play. Yes, the character still gets 50% activity, but that's not enough to allow a 1st-5th level character to do much after they take 3 rounds to cast a spell, then have to concentrate to keep it working.
To mitigate this I've drafted another spell. It sort of bends around existing mechanics, in a sort of rule-lawyer way, and I'm a bit concerned about play balance. I'm posting the description below, and welcome any feedback on dangers or flaws you see. I'm currently considering it a 1st level spell - that may seem too low, but consider all of the spell's limitations before you target that particular point. There are probably other class specific points that will come up, but I'd rather respond with them, than post a long summary of the class right here/now.
The spell is part of a list called "Hero's Songs," which allows the caster to enhance someone's OB, AT, or resistance to stun effects. A dzos is the battle spirit the bard gets its Channeling power from:

Echoing Dzos: This spell allows an active Hero’s Song spell to continue as though the bard were concentrating on it. The Song must have been sung (in concentration) at least as many rounds as the Song’s level, and it must have been in effect during the round before Echoing Dzos is cast. In the round this spell is cast, the bard must also successfully enter a frenzy. Thereafter, the Song will persist as long as the bard is frenzied and engaged in melee. (Moving to close with an identified target can qualify as engaged in melee.)
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Battle-bard spell: critique?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
If you make the "Echoing Dzos" the first spell of the Hero's Song list, then make THAT spell the one that requires the initial concentration.. but then allow its "effect" to allow a spell of a higher level to be cast in tandem. The effect of which will persist for "at least" an equal number of rounds AFTER concentration ends...

This would allow the casting to be "Focusing the Vibe" (almost like entering a meditative state.. not sure I like frenzy) during which time they chant/sing/dance/perform etc.

Personally I'd give that level one spell something that makes it useful when NOT used in tandem... like a bonus to entering frenzy..

I'm assuming you are allowing the spell to also effect others than can hear it within a certain area or are there other spells that do this.... spell mastery perhaps?     

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Battle-bard spell: critique?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
If you make the "Echoing Dzos" the first spell of the Hero's Song list, then make THAT spell the one that requires the initial concentration.. but then allow its "effect" to allow a spell of a higher level to be cast in tandem. The effect of which will persist for "at least" an equal number of rounds AFTER concentration ends...

This would allow the casting to be "Focusing the Vibe" (almost like entering a meditative state.. not sure I like frenzy) during which time they chant/sing/dance/perform etc.

Personally I'd give that level one spell something that makes it useful when NOT used in tandem... like a bonus to entering frenzy..

I'm assuming you are allowing the spell to also effect others than can hear it within a certain area or are there other spells that do this.... spell mastery perhaps?   

Interesting idea - I'll have to think about it a bit, but it makes some sense. You reminded me, though, that I did mean to say that Echoing Dzos spell gives a +10 on Frenzy. In my homebrew mash up of action in a round, I'm using 10% activity for instantaneous spells, so this +10 negates the penalty for casting and trying to frenzy in the same round.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.