Author Topic: In the House of Ecthelion  (Read 19419 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
In the House of Ecthelion
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:48:15 AM »
http://www.ironcrown.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4511

Just the pointer to the house rules in the old forums. I will update this new thread when I update our house rules.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: In the House of Ecthelion
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »
Hi,

I have updated the House Rules and they now contain a section about how to map the Spheres of Influence from Channeling Companion to the Valar and Maiar of Middle-Earth. As always, you can find the document on my homepage at http://www.joergjahnke.de/roleplaying_en.html.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:48:53 AM »
Hi,

the latest updates of the House Rules contains a section about when to grant a bonus to Awareness rolls for extended examination.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
Hi,

this time the update of our House-Rules contains an entry on the Cleric's "Cancel Channeling" spell and on the usage of the herb Breldiar.

The complete table of contents now looks as follows:
1. Character creation
General stuff
Background options
Adolescence Ranks of the primary weapon
Miscellaneous
2. Spell casting
Improvement of Bolt- + Ball-spells
Weakening of Base Attack Spells
"Disarming" of some of the Utility spells
'Invisibility' spell
'Fly' spell
'Teleport' spell
Unscheduled Instantaneous spells
Dispel Essence/Channeling/Mentalism
Spell Casting Maneuver modifications for organic or metal items carried by Essence- and Channelingspell
casters
Cancel Channeling spell of the Cleric
Effect of the herb Breldiar for spells
3. Combat
Adrenal Defense
Parrying rules
Mounted combat
?Breaking 150?
Weapon tables from www.guildcompanion.com
Usage of the Main Gauche as a shield
Parrying with the 'Shield' spell and 2-handed weapons or unarmed
Criticals against large or super-large creatures
Shield Bash
Armor Quickness Penalties
Special cases for Press & Melee
Usage of herbs during combat
Critical-type selection
Situational Awareness - Combat
Missile weapons and ammunition of superior quality
Same fumble-range and attack table for broadsword and longsword
Disengage from Melee
4. Skills
Stalk and Hide
Donning and doffing armor
Temporary bonus from special results of the Self Control skills (or other maneuver tables)
?Monster? Lore Skills
First Aid for bleeding wounds
Stun Removal
Attunement oder Read Runes
Interrogation
Bonus to Awareness rolls through closer examination
5. Miscellaneous
Assigning Kill-Points
Experience Points for Spell Casting
Modifications for selling and purchasing items
No price differences for weapons made of metal and wood vs. Weapons made only of metal
Gamemaster Law tables for purchasing and selling items
Mending broken weapons and reloading staffs/wands/rods
Item identification
Testing to attune to items before buying
Using old RM2 characters
RR bonus vs. elements
Encumbrance Penalty and race modifiers for strength
RMSS Languages in Middle-Earth
Modifications for wounds, hits taken etc.
Activity subtractions for some races due to sunlight exposure
Effects of sunlight or the Utterlight spell on vampires
Assignment of the Valar+Maiar in Middle-Earth to the Priest Spheres of Influence
Fate Points

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
Hi,

again I have updated the House Rules on my homepage. This time I have added:
- An extension to the existing house rule about effects of Utterlight on Vampires
- A rule on XPs for Adrenal Moves, Power Striking and Power Throwing
- A rule on how to handle skill checks for Read Tracks, Power Striking and Power Throwing

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »
Hi,

the latest update to the House Rules document contains a rule that makes Magic Rituals more dangerous.

As usual the document can be found at http://www.joergjahnke.de/roleplaying_en.html.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 04:47:09 PM »
Hi,

I just added a rule that modified the AL 2003 rule on using Subdual Criticals instead of the usual critical table for a melee weapon.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:06:20 AM »
Hi,

in the section of the House Rules on selling and purchasing items I have specified the typical population for a village, town or city. I also added the typical number of merchants we use depending on the size of the locality.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:52:42 AM »
Hi,

I have added an adaption of a goal-based XP system for Rolemaster, along with example goal difficulties for a variety of tasks, to the house rules document. Please note that the amount of XPs handed out differs considerably from the numbers listed in the RM Express pdf.

As usual the document can be found at http://www.joergjahnke.de/roleplaying_en.html.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
The examples you give are very useful, thanks! I have yet to decide if I'll use your table, the one I made (which is quite similar but not identical) or the one in RME...
One question: I see that you also have rules for kill points and other things, do you use them together with the goal based system?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Depending on the GM (everyone in the group takes turns in GMing, but not everyone is convinced of goal-based XPs yet) we will use either the goal-based system or the standard RM XP rules, but never a combination. In think in a few weeks we will have agreed on one system and finally toss out the other (but perhaps we will still keep the former XP house rules for the old XP rules in the document).

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »
OK, thanks!  ;D

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
Hi,

I have updated the House Rules document and did a bit of reorganization, moving the Middle-Earth specific rules into a separate chapter. Otherwise there are no changes.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »
Hi,

I have added a rule for OB modifications for unarmed combat when the shield arm becomes useless. There are some criticals where the shield arm gets useless but there is no penalty except that the shield cannot be used anymore. An unarmed combatant is - according to the normal rules - seemingly unharmed by such criticals. In such cases of a useless arm we give a penalty of -20.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 03:35:39 AM »
A -20 penalty seems too little to me: an arm broken not only prevents the use of 2 handed weapons, but also makes truly hard each task which requires the use of 2 hands and/or balance (and combat requires both)... I would give a -50 penalty to unarmed combat OB and some penalty (like -25 ) even to 1 handed combat OB: if you have an harm broken and you move around swinging your weapon with the other the pain from the wound will make you see the stars...  :cry2:

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 06:16:55 AM »
A -20 penalty seems too little to me: an arm broken not only prevents the use of 2 handed weapons, but also makes truly hard each task which requires the use of 2 hands and/or balance (and combat requires both)... I would give a -50 penalty to unarmed combat OB

-50 is a penalty that many criticals mention for a broken leg or a severed muscle in the leg. And that IMO makes combat much harder than "just" a broken arm. It might be that a slightly higher penalty than -20 would also be appropriate, but -50 seems way too high to me. Of course it is up to you to make the rules for your group.

and some penalty (like -25 ) even to 1 handed combat OB: if you have an harm broken and you move around swinging your weapon with the other the pain from the wound will make you see the stars...  :cry2:

I agree that such an injury should normally have a negative impact also on combat with a one-handed weapon wielded in the other hand. But for one-handed weapons we still stick to the normal rules. So if the critical description does not mention an activity penalty we don't add one in that case. Not being able to use the shield or a two-handed weapon might then be the only penalty.

We assume that martial arts combat involves the use of both arms and legs for attacks. If one limb is missing that makes attacking harder. For one-handed weapons we assume that only the hand wielding the weapon is used for attacks. The other arm is then not used for attacks and can, kind of, be made useless without negative impact on the attacks. Of course, depending on the exact injury, the pain might lead to an activity penalty. But if the critical does not indicate this, then we don't add such a penalty - and I simply don't want to adjust every critical that is missing such a penalty.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »

-50 is a penalty that many criticals mention for a broken leg or a severed muscle in the leg. And that IMO makes combat much harder than "just" a broken arm. It might be that a slightly higher penalty than -20 would also be appropriate, but -50 seems way too high to me.

Oh, I thought that penalties for leg wounds were higher (I thought that they were around -70 but obviously my memory was faulty...)... then I must agree with you that -50 for a broken arm could be too much.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 07:17:38 AM »
Penalties for leg injuries are sometimes as high as -75 (for a broken hip, or in the Sorcerer's Break Limb spell description), but also as low as -50 for a broken leg in some critical descriptions IIRC or -40 for a slashed muscle in the leg. So we thought that -20 would be OK for a broken arm. Anyway, anyone is free to change this number as he feels appropritate.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 04:57:50 AM »
Rasyr's RMC rule from the thread Parrying with a missile weapon seems nice to me, so that I added this rule also to our house rules document. As always it can be found in the house rules section on my homepage.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »
After a long break I have added another house rule. This one allows a character rapid skill development beyond the number of ranks normally allowed and up to the number of ranks he could have learned had he started to fully develop the skill from level 1 onwards.