Author Topic: Where will you buy your HARP Fantasy?  (Read 10859 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Where will you buy your HARP Fantasy?
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:23:50 AM »
As I prepare to make final checks on the HARP Fantasy layout, we would like (just as with unified Rolemaster) to get your input on where you would expect to purchase print versions of HARP. It's been a very long time since anything for HARP has been available in distribution, so we need to gather data on what would be a sensible print run, hence time for a poll as one data point.

Once again, pdf versions of HARP Fantasy will be available via OneBookShelf as will print-on-demand versions.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Where will you buy your HARP Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
Personally I'd prefer an online retailer, but I'd try OneBookShelf if I could not get the books at any online retailer.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »
Now, I chose #2 because I would prefer to pick it up in a store, but I am OK with ordering it on-line, as well. (Either from OnebooksShelf or somewhere else.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
Around me there aren't that many physical gaming stores, and the ones that do exist are in parts of the city I don't like driving in. So I'll order straight from ICE or use some other online store.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
Same price and quality from OneBookShelf as in store?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
I checked both retailer and POD option.

Normally I try to get the books from a local retailer to cut down on the shipping costs, but lately I have often wanted to get the option where you can get both the PDF and Print at a single cost so I am a bit divided on which I will use most in the future.
ICE products have always been hard to come by in Sweden. Had huge problems when I wanted to get RMC books when they where available, RMSS/FRP book where easier to get though.

I do love to have pdf copies of the books I use on my computer so I don't have to carry my whole library of books when prepping adventures. But we do still use the dead tree versions at the gaming table since we feel that computers remove the attention from the game. Probably will lean towards the PoD option unless I can get the product more locally and download the PDF from another source at a cheaper cost. It all comes down to the price.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
I voted for my FLGS as my preferred source for a printed HARP Fantasy book.  However I will probably get a pdf copy as well and am certainly not opposed to POD if that is what your business case dictates.
-Pyrotech

Offline Sean Barley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
I have been waiting for HARP to be available again!! I will go with the pdf and print. Just need to figure out the screen capture part that was on one of the other treads.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »
I want a printed version, I'd prefer it not to be PoD, but I'll take a PoD as well, especially since I have no local store.

Offline talsharien

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
Print on Demand works well for HARP Sci-Fi, why expose yourselves to the excessive cost of distribution to shops. Keep the material coming and I will purchase online.

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »
I checked FLGS, as well as Something Else, as I also buy the PDFs.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:25 AM »
The local store in town don't really have any rpgs anymore, just tons and tons of board games and lego... and of course those terrible, horrible ccgs. I order online only (have been for some time), and OBS is as good as any. If amazon had it that would be even better, but pod is way better than pdf-only. I like the feel of dead tree in my hands. Although a kindle version could be cool :P
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I doubt I'll ever buy a printed version of any gaming book. PDF all the way for me.

Offline jd.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
Well, I'm a special case. Ever since I asked her to buy me a board game for Christmas, my mother-in-law has been enjoying her bi-yearly trips to the FLGS (her town), because she felt those people were awfully nice. (Plus, as she put it, she "finally understood what planet [I ] come from".) And as a general rule, I prefer buying from a FLGS anyway.

So yeah, I'd love to ask her for a copy of the new HARP for my next birthday. (I'm elaborating there as it seems more relevant. I hope I got that right.)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »
Well, I'm a special case. Ever since I asked her to buy me a board game for Christmas, my mother-in-law has been enjoying her bi-yearly trips to the FLGS (her town), because she felt those people were awfully nice. (Plus, as she put it, she "finally understood what planet [I ] come from".) And as a general rule, I prefer buying from a FLGS anyway.
OMG! That is so cute. I don't think my mother ever got it. (Or cared for it.) But that is fantastic. Go M-I-L!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »

So yeah, I'd love to ask her for a copy of the new HARP for my next birthday. (I'm elaborating there as it seems more relevant. I hope I got that right.)

It will be available by pdf and print-on-demand first. We hope to get it into FLGS, but we need to come to a conclusion as to what level of demand there is as that requires some sort of print run and neither we nor our printing partner want to print too many.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
I quick question of mine:

Will the impending HARP Fantasy book include the new monster creation rules, or is that slated for the update to Monsters A Field Guide?

If it is I may have to skip breakfast for a couple weeks to make sure I have the PDF sooner rather than later. 

Man Gen Con got a lot more expensive when my wife, daughter and niece all decided it was fun too and want to go.  :D

Pyrotech

-Pyrotech

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
HARP Fantasy has monsters created using the new rules, but not the monster creation system itself.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Steel Rabbit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I eat words for breakfast.
    • Playing Non-Stop
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »
I always shop at my FLGS over online retailers.

Offline Puin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RM2+RMC. Waiting for RMU!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
I'll go for the PDF, and if it still suits our gaming style I'll go for the PoD !!

Don't kill more trees than necesary nor don't expend money or resources in distribution.

Just my thoughts.   :D