Author Topic: Earning points - What counts?  (Read 7688 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Earning points - What counts?
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
I know running games and promoting ICE products counts towards points. But what about other things?
Here is a list of several things that should earn some points:
1. Creating character sheets for download.
2. Creating automated character sheets.
3. Creating adventures for ICE games.
4. Writing the script for other programs. For example I am in the process of creating the Treasure tables from the HARP Fantasy book in NBOS's Inspiration Pad Pro. The PC version is free (the Android App costs like $1.60), I am creating the tables so they will work in both the PC and Android versions. I may also eventually get to work on the Hero Lab character sheet for HARP, but that is a difficult learning curve. I may actually attempt to do this in NBOS's free character sheet maker (it uses Javascript). I am currently nearing the completion of the PDF HARP Fantasy automated character generator (uses Acroscript, an enhanced version of Javascript).
5. Re-developing the characters currently in the Vault for the (revised) HARP rules.
Please note I am talking about official rules stuff that would be available for DL in the Vault.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Earning points - What counts?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:38:54 AM »
Bruce,
 I would also PM Colin with your questions above as they are good ones, IMHO.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
Here are just some of the opportunities to earn points.

• Running a Demo Session - 40 DP per session that you run
  • Demo Session Referrals - 30 DP for each new member that joins up on the ICE Forums, completes a new Member Form and references your Demo
  • ICE Forum Referrals - 10 DP for each new member to the ICE Forums who completes a new Member Form and credits you for the referral
  • Product Reviews - 10 DP for each product review you post in a blog, forum or at one of the OneBookShelf stores (RPGNow.com or DriveThruRPG.com)
  • ICE Articles - 5 DP for each article related to an ICE Game or Setting published in an Industry Newsletter, e-zine or hardcopy (Including The Guild Companion)
  • ICE Contests - 5 DP for each contest submittal during an ICE Contest Playtesting Products – 30 DP when you actively participate in the playtest of a new ICE product and provide useful feedback (upon ICE request only)

In response to your specific inquiries -
  • Character Sheets for Download would be equivalent to ICE Contest submittals (5DP for each one).
  • Automated Character Sheets (10DP for each one).
  • Adventures could be anywhere evaluated as anywhere between a short filler adventure (5DP) up to a full and complete adventure (40DP) - and good enough quality could lead to even more including possible publication.
  • Scripts for other programs - key issue here is IP control.  I strongly recommend you review these projects with John Seal (John@ironcrown.com) before you do too much with them.  Anything that is charged for must be licensed, and some freebies may not be permitted.
  • Updating previously submitted material - probably 5DP for each assuming it is simply characters or static character sheets... updating an automated character sheet would be 10DP, updating an adventure would be similar to submitting a new adventure.
A few key things to keep in mind on this...
* We request that you highlight activities you are doing.  We could try to identify awards ourselves, but if we miss something we'd feel bad about it - so we put the responsibility on you because you know what you are doing. :)
* If you have activities from earlier this year that you have done but did not credit for, please let me know and I'll review it to see if we can give credit.
* If there are other things that you are doing that contribute to ICE and you'd like credit for, feel free to send an email to OIC@ironcrown.com and we'll review it and get back to you.
* Finally - keep in mind that ICE is continuously keeping our eyes open for fresh, new talent to help with open projects.  If you are submitting a lot of adventures or developing sample characters, etc. then you may be noticed and asked to contribute.  So if you are interested in doing some freelance work for a game you love - and actually get paid for your efforts, there is no better way to start than to be an actively contributing member of the OIC.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline MikeG

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
And then will they be tallyed on our forum header lol
 :o

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
Yes - and I just credited you the 10DP for your reference...  :)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »
So where do we see what are point totals are? I'm not sure how many points I have as of yet. FYI, I have reviews since last year for the 3 core HARP products (on Drivethru/RPGNow). I've also put in like 3 or 4 character sheets (HARP Fantasy and SF) so far and am working on an extensive automated one for HARP Fantasy. I just recently submitted some HARP treasure generator files for use in the NBOS freeware "Inspiration Pad Pro".
I've also ran one demo last year and at least one person joined this list that I know of, though I have no idea what his ID is here.

I've put in for two other demos and asked for some hard copies of the books to give away after the game, it was promised but I have not seen anything on that....

So how many points do I have???

Bruce

EDIT: I also have a Belynar central plateau map in the vault that I redid in Adobe Illustrator...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Your OIC points show up under your name, your post total on the left side of your posts. Right now I see your OIC Points being 0/0.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
Yeah, I kind of figured that out. I just wanted to see what they would say once I pointed out all the things I have done over the past year....

I was incorrect, I had at least two people from that demo that signed up on these lists.... The ones name on here was Dogsaint. He's a good friend now. The other I haven't talked to in months.

Bruce

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that things have not worked out like they were supposed to I am sure Thom will get it straitened out.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
We've decided to go back to January 1, 2014, so anything that you feel qualifies and occurred on or after January 1, 2014 - please send a message to OIC@ironcrown.com and we'll evaluate it, then update your online record.  I keep a spreadsheet of awarded points so you can always contact me if you have a question as to what you earned, what it was for, and what you have used in seeking awards.

Assuming all of these things occurred in 2014.....
3 reviews = 30DP    (Send an email to OIC@ironcrown.com with links to the reviews)
3 character sheets = 15DP     (Identify the specific files that you uploaded)
1 automated sheet = 10DP      (Identify the specific file that you uploaded)
HARP treasure generator = 8DP (Identify specific file)
1 Demo = 40DP  (Reference Demo date and location)
2 Demo Referral = 60DP    (Have the Referred individuals send an IM to me, or email to OIC@ironcrown.com)
1 artwork file = 5DP     (Identify specific file)

Complete the actions above, and if they were in 2014, you'll receive 168 DP.  It will read as 168/168.
The First # is how many points you have left to spend.  The second # is how many you have earned ever. It will continue to update regardless of what you have cashed in for items or discounts.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
Well considering all the reviews were last year when I purchased the updated books and the demo I ran was last year along with the people joining the forums last year I guess most of that doesn't count, figures.

As far as the other two demos, I never received any kind of prizes to give out, so I cancelled the demos. You had said you had my address and were going to send a prize package but nothing was ever received. I was talking back and forth through email with you Thom, then you stopped responding. I had planned a pretty good HARP SF demo planned at that and even planned on actually running that specific demo at Gencon next year, it was a horror sci fi adventure inspired by games and movies such as Deadspace, Fear, Alien, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

The files in the vault are in my name "Bruce", two of the character sheets are the first two items in the recent downloads. They are, HARP SF Character sheet (Fillable), and HARP Fantasy PC PDF form (Beta). The map is the "-no title-Belynar central plateau" and is the 5th item in the recent files list. The other HARP character sheet is in the vault but was uploaded in November of last year.  The HARP treasure generator files are still awaiting approval to be added to the vault as I just submitted them last week. I have to do an update as I found an error, on the "Rich Magic" table on the second Runes roll, it has an added Potions listing. So that is an error I have fixed.

FYI, I am getting ready to try and start another group at the "other" local game store, Mr. Sweets Candy and Games. Though I plan on running this into a regular game for playtesting the other things I am working on for a possible book in HARP Fantasy.
If you want to send a prize package (to maybe make up for the previous cancelled demos) for that I will get to work on it much sooner than planned. All I really need to do is the ad/sign up list.

Bruce

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »
I'll review the files and credit for those.
For the demos this year you were sent prize certificates for both players and a single prize winner.
We tend to use these certificates as they minimize cost (no shipping/handling fees to deal with), and they help promote new products that we don't have in hardcopy inventory.  Those certificates were designed for HARP SF, but if you did not award them you can still use them.  If you plan to focus on HARP, let me know and we can provide similar certificates for HARP.

Thanks for your support.

Thom

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
If you would like I can resend the email (our entire conversation on the subject) on the HARP SF demo. There is more than just what I have mentioned here. It was a conversation about how much more a physical book can draw people in better than PDF copies.
Regardless, I have some more ICE products I've purchased within the last year that I haven't put reviews on yet. Not to mention there are a lot of ICE products on RPGnow that I own or have owned in the past that I can put reviews on.

I also noticed that not many people have put reviews in on many of the ICE titles on RPGnow, I wonder why.

I have other tables that I want to develop for use with Inspiration Pad Pro. Like the encounter tables. I am developing these mainly just for me but since I know I need them, I figure more people would like to use them. These files can be extremely useful for a GM in a game, plus the Inspiration Pad Pro program is free for PC.
Bruce

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
No need to resend, I found the email exchange you are referring to... yes, I failed to send out the small prize pack bundle that you requested.  My apologies for that failure. 

I expect that in most cases we'll hold with focusing on the awards being certificates until such time that we have inventory stores of new products available for use.

In regards to the reviews, we welcome them on any and all products we sell on RPGNow.com.  As we can't post reviews ourselves, we rely on you, the fans, to let us, and everyone else, know what you think of these products.

Thanks for all of your support to date - please keep up the great work!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »
is it just RPGNow.com or is it also its other interation DriveThroughRPG.com?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
Reviews can be done anywhere.... RPGNow.com is the one that we regularly mention, but both DriveThruRPG and RPGNow are active points of sale.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
FYI, RPGNow and DriveThruRPG are actually the same site. I can access my same wish list on either site and my reviews are the same on both sites. They used to be different though. I believe one was global the other wasn't, not sure.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:54 AM »
Bruce,
 I know about the same site bis, but as you said there was a time when the review on one did not transfer onto the other.

I am glad that they have it fixed now.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
  • ICE Articles - 5 DP for each article related to an ICE Game or Setting published in an Industry Newsletter, e-zine or hardcopy (Including The Guild Companion)
Can I have 5 points? Please  :D
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
Peter R,
 I think you should send your request directly to Thom with a link to your blog, article, etc.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.