Author Topic: Hybrid casters and table T-4.6  (Read 1197 times)

Offline tolcreator

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hybrid casters and table T-4.6
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
Playing a shiny new hybrid caster (Astrologer) and I'm wondering how to use table T-4.6 (on page 47 of RMFRP, the Spell Casting Modifications table).

I presume if I cast an open or closed Mentalism spell, I shall use the modifiers on the Mentalism column. If I cast an open or closed Channeling spell, I shall use the modifiers on the Channeling column. But what if I cast one of my base spells?
Do I average each modifier? Take the worst of both? The best of both? Are there guidelines I've missed, and if not, what do other people do?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Hybrid casters and table T-4.6
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
RMSR pg 26 says, "When casting one of the spells from his base lists, he suffers the interference from both realms." I take that as meaning it's the worst of both.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tolcreator

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
Yep that does make the most sense.

Also I note that it says for the base attack roll, for resisted spells, use the most advantageous to the target of the 2 realms used.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
Yep, that's how it's always been in RM.  You get the advantages of two realms... and the disadvantages of two realms.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss