Author Topic: Director's Briefing - February 2017  (Read 2658 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - February 2017
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
Welcome

To the sixty-ninth Briefing and the second scheduled Briefing of 2017.

I am sneaking this Briefing out during an intermission in the post-semester marking nightmare - my marking is complete but my colleagues will at some arbitrary point descend on me with requests to moderate samples of their marking, but one way or another it will be all over by 10th Feb.

Software

Courtesy of Max, we have another new ERA dataset. Now it is the time of the RMSS Arcane Companion to step into the limelight. The new dataset includes the 4 professions, the 4 attack tables, the 2 critical tables, all 46 spell lists, and a brand new realm with 2 additional spell fumble columns.

This ERA dataset is now available for purchase on the OneBookShelf webstore network at:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/204330/ERA-for-Rolemaster-RMSSFRP-Arcane-Companion&affiliate_id=76493

RMU

Creature Law is becoming tractable. The talents and flaws in Creature Law have been collated and winnowed down from well over six hundred to 280. That is still a lot but given the diversity of creatures covered in Creature Law, it is major progress and creatures can be reconstructed from this more concise foundation.

HARP

John Duffield has beaten the rest of us on the HARP Bestiary team to the punch by finishing his Lycanthrope chapter.

Terry is battling through the HARP Folkways layout and you can blame me for making a "helpful" suggestion that has slowed him down. HARP Folkways introduces various new professions and I thought that they should have their own dedicated page, so one page per profession. Terry implemented this and sent some samples, pointing out that there was considerable white space. I suggested that we could have the professional ability definitions appear in this space - this would avoid folks have to flip between profession and talent sections of the book for new talents introduced in Folkways, and more to the point, avoid the need to flip between Folkways and other HARP books. Now given the physical books, you are all well able to prop multiple books open and do the multibook hop, but is an inconvenience, and I find hopping between multiple ebook versions much more awkward (try following the witty footnotes in a Kindle version of a Discworld novel  compared to just glancing at the bottom of the printed page.)

Clint Fell is currently working on a full proposal for a HARP SF vehicles compendium.

Shadow World

Terry is focusing on finishing Haalkitaine in terms of his writing. I will endeavour to keep him focused.

Until next time

The next scheduled Briefing will be in March 2017

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Director's Briefing - February 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:13:58 AM »
RMU

Creature Law is becoming tractable. The talents and flaws in Creature Law have been collated and winnowed down from well over six hundred to 280. That is still a lot but given the diversity of creatures covered in Creature Law, it is major progress and creatures can be reconstructed from this more concise foundation.

Sounds like a good move. Would it be possible to publish the revised list of talents and flaws on the forum so we can provide feedback on the mechanics?
/Pa Staav

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
Welcome

To the sixty-ninth Briefing and the second scheduled Briefing of 2017.

I am sneaking this Briefing out during an intermission in the post-semester marking nightmare - my marking is complete but my colleagues will at some arbitrary point descend on me with requests to moderate samples of their marking, but one way or another it will be all over by 10th Feb.

Software

Courtesy of Max, we have another new ERA dataset. Now it is the time of the RMSS Arcane Companion to step into the limelight. The new dataset includes the 4 professions, the 4 attack tables, the 2 critical tables, all 46 spell lists, and a brand new realm with 2 additional spell fumble columns.

This ERA dataset is now available for purchase on the OneBookShelf webstore network at:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/204330/ERA-for-Rolemaster-RMSSFRP-Arcane-Companion&affiliate_id=76493

RMU

HARP

John Duffield has beaten the rest of us on the HARP Bestiary team to the punch by finishing his Lycanthrope chapter.

Terry is battling through the HARP Folkways layout and you can blame me for making a "helpful" suggestion that has slowed him down. HARP Folkways introduces various new professions and I thought that they should have their own dedicated page, so one page per profession. Terry implemented this and sent some samples, pointing out that there was considerable white space. I suggested that we could have the professional ability definitions appear in this space - this would avoid folks have to flip between profession and talent sections of the book for new talents introduced in Folkways, and more to the point, avoid the need to flip between Folkways and other HARP books. Now given the physical books, you are all well able to prop multiple books open and do the multibook hop, but is an inconvenience, and I find hopping between multiple ebook versions much more awkward (try following the witty footnotes in a Kindle version of a Discworld novel  compared to just glancing at the bottom of the printed page.)

Clint Fell is currently working on a full proposal for a HARP SF vehicles compendium.

Shadow World

Terry is focusing on finishing Haalkitaine in terms of his writing. I will endeavour to keep him focused.

Until next time

The next scheduled Briefing will be in March 2017

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Nicholas has me busy! :-)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
It's looking like a new edition of Haalkitaine. It will include:

• Large, all-new adventure section featuring 9 full adventure scenarios (Haalkitaine previously had no Adventures)
• New map of the sewer network
• Detailed layout of the catacombs deep under the city
• Added detail throughout, including the Imperial Palace and villas.
• More about court life and intrigue

After that, it is looking like Emer IV might pass NE Jaiman, which I got kind of stuck on.

Also a couple of other projects I am editing...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
Emer IV! Very much looking forward to that one. Any tantalizing tidbits to keep us warm on cold winter nights?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline grodog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
It's looking like a new edition of Haalkitaine. It will include:
• Large, all-new adventure section featuring 9 full adventure scenarios (Haalkitaine previously had no Adventures)
• New map of the sewer network
• Detailed layout of the catacombs deep under the city
• Added detail throughout, including the Imperial Palace and villas.
• More about court life and intrigue

How large will the maps be in the new edition of Haalkitaine, Terry?

Allan.