Author Topic: Magic item and spell-casting costs  (Read 911 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magic item and spell-casting costs
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
Greetings,
As I get ready to restart my campaign, I'm looking at the RM2 rules, and my house rules, for figuring the costs of magic items or having an NPC cast a spell for the party. I'm curious what others have done for item pricing, if they deviated from the guidelines in RM2 Rolemaster section 7.

We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magic item and spell-casting costs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:14 AM »
I've always used the price given in the book as the base average for a middle class city.  I adjust the price for what I feel the demand is for the locale, how much coinage/loot the party has, and how I feel about the group having a particular item.  If it's not going to impact game play too much, then the cost isn't an issue.  If it's something significant, I make sure their purse strings feel it.  Coinage/loot isn't really a determining factor for our games.  If the GM wants the group to have more money, it's easy enough to do when the loot the bodies of the dead, pickpockets in crowds, or burglarize a house.  You can award as much loot as you choose.  I guess for us, gold is irrelevant.  In one campaign the group had so much loot, I made them account for the weight of all the gold they were carrying and they couldn't carry it all.  They were leaving silver behind, much gold, and looking for only gems to carry, no where near a city to spend it.

I've never let them flat out purchase something stellar like a +25 Holy Battle Axe that does an additional "C" Cold crit on impact.  No no no.... they have to EARN that one  8)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!