Author Topic: Battlemap movements  (Read 1643 times)

Offline cyberfranck

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Battlemap movements
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
How do you guys rule movement over battle maps ?
Unless i have been miss calculating the movement for a long time, how do you rule a 42' movement on a battlemap ?

The only common ground is 1' increment but that does make huge battle maps to play on and it is completely insane. My second tough was to use the D&D format of 5' per square but even there i need rounding. So if i use normal rounding 42' (round to 40) player complain that he gets 8 squares while the 43' (round to 45) player gets 9 and if i round up my 45' player complain that the 42' player gets the same movement. Any comments of personal experience and/or magical formula ?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Battlemap movements
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
We use hexes, defaulting to 5' each. Character movement (in feet) is divided by 5. If a player insist, we sometimes allow for example 6.5 hexes to be 6 hexes on the first round, 7 on the second round of consecutive movement.

I try to heavily penalize movement at more than 2x, explaining to the players that more than that and no map could contain the battles.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
We use 5' hexes too, and round off. Spacemaster uses 1 meter (3 foot) hexes, but again, it is too easy for characters to run off the map.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »
I use 5' square like D&D

You shouldn't need to round movement. Only allow the movement of a full square (or hex) and if the combatant is missing some % of activity, then he shouldn't be able to move that square.

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:15:54 AM »
I also find very useful to precalculate possible movement for the popular paces (run, sprint) in number of squares per round instead of feet by round (based on the normal character stride + normal modifiers)

It becomes a lot easier to manage on the battle map by counting squares instead of calculating distances

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
I also find very useful to precalculate possible movement for the popular paces (run, sprint) in number of squares per round instead of feet by round (based on the normal character stride + normal modifiers)

It becomes a lot easier to manage on the battle map by counting squares instead of calculating distances

I'm going to start doing that too; we play a lot of DnD too, so my players are most familiar with that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
We use 5 ft squares but the scale can easily change to 10 or 20 by different colored dry erase markers.
"It's 5' out to -here- and then we'll go 20' after -here-". Works out ok.
Pace is the only issue, but usually it's just the Monk that has a chance of "running off the map". :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
5' square here in dungeon setting and hexes for outdoor settings. We round down or up. Those are the breaks and the players know.