Author Topic: Personal Force Fields for Harp SF  (Read 1720 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Personal Force Fields for Harp SF
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
Hey all,

I've been working on some ideas for alternative Magneto-Grav shields for Harp SF and the idea of scaling them down to personal level came to me.

I know of a lot of SF genres that have personal protection fields - and have been thinking about how to make such a thing for Harp SF.  Here is one of my ideas.  What do people think about it?
(click to show/hide)

This doesn't provide a lot of additional protection to characters, but does give them an expensive option for another 10 DB if they know about a fight soon enough.  The utility cell only powers the field for a few minutes, so characters will need to carefully choose when to engage their shield.  The whole charging/discharging bit is related a bit to some of my ideas for alternative shields (and all those annoying bridge crewmembers always telling their captains that shields are down to blah percent).  It adds that flavor into the technology, but at the cost of extra fiddling with DB during a combat.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?  Any ways to improve on it?

Thanks,

-Pyrotech

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Personal Force Fields for Harp SF
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »
For me that is far too much bookkeeping for very little return.

I would do something more like the shield grants a +20 bonus, but has a chance of overloading with each hit that gets through the shield (i.e. the character takes damage).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.