Author Topic: Developer's Journal  (Read 70266 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Developer's Journal
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:17:13 AM »
I thought I'd start this thread so that you all could see where we're at and maybe get some insight into the trials and tribulations of a start-up publisher.  I thought I'd start by giving you an update on where we are so far.  These are meant to be my thoughts on paper, just a glimpse into things.  So, be warned.  I'm going to ramble.  These aren?t copyedited. :) Plus, anything I say in here is subject to change.  I might touch on stuff that hasn?t gone through the license approval process yet.

We've been playtesting the setting for about two years now in multiple systems.  Its been going strong and we've been having a lot of fun.

I?m going to start with a note on adventure structure.  We wanted the adventures to be usable by anyone.  They all follow a straightforward plot, but we foresaw two problems, at least with most adventures we've seen.  One, they don't have enough help for a beginning GM (I don't know how many times I've groaned through a new GM beating us to death with a published module).  Second, the structured plot of a module tends to bind people in and makes them frown upon going off-script.

So we've organized the modules according into the three act structure and we've included boxes along the way that describe the dramatic purpose of each section or encounter.  The purpose is two-fold.  One is to help people who don't have a firm grasp of plotting to see under the hood of our game design.  The other is to free up the GM for going off-book.  It doesn't matter what the players do, if they skip something, the GM can glance at its dramatic purpose and find some other way to fill a hole in the plot.  Let me give you an example:

You've seen it in most every piece of adventure fiction you watched or read.  First the good guy runs into a group of bad guys that he can beat easily.  He does so, trouncing them fully.  Only after this romp encounter does he meet a real challenge.  The reason in fiction is that a audience member attaches their wish-fulfillment fantasies to the hero in this first scene.  Only after they?ve done that and fully invested in the hero?s success (they?ve identified with the hero, become his surrogate and vice versa) can you challenge the hero.  If the hero hits a dangerous scene after that and looks about to die, the audience is really on the edge of their seats.  They?ve become him, you see.

The same is true for RPGs, but more so.  The early romp that makes us feel good about ourselves and our characters only heightens the threats that are forthcoming after that.  If you cut the romps and go straight for the big threats, the players are more likely to feel beset-upon and resentful.

So you have your dramatic purpose of the encounter.  If you skip an encounter you don?t have to try to second-guess what purpose it served in storytelling (even plotting experts can screw this up on the fly).  Its? right there for you and you can invent something else that accomplishes the same thing.

As for the overall construction, you have a Teaser, Act One, Act Two and Act Three.  The teasers all take place in an alternate point in the character?s history and tell a parallel plot.  They won?t be for everyone, but they?ve tested well so far.  We can usually complete an adventure in about twenty hours of game play spread over four weeks.

So, where are we at in the overall writing?  I'm developing multiple documents at once.  First of all there is the official playtest of the adventure campaign.  We've already playtested the first adventure, The Throne of God.   It looks to weigh in at somewhere around 48 pages.  Its actually completely written in the RM form (The HARP and d20 versions haven't been done yet, but they should go fast when its time.  Just a matter of plugging in the data from those versions into the master doc.)  We haven't commissioned the art yet.  I'm pretty happy with this one.  I think it?s a nice introduction to the setting and the Church and all its infighting.  It introduces ulcers and I think gives a GM a good feeling for how they act in application, even if a GM decides not to run the adventure series, they can get good use of the adventure.  They'll get it with purchase of the main setting book, so there's no extra charge.

Plus, the teaser has done very well at all the playtests.  I?m thinking about making the first teaser the demo adventure for down load or use at Cons and the like.

The second adventure, The Festering Earth, is very different from the first.  It?s a murder mystery dealing with a serial killer.  This is the piece in the worst current shape because the playtests needed to write it.  A murder mystery is too in-the-moment for a comprehensive pre-write to do much good.  Right now it?s a big pile of stats, character write-ups, crime scenes and timelines with little or no structure.  When it comes time to finish it, it will be like writing it from scratch.

We are in Act Two of the third adventure right now, On Corrupted Ground.  It takes the party into a permanent ulcer that formed over a fallen dwarven kingdom.  It?s going well.  (Personally, I decided that there was no logical way NOT to have a fallen dwarven kingdom in the setting.  So many other kingdoms have fallen, the dwarves would have fallen at least once as well.  Of course, that invites Moria comparisons so I decided that instead of avoiding the issue I?d attack it head on by sending the characters there and just trying to make the place unique enough that everyone forgives the fact that Tolkein did it first).

I think I?ve mentioned in the Press Release that each product is a source book/adventure bundle.  The source books that go with those are, in order, The Echoes of Heaven Campaign Setting, The Last Free City, and The Lost Kingdom of the Dwarves (I?m thinking of changing that one to tap into the bad guy who lives there a bit more, but I haven?t tackled it yet).

So, for The Echoes of Heaven Campaign Setting, I have two parallel documents.  I?m developing the main text of the product at the same time I develop the writers? bible.  Hopefully, this will make future products move faster as there?s a good deal of pre-work done.

I?ve taken a break from writing to do symbol sets.  Since it?s a PDF product, beautifully rendered maps translated into jpgs are going to present printing and download-size issues.  Right now it looks like we?re going to do every map in Campaign Cartographer.  Then if we get different maps for the books that?s fine, you can still download the originals, grab Profantasy?s free demo and print product and print them in whatever size you like.

This also gives us the benefit of doing battle maps.  For years I?ve done all the adventure maps in Campaign Cartographer and printed them in miniature scale (when we were playing at a table, at least).  We would then piece the rooms together as we went and it made for great visual aids.
Anyway, I want to give something back to the CC community on this one, so I?m making different symbol sets for the races in the world.  For instance, I just last night finished a Dwarven city set that you place on the symbol of an existing mountain or hill that looks like the entrance keep to a Dwarven city.  I?ll do the same for Elves and the underhill races (Halflings and Gnomes.)

So that?s where we are.  I?ve got about 100k words in the bag so far, spread out over five products or so.  I?ve got concept art coming in (I?ll try to talk about that in a future entry).  The first bundle, not counting layout and art, is about half to three quarters of the way done.

I plan on posting preview pieces on the site.  Look for the first in the next couple days.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
Re: Developer's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:46:21 AM »
We are in Act Two of the third adventure right now, On Corrupted Ground.? It takes the party into a permanent ulcer that formed over a fallen dwarven kingdom.? It's going well.? (Personally, I decided that there was no logical way NOT to have a fallen dwarven kingdom in the setting.? So many other kingdoms have fallen, the dwarves would have fallen at least once as well.? Of course, that invites Moria comparisons so I decided that instead of avoiding the issue I'd attack it head on by sending the characters there and just trying to make the place unique enough that everyone forgives the fact that Tolkein did it first).

If it's not too late to make a change...  Here's some unsolicited ideas for you to consider if you decide to avoid the Moria scenario.  What if the dwarves isolated themselves to stave off some threat that would bring about their great fall?  Perhaps their population declines to a remanant of its former glory or they decide to remain isolated and someone (an individual or some "corporate" entity i.e. the church) determines to find them.  Maybe the decline of the dwarven population has left the secondary entrances to the city unguarded  :o  and someone has discovered that entrance?

Just offering some alternate ideas in case you're interested.  If not, no worries.  If you do want to use them you have permission to do so (hopefully that covers any legal matters.  :P )
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:51:22 PM »
So are you saying that they only occupy a small portion of their city and orcs occupy the rest?  (Just cruious.)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:11:17 PM »
Defendi,
 For the murder adventure I have seen a timeline work well with a few of the events independent of the time so the characters can experience them. I also seam to remember a murder adventure in the Eberon advetures so if you have them I would take a look at how they did it.

After reading your post "...[Dwarves] occupy small portion of the city and Orcs occupy the rest?". Maybe the Dwarves have been trying to fight off the Orcs for a long time but something has changed and the Orcs have gained the upper hand reciently. Or the Dwarves have had a large military setback. Maybe the Dwarves have decided in the past not to ask for help do to national and racial pride but now they realise they need help. If their is no magical teleport type spells maybe the Dwarves have been cut off from the rest of the civs for a time. How about if the Dwarves prayed to thier diety who moved them forward in time or hid them for years till a time they had more of a chance of military sucess against the Orcs. Or maybe it was a spell that turned them to stone for centries to hide from the Orcs, and then puff the spell's effect wears off and they are ready to attack the supprised orcs.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:03:24 AM »
This country is currently an ulcer (more on that in the preview material) and the launch pad for attack after attack into the civilized world.  I don't think this idea would work here, but if you'd like, I'll hold onto the idea for the future.  I'll let you know if I ever decide to use it.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:10:36 AM »
You know the Ebberon adventure's name offhand, BTW?  I probably own it but haven't opened it.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:56:52 AM »
 Luckely I found it Whispers of the Vampires Blade, but it was not what I remembered it to be. Instead it said it was an event based adventure. In other words it describes some big events that the players needed to go through to continue the story as well as describes some smaller events that could happen any time. It described what should happen at these big events and why they needed to occure to advance the plot. After thinking on it I think this maybe the best way to go with some paragraphs saying if this happened allready..then this happens or if this did not happen then..this happens. IMO you would try and keep it simple as the more if's you have the more writing you have to do and then more of the product is not used. For example if you have 3 ways to get to the end of the adventure you are writing 3 modules with the same ending and the players will only use 1/3 of the book you have written. 

Now that I think about it, the murder adventure might have been a Vampire the Masquerade product. I think it was the 1st of a 3 part adventure set in the middle ages, Vampire: The Dark Ages . I have looked around here and can not find it so it is probably in storage. But I will keep looking. I think some of the other Vampire products might be the same such as the series that deals with the Night of the Comet. I think these gave a timeline and had the characters interact with it but I do not have them. 

I will keep my eye out for anything that might help.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »
BTW, I would open up the Eberon adventures and just thumb through them as they are not a bad read and farily well layed out.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:24:06 AM »
Defendi regarding the Ulcer in the Kingdom of Dwarves and the fact that this may seem too similar to Moria don't worry.. there are several ideas you can follow and if develop a great plot behind the origin of the ulcer (and if the "look" of the dwarven realm is different) no one will find it similar. I have played the videogame Morrowind where there are a lot of old Dwarven city left in ruin.. all the dwarves had dissapear in nothing.. no one remains.. the story, the special and new look of the dwarven cities make all very different.  ;D

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
So are you saying that they only occupy a small portion of their city and orcs occupy the rest?? (Just cruious.)

Or it's mostly empty and the dwarves have retreated to the lower depths of their city for protection.? The rest of the city is deserted or populated by squatters of various races (previously unseen in the world) or mostly moster type beasties.?

Perhaps the dwarves and orcs populate the lower half of the city and the upper half is deserted?? In this case the dwarves and orcs may have been fighting a long war of attrition.? Could it be that the orcs might win a protracted war and the dwarves need a "savior" - a group of people to bring enough help that brings about the cleansing of their city.? Maybe that help could be teaching the dwarves some different tactics to use in their war against the orcs (equal numbers plus superior tactics usually wins wars.)?

Maybe a lone dwarf has wandered into the lands of men seeking aid for his dying city.? Could this lone dwarf be a pariah (for believing the dwarves need help) that ends up being a hero at the last?

Sounds like I spurred some creativity. 8)? ? Yeah!? ? ;D? Keep the questions coming.? They're helping me find a place for the dwarves in my world.? ?:)

Then re-reading your following posts...
Perhaps the orces have cornered the dwarves in the lower sectors of the city and are using their extra population to raid the surrounding countryside.  Could there be a large section of the city that flanks the orcs and is above the dwarves allowing a difficult but unobstructed path to help the dwarves?  Just trying to spur creativity.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:44:04 AM by Maelstrom »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 08:48:15 AM »
Here's another thought...

What if the dwarves themselves are the ulcer and they've decided that the only way to fix the world is to conquer it?  :smash:  When confronted about their evil they promise they'll grant freedom once the world is put right.  :police:  We all know their lying of course.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 12:44:05 AM »
Alright, it's been a good week, although it doesn't feel as productive as it really was.  I accomplished the normal tasks, wrote the next preview, sent out material for ICE approval and got it back.  Input copy edits.  One of my copy editors went nuts on the edits but it was all really good stuff.  I'm thinking about promoting him (not that there's a pay increase or anything).

The main thrust of new work this week were the map symbols.  Simon over at Profantasy suggested that I create a new symbol set to draw CC2 users to the company website.  I hammered on them all week, creating city symbols for dwarves, elves, halflings and gnomes.  I like the dwarves and the elves best, personally.

But that took TIME.  I had no idea how long it took to make symbols.  I probably spent forty hours on the task.

That isn't every symbol I'm going to do.  I'm taking a break to work on the main map.  When its done, I'll do some flooring symbols for the dungeons, so that if someone wants to print them in miniature scale, they'll look good.

I also wrapped up a few NPCs in RM.  There were a couple that hadn't been fully written up during the playtest of the second adventure.  I didn't think the caharacters would actually attack these people so I hadn't fully statted them.  Now all the characters are statted.  In RM at least.

We didn't get as much done on the third adventure's playtest this week as I wanted.  I arrived to find that the people who were hosting hadn't finished the day's move (they were changing houses), so we started some three hours behind schedule and we probably only got an hour and a half in the remaining three hours or so.  Everyone was tired.  Still they're in the main part of act two now, dropping orcs with slumber mists and trying to winnow as many of the  number as they can before the general alarm goes off and they have to fight everyone in the keep.  I expect an epic battle this Saturday.

I had a "doh!" moment, though.  I forgot that ulcers blocked divination spells.  Its funny, 'cause I mentioned it at the game, I talked about a lot of the implications, I even mentioned how the walls set off the Paladin's detect enemies spell.  Still, I forgot that this meant detect enemies couldn't see through solid ulcer-matter.  Doh!

But it didn't effect anything.  Their tactics would have worked just as well with a little sneaking and cracking doors (the spell just needs an opening, it doesn't have to be huge).  In the end, all they really learned was that the keep has four or five levels to it.  If that was a real spoiler, I wouldn't  be writing it here.  They could figure that out wit a little math and observation.

Anyway, not a bad week.  This week:  Maps!!!!

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 03:09:49 AM »
 :o Defendi you are using profantasy to draw maps.. i can understand that is a good program and that probably is faster (and cheap to use it instead to find one that can draw map for you.. but please.. don't give the maps that "old fantasy videogame" feel that most of the profantasy maps have.. that will ruin all the atmosphere..  ::) i will like  to see some gothic/dark arts in your modules.. with old looking maps like that of piri-rei. I fo't know very much about profantasy but its possible to make maps like on "old paper" or something similar?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:49 AM »
I'm afraid there might not be a lot we can do about that.  We'll see how things develop.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 06:25:08 AM »
maybe some "photoshoping" on finished maps..  ;D

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 06:34:26 AM »
If you'd like, I'll send you a map or two I've done so you can see what they look like.  :)

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 08:09:56 AM »
If you'd like, I'll send you a map or two I've done so you can see what they look like.? :)

Maybe put it in a press-release or TGC article. ;D Perhaps make a mini-adventure that starts the characters careers?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 08:49:12 AM »
I've already got that planned, though I don't know about GC (haven't talked to them about it).  No maps, though.  :)

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
If you'd like, I'll send you a map or two I've done so you can see what they look like.  :)

i will be more than happy to see them, even a small one just to have an idea of their style  ;D

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »
Send me  a private message with you're e-mail.  Do you have CC2 or the veiwer printer?  Tell me that in the message too.  :)