Author Topic: How would you describe Tarahir?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
How would you describe Tarahir?
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:17:52 AM »
Tarahir, as I interpret the way the book describes it, is a cultural center of varied peoples. But not much more is given on this city.
Things I assume from what I have read in the book:
1. It is walled and has military defenses
2. It is a large city
3. (Big assumption here) The city itself is primarily separate by cultures and secondarily by social class.
That is about all I have so far.
I am thinking it is somewhat like Rome where the mage college replaces the Vatican. I may in fact use Rome as the model for the map (if I ever get around to creating it).
I am trying to put together a mostly complete picture because my group will be venturing there sometime in the future just before the exodus.
Then there is the fall and how it happens.... the woes of being a GM.

I am also highly interested in what everyone thinks of the surrounding cities that rely on Tarahir for support.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Random

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How would you describe Tarahir?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:37:06 AM »
In my head it's like Constantinople.
But I'm flavoring the setting as late dark ages/early medieval so that skews my view.

3. (Big assumption here) The city itself is primarily separate by cultures and secondarily by social class.
That is about all I have so far.

Not sure here, vague concepts in my head of an old city populated by the cities elite and wealthy.  It's been a melting pot long enough to have formed it's own city-centric culture where you are either 'of the City' or an outsider.
The old city surrounds two hills on one sits the temple district dominated by the temples of Memra and Miah-sha and all of their attendant gods and goddess's with only Nigal's temple rivaling then in size and grandeur.  On the other sits the Mage Quarter, once the opulent home to the Narsin it became home to the to the few Mages remained when the Narsin left.  Those mages that stayed eventually formed the Alchemists & Mages guilds.  It is also home to those merchants that deal in magical goods.

Around all this are all the other things that you would expect to fine small cultural districts, various markets, homes (Of various quality), warehouses etc.

That's my take anyway.

Thanks for asking the question some of that stuff had to get out of my head........it was quickly replaced by more......oh the notions.

Edited: Because of the speed of thought.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
In my head it's like Constantinople.
But I'm flavoring the setting as late dark ages/early medieval so that skews my view.

Not sure here, vague concepts in my head of an old city populated by the cities elite and wealthy.  It's been a melting pot long enough to have formed it's own city-centric culture where you are either 'of the City' or an outsider.
The old city surrounds two hills on one sits the temple district dominated by the temples of Memra and Miah-sha and all of their attendant gods and goddess's with only Nigal's temple rivaling then in size and grandeur.  On the other sits the Mage Quarter, once the opulent home to the Narsin it became home to the to the few Mages remained when the Narsin left.  Those mages that stayed eventually formed the Alchemists & Mages guilds.  It is also home to those merchants that deal in magical goods.

Around all this are all the other things that you would expect to fine small cultural districts, various markets, homes (Of various quality), warehouses etc.

That's my take anyway.

Thanks for asking the question some of that stuff had to get out of my head........it was quickly replaced by more......oh the notions.

Edited: Because of the speed of thought.
I know it's been awhile but I had no idea that someone had posted a link. I may have glanced at this before but for some reason did not reply.

I like what you've come up with there. It makes sense and adds some color to the city. Is there any chance that you have done even a basic map of the city? Just curious at this point. That campaign I was running ended about a year ago.
But it would still be nice to see some work done for this city and what happened to it in the end. Maybe there will be something more on it in the new reprint of Cyradon, or maybe in some kind of supplement.

Offline Random

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:29:49 PM »
Sorry no map :(

Like I said it's all in my head.
I wanted a late dark ages to early middle ages with magic feel for the game and that's what I came up with to describe to my players.
The game almost immediately moved to Cyradon so I didn't fill much more of it out.  The game is still going, my group can only find time every 3-5 weeks so that makes for slow going.

I do have about 20k words of short stories set before the fall that I wrote to give them an idea of what the world was like.  I might get around to posting them one day.     

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
Sorry no map :(

Like I said it's all in my head.
I wanted a late dark ages to early middle ages with magic feel for the game and that's what I came up with to describe to my players.
The game almost immediately moved to Cyradon so I didn't fill much more of it out.  The game is still going, my group can only find time every 3-5 weeks so that makes for slow going.

I do have about 20k words of short stories set before the fall that I wrote to give them an idea of what the world was like.  I might get around to posting them one day.   
Those short stories would be awesome to see as they may provide some inspiration if I decide to do my campaign again with a different group of people. My campaign that led up to the fall of Tarahir has ended and now I am working on a different campaign and it will be with mostly different players. This new campaign is going to be set during the time when the groups first get to Cyradon. In fact the first scene to the last act will happen during the night of the 2nd festival of Arene (when the veil is lifted and the land is reawakened).
I look forward to seeing those short stories posted in here soon!