Author Topic: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?  (Read 58495 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
That is an interesting poll. The vast majority of players started with RM2 or before.

I wonder how many people made the switch to RMSS or FRP? The RMU boards seem pretty evenly divided between RM2 and RMSS though.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Here's a small pic [Attachment].  Await approval.

That is an interesting poll. The vast majority of players started with RM2 or before.

I wonder how many people made the switch to RMSS or FRP? The RMU boards seem pretty evenly divided between RM2 and RMSS though.

Yes.  It is.  87.3% for ≤RM2; 94.1% for ≤RMSS.

I tried to port my world of Udava to RMFRP.  Then realized I had to "sift" through almost a TB of info.  One person ain't gonna do it.  At least I ain't.

Re-wrote the world from memory, re-naming it Onaviu.  And ported it into RMU Bv1 at the same time.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Started with MERP and then the RM2 boxed set in high school. (I think? Maybe it was RM2 and then MERP.) Our current RMSS campaign started with the RM2 rules but quickly switched over the RMSS once we discovered it. That was in the 1990's. We will probably switch to RMU once the rules are finalized. Running a separate game in the RMU beta lets us see how that will go.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
My current campaign world started with the boxed set and mimeographed sheets.  I have included most of RMSS and left it there, but I have used the same setting for other (DnD and Pathfinder) games and always converted back to RMSS.  Most of my players like the campaign and rule set.

We are looking at using RMU when it it finalized.  We have a test game running now using the Beta 2 rules.

Offline Charlie Four

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
As a teenager with MERP back in 2002, run a campaign and played online on forums along with some sessions at the table. Then RMFRP for just a little while, then stopped played because of writer's block just when I found HARP.

Offline Bud

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
The first ICS game I played was MERP 1st Ed. in 1984 or 1985, then with full on Rolemaster soon after that.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »
As with the majority, modified RM2(Crystal Warrior Mage, anyone?) with MERP/T$R adventures.

Later to RM2 ShadowWorld, with a sprinkling of RMSS rules applied but more just for owning the books than using the ruleset...didn't bother with RMFRP(watered down RMSS with a tonne of replication without full citing of rules/too many errors).

I think this is why most folks want to see a return to RM2 glory days at the height of ICE's success.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
Cyberspace - I ran it back in the day though I owned the 1st RM box set; it was too confusing at the time.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Random

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »
I conned my parents into buying me the big blue box for Christmas in 87.
Those were some good times, all night games and whole heap of coffee and raisin toast.   

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2017, 04:00:57 AM »
Mainly MERP around '88.
Later we incorporated some Rolemaster rules and Shadow world modules.
Also we had lots of Drangonlance campaings with self made stat and bonus conversions.
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline barasawa

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Technically it was pre-Rolemaster.
It was when Arms Law came out.
There was no Rolemaster yet.  ;)

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
For Christmas one year my Mom got my Dad the Star Trek RPG & he got her MERP.  My Mom & I tried both.  Then we moved to a new city & I fell in with the RPG crowd of kids at the new school.  I GM'd a Star Trek & then a MERP game for friends before going on to being a PC in my buddy's Shadow-World-based RM2 game (where we hated his NPC Jax  ;D). From there he & I took turns GMing RM2 campaigns until we graduated high school & moved onto being in bands.  Since then I've basically used a RM2/RMSS-Frankenstein as the backbone to my creative writing, though from time to time I have GMd a game.  Still miss the good times around the table…  Thanks for all the great memories!

Nightblade ->--

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
1976 UVA, I was 17, Pete's proto-rolemaster game.  ;)
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Rose

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2018, 03:02:23 AM »
I was first introduced to Rolemaster in 93, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. One of my friends wanted to break away from the AD&D games we were playing off and on, and he had just picked up this new system in Australia. As it was a chance for me to play, rather then GM, I jumped at it. Played that campaign in his setting for the next two years, till I got out of the Navy. Picked up RMSS when it first came out, and have been there ever since. Lost all the books a few years ago, but still want to play it.
The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Offline Lord_Kjeran

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Dark Lord of Isungsgardr
    • Polar Bear Dreams and Stranger Things
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »
I voted RMSS, with qualifications.

My affair with RM is long and storied. Back in the 80s I used Arms Law for both D&D and to replace the crit table in DragonQuest. In the 90s, we played MERP and when we hit 5th level we converted our characters to RMSS (we'd been using Spell Law with MERP already anyway). I've owned and run RMFRP which is where I still am.
Anthony N. Emmel

Q: GM, what is good?
A: To crush the PCs, see their character sheets pile before you, and hear the lamentation of their players.

Offline Shroom

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »
1989, when I bought the boxed character/campaign, spell and arms law set it came with the Cloudlords of Tanara. Originally I slotted Tanara into my existing game world. It wasn't until 91 that I moved all my games into the Shadow World.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2018, 03:39:22 AM »
Back in the 80s I used Arms Law for both D&D and to replace the crit table in DragonQuest. In the 90s, we played MERP and when we hit 5th level we converted our characters to RMSS (we'd been using Spell Law with MERP already anyway). I've owned and run RMFRP which is where I still am.
That sounds almost exactly like our groups progression (although we didn't bother much with RMFRP unless it was actually new material).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
Bought the individual Arms Law, Spell Law and Character Law books in I think 1982 or '83, when I first saw them in a store for the first time after seeing an ad in the unmentionable magazine that ICE's biggest competitor put out.  The black and white drawing along with the text explaining something to the effect of there should be no limits to your imagination and with Rolemaster anything is possible.  Had been playing the other game for a couple of years prior, but had actually gotten started in fantasy gaming with Avalon Hill's Magic Realm game, which I got for Christmas in 1979.  Picked up MERP a year or so later, but never really used it much (except as source material for Rolemaster, as well as a few other MERP modules over the following few years).

After getting Rolemaster, that was nearly all I used for nearly 20 years (90% of my gaming, with me and then one other GM in college (Patrick F.) running a lot of Rolemaster). 

Over the past 15 years or so have started to play other RPG's a little more often, but still will choose Rolemaster/Spacemaster over anything else in a heartbeat.

Got to hear the story behind the game incident that started Rolemaster from Coleman Carlton at GenCon in 2017.  Was great getting to chat with him and learn about a lot of the early history of Rolemaster and MERP and ICE.  Have also gotten to talk in person to a couple of other early employees of the company at GenCon that year. 

Was also interesting as last year (2018) at GenCon was chatting with Larry Elmore at his birthday party and he was telling me and couple of the other people who were operating the ICE booth that he had actually done a little work for ICE (artwork for a single MERP module). 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
I wonder what MERP module that was the Larry Elmore was working on?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline ronald

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
 8114 River Running cover.
(Had to look it up ;))