Author Topic: Disarm Armed / Unarmed  (Read 1293 times)

Offline arunwe2012

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Disarm Armed / Unarmed
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
Hello all,

I am afraid I don't have access to Martial Arts Companion, so can someone please explain me how Disarm works?

In RMF (School of Hard Knocks) is stated that there's a RR to be made being the attack level the number of ranks in the skill and is tested against the number of ranks in the weapons skill of the defender. However, it also states that  this happens if the maneuver is successful. How do I check tif the Disarm is successful? A static Maneuver against a given difficulty?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Disarm Armed / Unarmed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
Yes, a static maneuver. I think the only modifier is Disarm skill unless you want to apply situational modifiers.

The MAC version is different. In the MAC, the attacker makes a static maneuver with their Disarm bonus, subtracting the defender's total OB (before subtracting parry and special attacks). If it succeeds, the weapon is dropped. If it succeeds really well, the GM "may decide to let the player decide where the disarmed weapon will go."

This is different than the RMSR/SoHK version, where the attacker makes a static maneuver with their disarm bonus, not modified for OB. If successful, the defender makes a RR using their number of ranks in the weapon skill as their level and the attacker's number of ranks in Disarm as the attacker level.

The RMSR/SoHK version ignores defender stat bonuses, profession bonuses, etc. The MAC version is more streamlined and also takes these into account.

MAC also makes some other changes. They do not list the B critical for a failed Disarm (Unarmed), which makes sense to me (you're probably going to get hit anyway, an automatic critical seems inappropriate unless you fail very badly). They limit your Disarm skill to no higher than your weapon (or martial arts) OB, but your available OB is reduced by the same amount you put into Disarm. E.g. if you have 100 OB, and 30 Disarm, that leaves you 70 OB to split between attack and parry.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
Here is a combination of the two methods.

Disarm Skill is a special attack.  The skill is used as normal OB.  The Disarm OB cannot be higher than the normal weapon skill OB, but only one disarm skill is trained.  The player parries with his disarm skill as per use of normal OB.  The attack roll is the remaining disarm OB+roll-foes DB.  If the result is 101 or higher, the target makes rr versus number of ranks in disarm skill with a level of resistance equal to his ranks in the weapon used, plus or minus situational mods as detemined by the GM ( I like to use 3x stat mod, normally St, but sometimes with a small fighter Ag), and x3 St mod as a bonus.

If rr is made by over 50 pts, then defender may choose to roll a B grapple, unbalance or brawling crit.  If the rr is failed by more than 50, the attacker may choose to deliver a B crit as above. 

Any 66 result is the disarmers attack results in being disarmed themselves.  Any 100 result indicates an additional -50 to the defenders rr.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
In our experience you can essentially ignore the disarm skills as they are nearly impossible to succeed in since you are comparing a combat maneuver skill vs weapon as as such you likely never will come across a similarly levelled opponend.  This is even more pronounced when you use weapon ranks as RR and the skill is everyman.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha