Author Topic: RMSS - Sense Awareness  (Read 1925 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Sense Awareness
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
I take it that "listen" as a skill comes under Sense Awareness and not Observation.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMSS - Sense Awareness
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
IIRC yes there is a skill for each "Sense". ie sight, hearing, touch/feel, taste and smell.

I use it a bit differently in that I use "Sense" Awareness for special senses of PC's that are more then human. So a werewolf might have a superior smell and Smell Awareness skill, a werespider might have Trimmer Sense Awareness  and some other creature might have Sense Air Currents Awareness. But for normal superior senses I just provide a bonus to Observation. This is a House Rule and not RAW.

Does that make sense and or help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »
To me it does because that is how I handle it.  If your listening, I say you are either Observing or Surveilling with your ears.

For Sense Awareness, I use it similarly to your method.  However, I also use the normal senses Sense Awareness skills to add partial or whole bonuses to a person's Perception skill.  In other words, if there is a sound that members of the party may hear, I have them roll Perception, then if they have any Auditory Awareness skill, I'll add 0% to 100% of that skill bonus depending on how loud, strange (meaning out-of-place), etc. the sound may be.

Does that make sense?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »
I like using the skill bonus to the Perception check.  Currently, I am using a double roll.  It slows the game down, especially since both of my "Sensor" character have developed it.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
I use it a bit differently in that I use "Sense" Awareness for special senses of PC's that are more then human. So a werewolf might have a superior smell and Smell Awareness skill, a werespider might have Trimmer Sense Awareness  and some other creature might have Sense Air Currents Awareness. But for normal superior senses I just provide a bonus to Observation. This is a House Rule and not RAW.

I really like this and am likely to steal this idea for my game.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »

I really like this and am likely to steal this idea for my game.

I am glad I am not the only idea thief here.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
 As a general rule I do not give the full bonus to Observation for the "other" sense. For example if the race has superior hearing talent that provides a bonus of +25, I provide a bonus to Observation of +10-15 depending on the world rules (house rules for game world). The same also works for spells that dull senses or provide for a negative modifier to a sense.

It seems to work very well and the players like it as it reduces the skills a bit, adds some bonuses to observation skill as well as provides for a mechanism for special races or other special senses.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
I like the ability to make special races have an additional bonus.  Many time folks take a race that is looked down on and get the "short end of the stick".  This would allow for a bonus for them.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
Good ideas here, thanks.

I take a cue from the Animist Base List Nature's Movement/Senses.
If it only involves one sense, then the bonus is greater, but information is more limited.
If multiple senses are used, the bonus is less, but more info can be obtained.
Assume 5 senses are the norm and the minimal bonus using multiple senses is +10.
Using only one sense on that List caps at +50.

With this in mind, I use +10% to +50% of the Sense(s) Awareness skill bonus added to the roll, depending on how many senses you try to use.
This and the examples from SoHK works for me.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:35:51 AM »
When I call for observation, I call for: Observation/ sense sight (or some other relevant sense), Sense ambush/ awareness, or surveillance (which is more like observing an area for a longer time, say 5 minutes)

Using the individually developed senses, you wouldn't be subjected to the "general penalty" of -20, which you would get with observation if it pertains to senses other than sight, so sense sight = observation, otherwise use relevant sense, or observation -20.

The sense ambush/ awareness roll is for detecting imminent danger. That is why they both have limited development.

The surveillance roll is for staking out a place, or guarding a place, or following a subject that is unaware of your interest.

Game On!

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »
Increasing/decreasing maneuver difficulty by +-2 levels works well, too, and provides a bit of a sliding scale.  At lower levels, the it amounts to the flat +-20.  At greater levels of difficulty, it makes a bigger difference.

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
Great ideas, thanks all.

aarcc, UK