Author Topic: RMSS - Resistances  (Read 1534 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Resistances
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:38 AM »
Noticed on the RM Office chararter sheet generator that there are skill for Resistances. Can anyone shed any light on this as I've not seen this before in any of the books.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rmoffice

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: RMSS - Resistances
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
Use these skills if you want all inherient resistance to magic to be level one.  The number of  ranks in the skill becomes the rr level.

OR...use the skill rank bonus as a bonus to rr, with normall level for resistance or all resistance at level one, your choice.

OR...well, you get the idea.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »
Perhaps these are for the Resistance skills at the end of School of Hard Knocks?  (For which I claim neither credit, nor accept blame.)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Resistances
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
Yep spotted it now SOHN Pg 165.

Anyone used this skill in their game?

Is it overpowered, a waste of time, mini-maxing into oblivion?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
 I have not used the skills as it does not fit my game universe but some have on the boards have asked in the past for the skill for there game world. I do not know how it worked out for their game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
Yep spotted it now SOHN Pg 165.

Anyone used this skill in their game?

Is it overpowered, a waste of time, mini-maxing into oblivion?

I have found the rules (as written) to be a waste of time.  Instead, I rely on a simplified system: spell roll (with a Combined Progression) versus a resistance roll (with a Combined Progression).  Thus, RRs do not increase every level automatically; you have to purchase resistance skill.  If a GM wants everyone to be at the mercy of poisons, he could give all character (for example) five ranks of Poison Resistance and deny purchasing additional ranks.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
Peter, that does sound very "Rolemaster"; you have nothing if you didn't spend the DP. I also like the fact that it's not dependent on level.

OTOH, it's also another example of "oh, you didn't know that you had yet another skill to develop to be effective in this game?"

For my game, these skills will be very rare; like Adrenal Defense. Not everyone will have access.
For example: If you are a Northern Barbarian whose culture is entirely anti-essence.. then you can spend DP on Essence Resistance. (Conversion from the old, original Unearth Arcana)

But every game is different.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:10:36 AM »
OTOH, it's also another example of "oh, you didn't know that you had yet another skill to develop to be effective in this game?"

The GM can create a package of skills that are normally developed.  Make that package "free" and give back the DP if someone doesn't learn all of those skills.  (By free, I mean automatically deduct the corresponding DP from those normally awarded.  For example, if resistances cost 1/2/3 and you award 80 DP per "level" then hand out 74 DP and one rank of each resistance.)

Personally, I think every modifier should have an associated skill.  So, in addition to resistances (3x relevant stat), I include physical and mental initiative skills (modified by Qu and SD, once), and Endurance (modifies Exh Points).  These are in addition to the standard Body Dev and PP Dev skills.  Basically, I try to avoid ever relying on raw stats or level for anything.