Author Topic: RMSS - Spears  (Read 2159 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Spears
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
What's the procedure in RMSS for using spears 1-handed (with shield) or two-handed. Developed as 2 different weapons skills?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: RMSS - Spears
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »
I've always treated "Short Spears" as one handed and "Long Spears" as two handed.  There are maneuvers where you would thrust with a single hand while using the Long Spear, but the overall style requires the use of two hands.  Advantage of the Short Spear?  You can use a shield.  Advantage of the Long Spear?  I gave you a 10' attack range (so you can make thrusts at a foe on the other side of an ally).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »
Do your learn them as separate skills and with separate weapon tables?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »
Do your learn them as separate skills and with separate weapon tables?

In my games:

As separate skills: Yes.  I had them listed as Spear w/Shield and Spear 2-Handed.  As Cory posted, I also treated a spear w/shield as a "short spear" usually 5 to 6 feet total length, and spear 2-handed as being a "long spear" usually 6+ feet total length.  Furthermore, I also allowed the players to learn using a Spear w/Shield and Shield Bash as a Two Weapon Combo skill so they could use both in the same round.  Otherwise, they could only use the spear OR shield bash in a round.

Separate Weapon Tables: No.  I always used Spear attack table with all crits being Puncture.  However, a spear with sufficiently long blade could conceivably be used with Slash crits (if sweeping with the spear).  But that, IMHO, would only apply to the Spear 2-Handed skill.  Spear with shield would always be puncture since the attacks would always be thrusts.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
I do it the same.
Plus you can always through a spear.
This makes 3 skills to develop (2 Handed, One Handed and Thrown)  which can turn new players off.
But once they get used to the system, it makes sense.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »
Separate skills for long and short with me, but I don't make them learn a secondary skill to throw it.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »
Do you use St/Ag/St or Ag/St/Ag for skill bonus/ OB?

I guess the easy way would be to just apply the Short/Long skill bonus, but it does seem like they're modified by different Stats.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
It's more house ruled with me.  Spears are not exactly one of the first weapons people pick out if they are just trying to do more damage.  We're a pretty tactical bunch and I like to give reasons to pick alternate weapons.  Technically in RM they would probably just learn "Spear" and apply it to either, but also have to learn a separate skill to throw it.

So, I pulled a Short Spear (can't recall what table I was using for this and my stuff isn't handy) attack table and separated short spears from long spears - short spear I'd let you use one handed but you can't attack from 10' out like you can with the long spear and it has a shorter range when thrown.  I'd rule that you don't have to learn a separate throw skill, but you do have to learn each spear type separately.  I'd use St/Ag/St for it hand to hand and Ag/St/Ag for it thrown on the stat bonuses.
- Cory Magel

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
Well I use the Spear table for the 1H variety, Heavy Spear table from The Armory for the 2H variety and Lance table for when you get on a horse with a Heavy Spear.

I have always considered lances in Rolemaster to be the 2H variety of the spear (exception when on a horse and you can pin it under your arm).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »
 I use the javelin for the short spear, spear for the longer spear and either pike or pole arm for the longest spear.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
Well I use the Spear table for the 1H variety, Heavy Spear table from The Armory for the 2H variety and Lance table for when you get on a horse with a Heavy Spear.

I use the javelin for the short spear, spear for the longer spear and either pike or pole arm for the longest spear.

Or a combination thereof.  This is the new way I'll  do it.
Spear thrown = javelin
short Spear = spear table
long Spear = heavy spear (armory)
jousting Spear = lance
very long spear = pike/pole arm

That makes sense to me.  Any others?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.