Author Topic: RMFRP core books for gaming.  (Read 3479 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMFRP core books for gaming.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I have a very old one for RM but I also have a groups of tables that fit over an old D&D screen.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
I will borrow this thread. Maybe some of you know that I have been GMing RM2 for some years.

Now I am going to invest to RMFRP little bit more. I have Arms Law, Corebook, Character Law and Essence (companion). I will get Channeling and Mentalism books, but what then? What you recommend and why you recommend that particular book?
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
If you can get your hands on one at a reasonable cost get the Martial Arts Companion.  Even if you don't use Monks/Martial Arts a lot you can use the Fighting Styles to expand your Pure Arms characters capabilities a bit.

If you use Talents/Flaws take a look at Talent Law as it's packed full of them.  You also find expanded ones in the Essence, Channeling and Mentalism Companions.  You need to eyeball the costs (some are out of whack compared to each other),   I have my players go through and selected all the various Talents/Flaws, give me the list, then I price them out for them and they select which they'll actually do then (or just sit down with them and do it).

Also, just to be clear, there are three books that are basically the equivalent of the full blown "Spell Law"
Spell Law... of Essence
Spell Law... of Mentalism
Spell Law... of Channeling

Then there are the 'Companion' versions of those which are different and add the new expanded materials.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
Talent Law is insanely priced nowadays...I will check that Martial Arts Companion and propably I need some creature book too?
-Love-

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
In RMFRP talent Law is incorporated in Character Law.
Game On!

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Just OT from book selection...

I won't ever allow my players to choose their talents. Sooner or later characters start to be similar (min max).
-Love-

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
might I point you to my house rules that have tables where PCs can spend their back ground options? They can be found in the back. Just spend the correct amount of back ground options, or arrange for any regulation you like and roll!

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item765
Game On!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
 I would pick up (guessing from your posts above)
[What I would really try and get is RMSS Core, RMSS Spell law, then)

1) Creatures and Monsters
2) Find the Martial Arts Companion
3) Channeling Companion
4) Essence Companion
5) Mentalism Companion
6) Fire and Ice
7) Castles and Ruins

From there sit down and see how you want to impalement the MAC and Chan Com in your game world, which will change options for Chan Chr and the Combat Styles in the MAC will change everyone's PC design.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
I won't ever allow my players to choose their talents. Sooner or later characters start to be similar (min max).
There are times when I just flat out say "No" to a Talent or Flaw, but I largely let players design their own characters and write most of their own history.  Our core group has been playing together for a very long time (around the early/mid 80's).  The 'new' guy we've only known since the mid 90's. :)  Point being, we know exactly what to expect from each other for the most part.  Our campaigns also run (on the VERY short side) several months or (on the longer side) a few years... so it's best to let the player create something they are going to be happy with long-term.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 06:46:09 AM »
My gaming group is relatively new for me...2 years and I have find out that some are min maxers, some not.

When I GMd RM2 years ago I remember the joy when one of the players rolled Blessed by the War God for his character (that was in Arms Companion). Or when some other rolled Royal Blood...
-Love-