Author Topic: RMSS - Movement & Injury  (Read 2182 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Movement & Injury
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
What penalties will usually apply to movement for those that are stunned or injured?

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
Re: RMSS - Movement & Injury
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »
Off the top of my head its up to 50% move. May require a Stunned Maneuvering roll depending on complexity.  All actions are at at least a -50 modified by SD x3.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
I thought Stunned Maneuvering just reduced the Maneuver Penalty from being stunned.  That is, it doesn't result in a maneuver roll itself.  Am I misremembering?

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
I play stunned maneuver that if they make the roll (break 100 including their rounds of accumulated stun *10 as a penalty) they can act normally that round, otherwise, they are stunned and probably in trouble.

My players put a lot of ranks into stunned maneuver.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
It may have been different in other versions of RM, but in RMSS "A successful static maneuver using this skill will remove one or more rounds of stun from yourself."

The maneuver penalty is -50 + 3xSD, like mistrornge said.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I play mostly space master (2nd ed) which is essentially old school RM. Similar mechanic - the SM skill has a SD modifier (in that edition stat bonuses were much larger - I have a telepath with a SD modifier of +50 due to race and stat), and everyone gets +3 per level, in addition to any level bonuses they may have (forget if it's in combat group or concentration). -10 per round of accumulated stun, doll OED, break 100.

So a 5th level character stunned for 5 rounds with a +10 SD mod would be at +10 (stat), +15 (level), give him a +2 per level other level bonus for +10, -50 for accumulated stun, so -15, plus any developed ranks, to break 100. This is in a game with weapons specifically designed to stun you, and in Space master, first stun usually = first death soon after. Especially since it's hard to take advantage of your half OB for parry option when all you have to parry with is a laser pistol and they are shooting a machine gun at you.

Which actually reminds me of a question that has nagged me for years, which I'll put on the SM board :)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Yes in RMSS Stunned Maneuvering reduces the amount of stun based on the level of success of the roll.  Page 188 in RMSS explains it all with the modifiers and the success levels.  In school of Hard Knocks (RMFRP) Stunned Maneuvering provides a bonus to maneuvers while Stun Removal does what the old Stunned Maneuvering did in RMSS

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Stun removal spells on a spell trigger are useful to have prepped...

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
I didn't think you could prep instantaneous spells?
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
I didn't think you could prep instantaneous spells?

Instantaneous spells cannot be prepped, but not all Stun Removal spells are instantaneous.  Thus, the non-instantaneous versions could be prepped.  Which is moot, given what I understand Ynglaur to be recommending: create a spell trigger such that the Stun Removal spell would automatically be cast, e.g., when stunned.  I.e., "prep" in this context refers not to spell preparation actions, but to the creation of the spell trigger (in a more colloquial sense of the word "prep").

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
My players who came from RMSS still get confused about the Maneuver/Removal change in RMFRP.  I patiently explain it to them often :)

I might be wrong, but I think it was a typo that someone overlooked, or that's how that author played their game. Now there are two versions to make everyone happy.
I don't have Stunned Maneuver require a roll, it just off-sets penalties for me. Players can choose raw talent or developed skill. Most pure casters rely on SD as the DP cost is high.

Using Stun Removal, even a Partial Success allows you to act/attack that rnd (-1 stun). A Success lets you act and takes a round of stun off the end.

For penalties from injuries, I like a simple game. We just use crit penalties and don't worry about low hit point penalties. I usually increase DR for maneuvers if they have a limiting wound, which works out about the same.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"