Author Topic: RM Static Skills - Spectacular Failure  (Read 1215 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RM Static Skills - Spectacular Failure
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Sometimes I guess you are tempted to reword some of the Static Maneuver Tables.

On 2 separate occasions in a new campaign party members with poor skill in trading have attempted to sell fresh meat to an inn keeper with the worst possible results, chaos and mayhem ensued. In one case the inn keeper was actually an Ice Demon.

I guess this happens often?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: RM Static Skills - Spectacular Failure
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
Not often, though bad runs of luck do happen.

I think you are on the right path though.  The color text on the static tables for all results should be taken as inspiration and altered as the specific game situation demands.  Just stay within the penalty/bonus guidelines and everything else, especially the color, falls under GM fiat.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:51 AM »
A Thief/Diplomat player in one game was upset that he neg'd down a roll to Influence a contact. "All I wanted to do was buy even a friggin' magic dagger! If I don't, then how can I fight all these demons you're throwing at us?"
I let him know that this particular contact was still a friend, but he wouldn't help with this inquiry. So he didn't lose the contact or even tick him off. But this guy would "never" help him find a magic weapon to fight demons. Maybe he lost a son to a demon after giving him a family heirloom to fight demons. Who knows?

Like yamma said, use the chart as a starting point. If you don't think it should apply, change it! Maybe the proprietor will not consider buying meet from the PC, but he might sell him a wagon or whatever. Friends fight and argue about stuff from time to time. Just because they have extreme differences on one point, it might not totally spoil the relationship.

Let the PC's know that you give a bonus for bribes.  ;D 
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
UM66 are great for this as well.  Had a fun game once where my players got an UM66 when trying to trigger a trap they had set.  They ended up causing a cave-in, which killed their enemies, but trapped them behind several dozen feet of stone.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »
These rolls are also a time to be creative. 

"Merchant examines the meat, at first happy with the quality, then he stops short..."Is this from thr Rilestaff farms?"  "Yes", answers manfred the Manservant mage, the finest meats in the river valley."  The merchant explodes in agnger, because you decide a Rilestraff son hurt the honor of his family years ago.  'GET THIS VILE GARBAGE OUT OF MY SHOP NOW BEFORE I SUMMON THE GUARD!!!"

Remember, every oportunity to keep em off balance is a good thing.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.