Author Topic: Max # of learnable spells for Mages using College of Magics  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Caledonia

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace is a lie...
Max # of learnable spells for Mages using College of Magics
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
Quick question:
So, the core book says Magician’s Versatility ability permits the generalist Magician (or Mage) profession to start the game with the capability of learning up to 40 spells.
Now, College of Magics broke down Mage into the 5 new professions. 
I don't see a mention in CoM about "Magician's Versatility". 
Is that 40 spells still a 'Hard number"? 
If so, is that affected at all if you either use Additional Profession to be a different "Mage" profession?
What about if you take the Arcane Circle Talent to tap another list?

-Caledonia

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Max # of learnable spells for Mages using College of Magics
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
I believe the new professions have a maximum of 30 spells, while the generalist Magician still has 40. I just couldn't find where I read that in the quick look that I just did.

I'm certain someone else will either confirm this or demonstrate my ignorance.  ;)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
Magician = Mage. Magician (CoM) has Magician's Versatility so ability to know up to 40 spells - note that Elemental Ball, Elemental Bolt, etc., come in 4 spell versions. Other Mage variant professions may know up to 30 spells. Clerics may know 20 spells. Harpers, Rangers, Warrior Mages may know 15 spells.

Something Wicked, Something Wondrous will introduce a talent which allows characters to increase their spell repertoire by 5 spells.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Caledonia

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace is a lie...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
Thanks!
-Caledonia

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
I think I finally understand how the limiting works: the professional circle/sphere or base spell list only has X spells, and anyone can learn all, none, or some of the Universal Sphere spells. Do I have that right?
#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »
I think I finally understand how the limiting works: the professional circle/sphere or base spell list only has X spells, and anyone can learn all, none, or some of the Universal Sphere spells. Do I have that right?

Correct.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline adad

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

Correct.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

I'm still confused. A cleric can learn 20 spells and can learn Universal sphere spells in addition?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:50:36 AM »
Yes. The Cleric Sphere (the 20 spells) are those specific  to their faith/deity/etc. Universal spells may be learned by anyone including Clerics.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
So if a character has Arcane Talent (insert Sphere here) or Arcane Circle (Circle) do those count as professional spells when going up a level? This is more of a magic training package concern than anything else.

Also, is there really much point of a Cleric making Universal spells part of their base list?
#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
So if a character has Arcane Talent (insert Sphere here) or Arcane Circle (Circle) do those count as professional spells when going up a level? This is more of a magic training package concern than anything else.

Yes.

Also, is there really much point of a Cleric making Universal spells part of their base list?

None. A Cleric can learn Universal spells AND their 20 base spells.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Volkar

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
Nicholas,
If a magician takes Arcane Circle Necromancer, would the spells he learns under necromancer count against the 40 spell limit of the magician?

Would a ranger that takes Arcane Talent, mage sphere, have access to all 33 spells on the list?

Can a magician take spells from other spell lists (for example a Harper or cleric) and make them base spells to fill out the 40 spells?

Thank you,
Volkar

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »
Nicholas,
If a magician takes Arcane Circle Necromancer, would the spells he learns under necromancer count against the 40 spell limit of the magician?

No, they would be separate.

Would a ranger that takes Arcane Talent, mage sphere, have access to all 33 spells on the list?

Yes.

Can a magician take spells from other spell lists (for example a Harper or cleric) and make them base spells to fill out the 40 spells?

No. The Magician will get more spells designated for them with Something Wicked, Something Wondrous.
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell