Author Topic: Tweaks for Loot: A Field Guide?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Tweaks for Loot: A Field Guide?
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
Loot: a Field Guide is next to be opened for its rebranding because there will be knock-on changes arising from the improvements from the new HARP Fantasy core rulebook, the new Martial Law and the new College of Magics plus lessons from usage. If you have spotted an error that has niggled at you for years in Loot: A Field Guide or have found an issue that you think is a problem, post here please.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tweaks for Loot: A Field Guide?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
Somehow I never had the feeling that loot is realy a part of HARP. Somehow it always felt different.
And aren't there item creation rules contradicting to the rules in CoM?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
Somehow I never had the feeling that loot is realy a part of HARP. Somehow it always felt different.
And aren't there item creation rules contradicting to the rules in CoM?

I think part of that is due to the cover art not being in the same style as the other products. There will be a new cover.

Yes, there are some places where the spells and creation rules contradict what is in the old CoM.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »
It's been said elsewhere, but it seems to me there needs to be a way to vary time, expense and risk in creating magic items. The reason I think so is because in a 'low magic' campaign, for magic items to be cheap, easy and quick to create doesn't make any sense. Likewise in a 'high magic' campaign, for magic items to be expensive, time consuming and risky to create doesn't make any sense.

Since we know in advance that how low- or high-magic the campaign is will be a judgment call made by the individual GM, there should probably be ways to tweak those factors in item creation to bring them better in line with the general feel of his campaign.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
The best thing i remember about my old rolemaster Treasure companions was never the loot making table nor the pages upon pages of items.
It was the Legendary items with full flavoured backgrounds and stories that had plenty of Plot hooks in them.

I remember one item named the hourglass of the slayer (or very similar). basically if it got turned over it made every living person within 200km or so turn into a n undead. wow. with a full background on this item it basically seeded an entire gaming campaign revolved around it.

this one single page gave us days upon days of happy gaming trying to thwart the evil so-and-so's who were trying to find it.

This IMO is what makes a loot supplement great. sure keep the rules about items balancing and creation in your book but pages of detailed artifacts linked to your game world.... WIN!
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »
The best thing i remember about my old rolemaster Treasure companions was never the loot making table nor the pages upon pages of items.
It was the Legendary items with full flavoured backgrounds and stories that had plenty of Plot hooks in them.

I remember one item named the hourglass of the slayer (or very similar). basically if it got turned over it made every living person within 200km or so turn into a n undead. wow. with a full background on this item it basically seeded an entire gaming campaign revolved around it.

this one single page gave us days upon days of happy gaming trying to thwart the evil so-and-so's who were trying to find it.

This IMO is what makes a loot supplement great. sure keep the rules about items balancing and creation in your book but pages of detailed artifacts linked to your game world.... WIN!

I agree with this. :)
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:18 AM »

I agree with this. :)
That sounds rather interesting... something I could get right into.

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »
I deperately need information on special materials.  Will it be included in the new edition?
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:10 AM »
I agree with both suggestions above. There was a lot of detail in some of the items in creatures and treasures that helped with plot hooks and sub plots. I also agree with the previous remark about materials for equipment and weapons. To me that is one of the things that makes Shadow World so great. You have to admit materials like Eog and Laen add some real "fantasy' depth to the atmosphere of the game. I just started a new thread on the aspects of elements in a magical fantasy world. Here is the link http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13695.msg175425#msg175425. I hope I did that right. It is titled "How does magic affect your game world?" It would be cool to see ICE incorporate this into something like the revised Loot guide.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »
Is this still a possibility? Is the remake of "Loot: A Field Guide" still in the loop for being re-released?
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
Is this still a possibility? Is the remake of "Loot: A Field Guide" still in the loop for being re-released?

Yes. It's on the list.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell