Author Topic: Ambush e missile attack  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Jacchan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Pentaprisma
Ambush e missile attack
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:36 AM »
A merchant walk in a footpath, inside a forest. A assassin is hidden behind a hedge. Is armed with a bow, take his time to aim and, when all is ready, shot.

How can I manage the situation?
Now, in our session, assassin do a ambush static maneuver and if is successfully he adjust the critical roll. But probably is wrong, ambush is designed for melee ambush, I think... 
Sorry for my very bad english...

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ambush e missile attack
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
I handle it the same way.
In RMFRP pg 128, it describes "a very precise melee attack."

SoHK (School of Hard Knocks) pg 32 wraps the Ambush skill with Subdue. Now you can use it either way. Smaller, blunt weapons are easier to use with Subdue; blackjack the city guard. Small bladed weapons are easier to use while trying to Ambush and kill a foe; stab them in the back. The DR (Difficulty Rating) for using Ambush with a ranged weapon is Sheer Folly; -50 for a Heroic Campaign.

You have to attack first, without being noticed. Stalk/Hide, Invisible, Position, etc.
Second, you must score a crit.
Now you make the Ambush roll.

(You can always roll the Ambush roll before the crit. Whatever works for your game.)

SoHK uses the Sense Ambush skill of your opponent as a penalty to your Ambush roll. Sense Ambush is a passive ability. If you are actively searching, then use Observation or Situational Awareness:Combat.
Sense Ambush has a range of 10 feet per skill Rank. So an attacker could be outside of their Sense Ambush range with a bow.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »
RMU allows development of Ambush for ranged weapons. So if you want to allow it, you could follow that precedent -- just develop it as a separate skill from Ambush for melee weapons. I would require the attacker to be within point-blank range, defined as the range in which they get an attack bonus. E.g. for heavy crossbow that's 20'. A difficulty penalty does not seem inappropriate either.

I would roll Ambush skill before the attack roll. If you really flub it, the target may not be surprised and that could affect their DB.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
I would feel Point Blank range would detract from the sniping power of this skill. Sure, it can be used at PB, but I wouldn't make it a requirement. I can only refer to RMFRP as that's what we play. :)

Also, the -50 on Ambush with a bow is probably a way to control this skill. Without the -50, ranged Ambushes would be even more deadly. Maybe they should be. Is -50 RAW too harsh?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Also, the -50 on Ambush with a bow is probably a way to control this skill. Without the -50, ranged Ambushes would be even more deadly. Maybe they should be. Is -50 RAW too harsh?
I think so, just like making a character develop an ambush skill separately for melee and missile attacks; I would rather stop skill bloat before it starts. (At least, slow it down as I know it will be coming.)

For the most part, unless it was someone of import (the ambushee), I would just let the PC use their ambush skill freely. I mean, they had to successfully surprise the target which involved a bunch of skill checks already. I prefer to not get bogged down in nit-picky details.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
I don't make them develop separate skills.

I guess it could be reworded that learning Ambush (in SoHK) covers trying to kill up close, trying to beat into submission or sniping (at -50). Now you get 3 skills in one. IMHO.
Still think the penalty is too much. Maybe -50 at long, -25 medium, no penalty for short range..

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
I just don't feel that long distance missile attacks should be getting that much benefit from your knowledge of anatomy and critical points. At that point the only working knowledge that is relevant is archery. You shoot for center of mass. At short range with the luxury of time to aim, you've got more freedom to pick where on the target you want to hit.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Sniping as a skill, or just use ranks in weapon in place of ambush skill.  After all, isn't developing skill with a weapon developing the ability to attack lethally?  Ambush is a bit redundant as far as skills go.  One of RM failures is not taking more advantage of skill ranks in the mechanics.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
I'd be careful with sniping skills. Remind your players that everything they can do, their enemies can do, too. "As you walk through the woods, you are attacked by an unseen enemy. *** roll, roll, roll ***. Whoops, using his ambush skill, the final crit result says you get an arrow right through your eye...".
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline Jacchan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Pentaprisma
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:59 AM »

Thanks at all.
In the end, yesterday we decided to use Ambush like providence13's answer.
@MariusH: My players already know the lethal consequences to suffer a ambush... :D
Sorry for my very bad english...

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »
Late in the post, but we don't do Ambush for RMSS with ranged weapons.  We do, however, allow the +20 for Surprise and +10 for stationary target and range modifiers.  We figure, since you can't place the shot like you would an up-close-and-personal dagger to the neck, you don't get ambush ranks added/subtracted to the crit roll.

2-cents,
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."