Author Topic: RMS/SMP Fallout  (Read 2313 times)

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMS/SMP Fallout
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:15 AM »
Working on a backup game for when my present one ends. The concept is post-apocalyptic (fallout) using the state I live in as the location.
I'm going to start with some broad strokes at first and tighten it up as I go.

1) Races & cultures: need to add a number of races and a few cultures, I'll probably use RMU as a rough guide since R&C creation is more streamlined.
Races: Human, Ghoul, Mutant(?)
Cultures: Vault, Gang/Bandit, Nomad, Urban, Old World (Cryo), Enclave, Brotherhood, NCR, Caesar, Followers
Some of these may be better modeled as training packages.

2) Skills: Will likely require some skills to be tech level specific (science/analytic mostly)

3) Magic/Psionics: magic is out, psionics may be present in a limited format as it more closely imitates the way some mechanics work (considering using this for the higher level feral ghouls, instead of mind points they get rad point which they spend on their abilities)

4) level perks: I'm going to kick some of these out, like the here & now and additional xp perks. May pull some of the existing talents & flaws as perks

5) need to add radiation resistance as an RR, use the heat/cold resistance/susceptible  talent/flaw as a basis for the Rad talent/flaw.

6) maybe a "mutation resistance" to avoid being mutated into a ghoul or mutant (ghouls & super mutants would have this at 100).

7) Creatures & Monsters: most already exist in the core

8 ) Professions: primarily from black-ops or pulp-fiction, unless Brotherhood, Enclave, or a similar culture is taken pilot is out.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMS/SMP Fallout
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
 If you are talking about converting computer games to RM then I have found that game guides can help a lot.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
This is one area I think Talents would fit very well. Perks are about the same thing. If you can find it, check out Shades of Darkness. This the closest thing I can think of for a RM PA setting. Cyberspace/Spacemaster might be a good resource as well.

It sounds like you're off to a good start.  :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
Fallout should convert to tabletop pretty easy.  It started out intending to use GURPS as its mechanics, but that fell through and they did their own instead.  But the tabletop inspiration is still readily evident even today with new Developers working on entirely different engines.

Depending on your home state I might recommend cutting down on the available cultures, that should simplify the conversion.  Unless you are dealing with Nevada/Arizona you are unlikely to need to deal with NCR and Caeser both.  If you are east coast then neither really needs to be there.  Cryo is another culture that may not need to be there.  I can only think of a couple places that would fit.  Old World however may be pretty important for Ghouls - so keeping it is probably worth it.

As for tech levels, I just used a primitive Limitation for my Harp game.  It gave a large penalty to high tech skills, but a bonus to some low-tech skill categories.  I'm not so familiar with RM to be able to recommend much here.

Good luck on this,

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Don't know if they'll help you, but check these out for existing table top versions of Fallout...
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9552
http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
I've got nearly everything ICE has put out over the years (well, missed the 1st ed but that's about it). Hadn't thought about Shades of Darkness, have to give it a look. I have the guides for FO3 & New Vegas and collectors versions of the earlier FO games (and I have the Fallout wiki is bookmarked). I've also got a couple versions that have floated around the net, and was working on a Hero conversion, but I feel more comfortable with RM/SM.

I still haven't really decided on the time frame, I may place it around FO1 or FO2. That would definitively knock NCR & Caesar off my need list. Cryo's basically a frozen old world, so that would work.

As far as tech levels, there are a few areas were this matters so I'm going to have to decide what skills (if any) that tech level is important enough to track,

My other hurdle is learning enough about the GECK to use it to generate game material.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
The only thing I don't like much about the isometric view Fallouts is that once power armor is introduced only enemies in power armor really pose a challenge, so if I did a Fallout setting I think I'd either limit the actual power source to power the power armor (which then makes them use it sparingly) or I'd just ditch it altogether.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
I'm going to use the RM/SM combat system, so it just makes it harder to hit them. I'm also planning on using the armor damage rules.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
Since skills are the basis of a character, I'll start there.

I think I'm going to use the SM skill list with some modification. Basically I'm dropping the FO skill & stat system in favor of SMs.

Combat Maneuvers
Combat Pilot: must develop sub-skills (AFV, motorcycle, car, truck, vertibird, etc.), unless a vehicle is very different, the general type will be sufficient.

Communications
Common English, Regional English, Organization Language, Latin, Chinese, and maybe a few more.

Martial Arts
Using my alternate rules, so degrees are gone, Wrestling moves to Athletic-Gymnastic, Grappling replaces Wrestling. All skills under Martial Arts are treated as Striking and Sweeps (i.e., they all have the potential to kill).
Not sure if I want to move Boxing to Athletic-Endurance, it has the potential to kill, even when following the rules of the sport. But it really is a specialized form of Striking.

Outdoor-Environment
Survival (Radiation) is added, most are going to get a rank in it during creation.

Science/Analytic-Engineering
Tech level may have an impact on some of these skills
Tachyon Engineering removed

Science/Analytic-Technology
Some of these skills may be affected by tech level.
Tachyon Tech removed

Technical/Trade-Gunnery
Unlike Artillery, these systems can be fired while the vehicle is moving and are often direct fire and not indirect fire systems. These systems are mounted to vehicle or a structure. They cannot be moved by individuals without dismantling the system.

Technical/Trade-Vehicle
Atmospheric Pilot replaced by Fixed Wing Pilot, Helicopter Pilot, and Vertibird Pilot.
Ground Vehicle Pilot replaced by Motorcycle Pilot, Car Pilot, Truck Pilot, and Construction Pilot.

Urban
Scrounging gives a bonus to searching ruins and abandoned (or not so abandoned) areas for useful items. It can also be used to see if a character happens to have an item they need. Weight/size can be used as a modifier, I mean, what are the chances someone is just carrying around a replacement engine for a car? The parts to make weapons from schematics, sure. If it's a near miss, they may remember where something that'll work is at.  This is done to reduce the need to track every piece of junk the character picks up.

Weapon Categories
A big modification is in weapon categories. SM standard are 1 handed melee, 2 handed melee, missile/thrown, 1 handed firearm, 2 handed firearm, 1 handed energy, 2 handed energy, and support.
I plan on realigning them as follows
1 handed melee
2 handed melee
thrown
missile
Pistols (1 handed projectile + 1 handed energy)
Rifles (2 handed projectiles + 2 handed energy)
Support (can be an individual weapon)
Artillery (requires multiple troops to carry, or a vehicle to transport. Weapon may not be fired while vehicle is moving)

Default Skill Classifications
These are the default classifications for skills. Culture, profession, or talent/flaw may change the classification

Default Restricted Skills
Power Armor
Alien Environment (0-G)
Spatial Location Awareness
Tumbling Evasion
Space Engineering
Undersea Engineering
Astrogation
Orbital Mechanics
Cryogenic Operation
Space Technology
Tachyon Technology
FTL Pilot
Space Pilot
Any skill, specialization, or sub-skill that would be hard to learn or acquire.

Default Everyman Skills
Rapid Fire
Suppressive Fire

Default Occupational Skills
NONE

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Need to look at tech levels. The way I see it, in order to be at a tech level, the culture has to be able to build new items, or continue to demonstrate the skills, that define the tech level. So, even though there are robots wandering around, there are very few post-war cultures that can build a new robot from scratch. However, since most examples of robots are around TL17, the robot tech skill is learned at TL17. I'm going to put up the general pre and post war TLs first. Pluses (+) indicate that there are some items that are above that TL, minus (-) indicates that not all techs are at that TL.
Category   Pre War    Post War
General:       17+          10
Agriculture:  17+         5-9
Arms             17+         4-12
Armor           17+         5-8
Comms         15             6
Cyber           17-           0 (no sensenet)
Computers    17-          7-9 (terminals are common)
Energy          16            11
Engineering  17-           1-9
General Sci   17-           6-9
Sociology      17            0-8
Travel           15+         0-5

Actually, it looks like TL may impact engineering more. And it may have more to do with the lack of infrastructure then actual knowledge. So I may not have to worry about TLs affecting skills.

Found my copy of Shades of Darkness, now to read through it.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
Check out The Mutant Epoch. Very interesting new game and I think it could be converted easily enough.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »
I'm considering allowing players alter the racial bonuses slightly:
subtract one point from a stat bonus and add it to another stat bonus. This can make a stat bonus a negative.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
 With stat bonuses I tend to use talent points to let players adjust those but I use races or culture packages to relate different "cultures" or types of races.
 But players always love the ability to adjust their PC more to their concepts.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
the bonus/penalty talents/flaws do zero out, if you use the same levels.
And Fallout really only has one race, the others are just mutations of humans and are not able maintain their population levels without humans. So it's a way to get a little more variety out of the population.

Maybe there should be two human races: vault (modern man) and wasteland (mixed man).

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
I'm going to use the RM/SM combat system, so it just makes it harder to hit them. I'm also planning on using the armor damage rules.
You could give people wearing powered armour Large Creature Criticals.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist