Author Topic: Penalties for spell-casting  (Read 1598 times)

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Penalties for spell-casting
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:15 AM »
I have a rather general question regarding spell-casting: When does various penalties apply? Such penalties include minuses due to crits or hits taken, minuses due to PPs used, minuses due to exhaustion, general SM-minuses (is SCSM a SM?) and other penalties I can't think of right now. And what about conditions like "must parry" and similar? (Stuns have been discussed in a previous thread). What penalties applies to SCSM? What penalties apply to E spells? To F spells? Do any penalties at all apply to U or I spells? Would sufficient penalties from hits or crits disallow automatic spell-casting, and thus require a SMSC? Sure, we do things our way, but I would be interested in hearing what others do too - as well as how you read the RAW.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Penalties for spell-casting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
The following is how we handle it in our group, which not necessarily reflects the official rules (although I hope so  ;) )
I have a rather general question regarding spell-casting: When does various penalties apply? Such penalties include minuses due to crits or hits taken,
For non-physical activities, like spell casting, we apply minuses to hits taken in full and minuses due to wounds in half. This would apply to SCSMs.
minuses due to PPs used,
Applies in full
minuses due to exhaustion,
Not normally used by us.
general SM-minuses (is SCSM a SM?) and other penalties I can't think of right now.
We seldom use other SM mods than the ones mentioned above. At least none comes to my mind now.
And what about conditions like "must parry" and similar? (Stuns have been discussed in a previous thread). What penalties applies to SCSM?
Must parry incurs a penalty to maneuvers (-25 in RM2, which we also use for RMSS/RMFRP) which we fully apply to SCSMs.
What penalties apply to E spells? To F spells? Do any penalties at all apply to U or I spells?
Regarding the SCSMs all spell types are IMO the same. We would apply the modifications for hits and wounds also to the Directed Spells OB of appropriate E-type spells.
Would sufficient penalties from hits or crits disallow automatic spell-casting, and thus require a SMSC? Sure, we do things our way, but I would be interested in hearing what others do too - as well as how you read the RAW.
We do not require SCSMs it a character has penalties from hits or wounds but otherwise fulfills the requirements for automatic spell casting.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:40:46 AM »
We dont use SM mods, as we interpret the rules not to include these. I made a thread on this topic long time ago:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=9522.msg122951#msg122951

If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
Thanks. Interresting link, DangerMan. The question about whether SCSMs should have general SM-penalties is something we often have discussed.

As for penalties to directed spells, that makes sense. But should there ever be penalties to F-spells?

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
Bare hyggelig! :-)

We dont apply penalties on F-spells / BAR either. Directed spell skill suffers normal penalties. However, my impession is that most groups do apply some mods on SCSM from hits, bleed etc.

IMHO not having the penalties on SCSM makes sense when the PC's are at lower levels, but stops making sense at higher leves, when the mages starts to outshine the fighters.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »
 Well I am glad that other have posted some answers as this is a huge question. Since the OP has seen some of the archived posts I will not give the RAW but my home game answers.
 I have players roll D100 and the spell fails on a 01-05, no special results for high casting rolls, and all penalties apply except exhaustion which I do not use as written but in a more general way.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »
I notice that table T-3.5 actually answers part of my question. It says that penalties for hits taken and exhaustion DO apply to the BAR. I guess it then makes sense to also include the penalties due to crits, when penalties due to hits taken are in effect.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »
Yes crit penalties are very important IMHO because spell casting is an action just like any other.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
This leads to interesting situations for self-auto-healing spells, btw.  Character gets knocked out, an automatic spell hits, but has penalties due to the injury.  Interestingly, though, if knocked out, you could make a good case that pain-related penalties shouldn't apply to unconscious casting.