Author Topic: Upgrade to Unified?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Upgrade to Unified?
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
I've not played much RM compared to my D&D days, but I remember learning the original RM2E just as the Standard system came out -- so I ended up getting the new books and was pretty happy with the changes.  Then my teenage-years came and went, and I managed to get rid of those books:(.

Years later, when my interested was peaked, I looked and found RMFP and, even though it was supposedly just cosmetic or a bit of a trimming, I wasn't too happy.  More years later, I started to look at RMC, but I seemed to drift back to the wanting my RMSS books back; so eventually, I was able to obtain them.

I don't know of any of the proposed changes for Unified, but I'm just wondering if there is enough "good" changes for most RMSS users to want to upgrade, especially when, for a time, just getting the original books was difficult.  Probably whatever kept me to RMSS may keep me with it, though.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Upgrade to Unified?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
Go check it out: find the Rolemaster Unified forums and go download version 1 of the Beta test files. Read them, then wait for the version 2 files, like the rest of us, to join the discussion and playtest!
Game On!

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
I've downloaded them and am reading through them -- just wondering if, in the meantime, someone else has already made some Pros/Cons for or against it, compared with RMSS.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
There are tons of comparisons out there if you go through the beta forums. Not sure if there's a unified list, though.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline mpicart

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Ok, I'll look through them.  Thanks.

Offline Vagabond138

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
Ah, the "Upgrade" question... As an extremely longtime Rolemaster GM (started with original system in 1988 at age 19), I have gone through the growing pains of upgrading from what is now known as RM2 to RMSS so I thought I would post my two-cents... I jumped at the opportunity to get in on the beta testing thing and downloaded the first three new RMU source books and I must say I believe RMU has some potential. I am reserving my final judgement until after the arrival of the remaining two source books. I am a true believer that both Rolemaster and Spacemaster are simply the best systems out there, hands down. I believe that RMU is going to be a more "new player" friendly system once all the smoke clears but I am not sure how "new GM" friendly it is going to be. As one reads through the play tester posts, it is painfully evident that the Creatures beta source book is sorely needed. Our valiant community of GMs are either testing combat between players and NPCs or tweaking monsters from the previous RM2 and/or RMSS systems. One of the stated goals of RMU is to attract new gamers to the Rolemaster experience. It should be noted that new gamers, both players and GMs alike, need much more systemic "structure" than advanced ones. Too much flexibility or "leave it up to the GM" content and quickly overwhelm a new GM. I can tell you from personal experience that it took a long time for me to feel really comfortable running a Rolemaster campaign. Speaking as a GM of over twenty years, I really came to love the Training Package system in RMSS. Oh, and one cannot forget the flavor Essence Companion brought with the Schools of Magic! And the the Underground Races source book was an unsung masterpiece! I truly believe that even though the RMU beta info has been out for a while now, it is far too soon to pass judgment on it. One must keep in mind that RMSS has been around for years and a lot of companion material really added greatly to the original core source books. I could go on and on but posts were not made to last forever.  :-X

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
I think the main con for RMU is that it's still in flux. I suspect that the next beta release will be a lot closer to the final version, though, which may make that less of a concern. The secondary con is that there is not a lot of support material. My feeling is that converting spell lists from RMSS to RMU will be pretty easy, and it shouldn't be too hard to make new professions (using existing ones as templates), and that's most of the issue right there. The creatures and treasures books will also get released in beta, and that will help a lot once it's happened.

In terms of how the system stacks up against RMSS, I think it looks pretty good, especially with the changes that have been promised so far. There may be things I would choose to tweak, but that's also true of RMSS, so I don't consider that a real failing.

Bottom line: if I was starting a campaign, I would use RMU. Especially after the next beta release.

Tangent: dear god, Vagabond138, you have a distracting avatar. I may need to adblock that image.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »
I'll save my thoughts on the comparisons as the second group of beta materials may change a decent amount, but I would say if you are looking to start a new game SOON (within a few months) I would either stick with RM2 or RMSS and convert materials from one to the other.  If you are looking at several months out then I'd hold off and see what you think about the newest version... but don't expect to have loads of non-core books quickly.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
 I would parrot Cory Magel's comments above.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Vagabond138

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
jdale- I agree... That avatar of mine was VERY distracting. Avatar changed!

I hope that my previous post did not sound RMU - friendly. I do think that when all the smoke clears, it will be the best version all-around. I also agree that supporting material will be paramount to it's future appeal and success. I have tinkered with a world setting for years using RMSS. I started bringing everything together in a source book right before the news of RMU was released. I have decided to use RMU as the core system for this world setting. I just finished the first draft of the "Gods and the Cosmos" portion. The mechanical details of the RMU system do not need to be fully developed to flesh out the nature of the universe and divine beings, the cycle of creation and destruction etc. Over the years I have done my best to hang on to the cultures, kingdoms, empires, powerful NPCs etc. that I created for each campaign I ran. Almost all of my existing material is formatted for RMSS exclusively. I will be focusing my present efforts on developing the aspects of the world setting that do not require finalized RMU mechanics. I am constantly impressed by the efforts and feedback others have posted on the playtesting threads! So, to sum my ramblings up, I am definitely shifting gears and focusing all of my present and future efforts on RMU!

I look forward to sharing ideas and possibly future creative efforts with other members of the ICE community!  ;D