Author Topic: Harp Martial Law PDF errors  (Read 13295 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Harp Martial Law PDF errors
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
    I am a little OCD, so there are a few things I couldn't help but notice in the new Martial Law PDF:

• artwork and example text look faded/washed out
    • "Battle Runes" table on page 15--column headers are incorrect
  • Chapter 4 page footers continue to say "Battle Runes" (that was chapter 3)

Overall, I like the redesign.  However, I am not going to review the product on RPG Now.  I don't want to be a party pooper.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Harp Martial Law PDF errors
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
Terry is investigating the best solution to the example text and i will ask him to look at the art as well. It may well be an analogous issue.

Other errata duly noted for the prePoD cleanup.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »
Regarding the Double Weapon style there was a correction by Rasyr here in the forums stating that you need twice as many ranks in the base weapon as in the style. IMO this makes sense, since otherwise the style is a bit too powerful, but the correction did not make it into the new version.

Not really an error, but rather a weakness: The Weapon & Shield style is rather useless with its secondary attack with a fixed OB set as high as the Trained Bonus with the shield, i.e. a maximum of 30 for a Full Shield or 40 for a Wall Shield. I would have hoped that this style gets a bit improved and perhaps a few styles added, since HARP IMHO lacks a couple of useful Combat Styles. The way it is now we use Shielding Weapon and Blade Barrier and nothing else (Double Weapon if it should really be used without the correction done by Rasyr).

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
Don't know if it's a mistake, but in the Critical Tables I find it more useful when, next to the "Head and Neck", "Hands and Arms", etc there's also the corresponding number of the "ones" dice.
Also, while the bottom of some of the pages (number 66, for instance) have the title "HARP Martial Law Critical Table page 66", others like the 68 don't.
This are the kind of pages that I print so as to handle them better during combat sessions, so I prefer the titles NOT  to appear.

Just my opinion here.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »
Page 51 - "Basic Armor" table: The cost column still have the old values.

Offline Elessar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
Page 28 : "Unseating a mounted foe" : there isn't any action of this name in the previous section. It was the same in the previous version of ML. Is this action will be add ?
Best wishes

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
Not sure it matters, but in the NPC stat block description section on p88 there is no description of the sphere/spell block. It was not immediately apparent that the [] indicated the base cost of the spell although the number of ranks () and skill level were described in the skill section.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
The are no PDF bookmarks on the document!
now that I check, there's none of HARP core rules either..

EDIT - ignore this.... I just saw the other post by others about the bookmarks
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
Don't know if it's a mistake, but in the Critical Tables I find it more useful when, next to the "Head and Neck", "Hands and Arms", etc there's also the corresponding number of the "ones" dice.
Also, while the bottom of some of the pages (number 66, for instance) have the title "HARP Martial Law Critical Table page 66", others like the 68 don't.
This are the kind of pages that I print so as to handle them better during combat sessions, so I prefer the titles NOT  to appear.

Just my opinion here.
Have to agree on the critical tables I found the layout of the original ones with the columns in the order matching the hit location order more useful than the order the  new ones are in which frankly I'm not sure how that order was picked.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
Any other errata found that I need to be aware of? We believe that we have the example style issue resolved (and will get feedback from the proofreaders on CoM)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »
In the Weapon & Shield style I saw something that may be a problem (that or I just don't understand this style).

"The character cannot make two attacks per round. The first is an attack with
his weapon, which is made using the bonus for this style as
his OB. The second is a shield bash."

I suspect this should read "The character can make two attacks" for the rest of the description to make sense.

That is the only thing that I noticed in a casual reading that isn't already mentioned in this discussion.

Thanks,

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
I found this one:

Page 7
"so the spell casters and cast and the thieves can steal."
should be
"so the spell casters can cast and the thieves can steal."

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
I found this one:

Page 7
"so the spell casters and cast and the thieves can steal."
should be
"so the spell casters can cast and the thieves can steal."

Duh. Don't now what to say, I reported it. :(
(I'm one of the proofreaders. Unfortunately, due to some personal issues at the time, I couldn't go past p. 26.)
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »

Just my opinion here.
Have to agree on the critical tables I found the layout of the original ones with the columns in the order matching the hit location order more useful than the order the  new ones are in which frankly I'm not sure how that order was picked.

The order in the enhanced pdf is identical to the order in the printed edition of 2004. Some of the pages don't have footers because the table entries make it too long.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
But would it be possible to add the numbers of the "ones" dices next the hit location in every column?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
Updated the pdf. About 75% of the people who bought this will have received an email via the OBS from me - the rest of you have switched off email notifications (so switch them back on please)

Hopefully you will all find the examples now very legible and the artwork is all still good.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Everything's legible now and the artwork is also ok.

Nice improvement.

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
Found a new problem with Martial Law the other day
Pg 47 Superior Non Magical Metal chart shows Superior Steel with MB of 2 for OB & DB
Page 52 the Charts for Superior Steel Armor are inconsistent.
Superior Steel Chain is calculated and matches the info from pg. 47 however both Superior Steel Plate/Chain and Superior Plate show numbers on the chart calculated with a MB of 1 instead of 2
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Possible Errata
1. I may be blind but what are the stats for the "Battle Runes" skill? I looked in my old printed copy of Martial Law and it isn't in there either. At least as far as I could tell it wasn't.

2. The Crit charts are still out of order in relation to the die rolls.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Ok, so I may have found an answer to my above question, along with errata in the printed versions of Martial Law and HARP Fantasy..
In the HARP core book under the runes skill it lists an option to inscribe a rune with spells. It states the character can inscribe 1 spell per 5 ranks of rune skill, which is exactly how the battle runes skill in martial law describes it. The problem now is that the runes skill (in the core book) description does not go into the needed detail for balance issues, like the battle runes (Martial Law) skill does.

Is it safe to assume that the battle runes skill description in Martial Law is simply an extension or better explanation of the runes skill in the core book? That is what I plan on using at least until I get an official word from ICE.
Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!