Author Topic: Spell casting. I am bit confused  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
Spell casting. I am bit confused
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
I have now read the rules of spell casting. Maybe I have forgot something or things have changed since RM2.

Let me know if I understood casting right way. Lets assume that character has 5 ranks in spell list skill (not category). He has 42 bonus in his spell list skill (where he has 5 ranks).

Character is at 2nd level ( he got one rank to his spell list from adolescent training and trained 2 ranks every level after that).

He attempts to cast some attack spell, which is 4th level spell. Lets say that it is Pain spell. He can cast spellas he has 5 ranks in spell list. He spends necessary 4 powerpoints. Then he decides to usefirst round from combat to preparation. As caster level - spell level is -2 and he prepares spell only one round he gets -65 penalty to casting roll. He has skill 42, so finally it is -23. He decides still to try and rolls dices. As he is casting own base spell list he gets +10, he has two free hands +10 (as he casts essence spell), he is wearing AT9 without the helm, he gets -25. He dont have power point exhaustion. Other mods are 0. He gets final result of 78. He succeeds. After he succeeds he rolls new roll for attack. He rolls 50, adds his skill bonus from spell list skill: +42, he is at 60' away from target and gets -10, target is static so he gets +10. Result is 92, so target who is not wearing armor gets -50 to his resistance roll. Target is at lvl4. Target needs to get total result from roll and resistance bonus to 95 or he fails to resist?

Is that correct?

What means if caster adds is skill rank from casting skill to spell attack roll. Not his skill bonus? Or does that mean number of ranks or just rank bonus? Or is it only category bonus?
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Spell casting. I am bit confused
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
I have now read the rules of spell casting. Maybe I have forgot something or things have changed since RM2.

Let me know if I understood casting right way. Lets assume that character has 5 ranks in spell list skill (not category). He has 42 bonus in his spell list skill (where he has 5 ranks).

Sounds reasonable. Spells have a combined progression so you can't develop ranks in the category.

Character is at 2nd level ( he got one rank to his spell list from adolescent training and trained 2 ranks every level after that).

He attempts to cast some attack spell, which is 4th level spell. Lets say that it is Pain spell. He can cast spellas he has 5 ranks in spell list. He spends necessary 4 powerpoints. Then he decides to usefirst round from combat to preparation. As caster level - spell level is -2 and he prepares spell only one round he gets -65 penalty to casting roll. He has skill 42, so finally it is -23. He decides still to try and rolls dices. As he is casting own base spell list he gets +10, he has two free hands +10 (as he casts essence spell), he is wearing AT9 without the helm, he gets -25. He dont have power point exhaustion. Other mods are 0. He gets final result of 78. He succeeds.

This is all correct, assuming you are using RMFRP. In that case a result of 78 is a success. (In RMSS, you need the standard 111 for a regular success just like regular static maneuvers, but you get an additional +50 on spellcasting rolls, so it works out the same.)

After he succeeds he rolls new roll for attack. He rolls 50, adds his skill bonus from spell list skill: +42, he is at 60' away from target and gets -10, target is static so he gets +10. Result is 92, so target who is not wearing armor gets -50 to his resistance roll. Target is at lvl4. Target needs to get total result from roll and resistance bonus to 95 or he fails to resist?

Is that correct?

What means if caster adds is skill rank from casting skill to spell attack roll. Not his skill bonus? Or does that mean number of ranks or just rank bonus? Or is it only category bonus?

Yes, you add your number of ranks in the spell list (in your example, 5) to the roll on the Basic Spell Attack table, not your full bonus in the spell list. So no profession bonus, no stat bonus, the total bonus is +5 and not +42. Add your range and static target modifiers and the net total is +5 -10 +10 = +5. Result from your roll is 55, then, not 92, so the target who is not wearing armor gets -5 to his resistance roll. Target needs to roll 45 or higher to resist.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:54:34 AM »
I find those rules pretty confusing and overly complicated, if we compare to RM2. Well...I stick with the rules and live with that.

Has anyone combined the spell casting roll with resistance modifier table? I don't get why it is separated roll that need to be made in spell casting (spell succeeds or not) and in spell attack roll (roll that determinies modifier that comes from resistance table).
-Love-

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
It could be simplified further, but this at least eliminates the BAR table: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2002/oct/simplifyingresistancerolls.html

Actually combining the resistance roll into the spellcasting roll has some odd effects. E.g. your target can make you more likely to fumble your spell. But it's really ambiguous what that means when casting area affect spells.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
It could be simplified further, but this at least eliminates the BAR table: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2002/oct/simplifyingresistancerolls.html

Actually combining the resistance roll into the spellcasting roll has some odd effects. E.g. your target can make you more likely to fumble your spell. But it's really ambiguous what that means when casting area affect spells.

I will start to use very simple rules given in TGC...thanks from link.
-Love-

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
I remind my players that they can squeak by with a Partial Success (26) and cast for 50%Act on the next round. This assumes you don't get hit this round (is that RAW or HR?) and can live until next round.

With a 41, you cast at the end of this round, which is still better than nothing.

I like the Guild Companion's chart. Might have to start using that.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
The ruling proposed in that link seems great. We will definitely try it next session.
It even got me wondering... couldn't it be used for RMU to solve the "BAR is gone" issue?