Author Topic: Evil Channeling Spell - Dark Stunning question  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Evil Channeling Spell - Dark Stunning question
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
Hi all!!!!

Well I have another question about the "Dark Stunning" spell.  It dictates a RR mode of -10.  Now... that seems in favor of the caster and against the target (target would subtract 10 from their RR roll).  This seems a bit powerful for a 2nd level spell.  Am I reading this spell correctly?

OR

Should the target ADD 10 to his RR?

Thanks!
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Evil Channeling Spell - Dark Stunning / Dark Sleep question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
I just found out that the same Essence based spell on the Spirit Mastery list "12) Word of Stunning * 1 target — 50' FM" is 12th level.

I also checked Dark Sleep (a 5th level spell) ... the equivalent spell on the Essence list (Word of Sleep) is 15th level!

I just wanted to see if these Dark Stunning and Dark Sleep spells were balanced or if I am missing something? Should these spells give a +10 to RR instead of a -10?
Drev

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Evil Channeling Spell - Dark Stunning question
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
No, the Evil spell lists aren't balanced. That's why GMs are advised to restrict them.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
I agree with rdanhenery, the evil spell list are supposed to be a trade off of easy power for corruption (of some sort).
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Easy thing to balance evil spell lists are following ways (that I use):

1. For every 10 powerpoints they use to that spell list, they get one corruption point. When there are 100 points, their character will be taken over by some evil force (depends from the setting)

2. Evil spells are illegal to use, learn and it is illegal to carry spellbook that contains those spells (if that person don't have permission to do it). If there are "colors" of magic in the world, then evil spells are more easily recognized by certain persons (not all though).

3. Evil spell lists are very hard to get (very rare).
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
Ok great!

Thank you all for the informative replies!!! I think I have what I need to work on this now. I wish the rules were spelled out a bit better.  Makes less pissed off players when they say "I didn't read that in the rules...".  I hope RMU has more on the matter.

Thanks all!
Drev

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
Members of our circle ran a Star Wars game using RM and the way the GM 'tempted' people was by giving them free ranks in 'lists' from the Dark Side.  When they used them they got corruption points.  When they ran into a Sith and the Sith tried to 'convert' them they had to roll percentiles against their corruption level.  So even if you only were at 50 corruption points there was still a 50% chance (+/- a stat bonus if you want) to be turned at least temporarily.  This happened a few times during the game... makes for some real nail biters.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss