Author Topic: Harp Fantasy Core Book printed version errata  (Read 29760 times)

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
Harp Fantasy Core Book printed version errata
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »
p. 12
Picture is very, very dark.

p.23
In the table for Racial Stat Modifiers, the line doens't include the Presence column.

p.33
In the Master Skill List the Subterfuge category is not indicated. The subterfuge skills are together with the Physical ones.

p.157
Question: Is the Hobgoblin a level 1 creature, equal as the plain Goblin? From the skil description I see they are (maximum of 6 ranks in skills), but is that correct?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Harp Fantasy Core Book printed version errata
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:35:56 AM »
P157 - This is the only one I can comment on....
All Humanoids are portrayed as 1st level characters of their race.   
Therefore the stats are correct.
Thom
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »
Oh, I see. I guess the idea is that, with the rules that will be given in the forthcoming Bestiary, we can adjust the level and it's bonuses to our needs, thus being able to have lvl. 1 goblin scouts, lvl. 2 goblin warriors and their lvl. 3 hobgoblin leader.
Is that right?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:06:33 AM »
Oh, I see. I guess the idea is that, with the rules that will be given in the forthcoming Bestiary, we can adjust the level and it's bonuses to our needs, thus being able to have lvl. 1 goblin scouts, lvl. 2 goblin warriors and their lvl. 3 hobgoblin leader.
Is that right?

Essentially correct.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
I was reading through the descriptions of the monsters and I found there are quite a few inconsistencies with the table.

For example, the Giant Ant DB description on pg. 156 states:
+18 Stats; +20 Instinctive Defense; +60 Tough Hide (Greater)

This totals to a DB of 98. The on pg. 157 gives a DB of 18. Which is correct?

There are several others like this that are fairly easy to find.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
Found another error on page 36 Table 6.3. Subterfuge category is missing and those skills are part of the Physical category.

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
Found another error on page 36 Table 6.3. Subterfuge category is missing and those skills are part of the Physical category.
Ooops! I said previously that this error was on page 33, but dagorhir's right, it's on 36.

p.8
A very dark picture or a dwarf inside his mine at night  :)

p22
There's a black rectangle at the bottom right of the page.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »
Ooops! I said previously that this error was on page 33, but dagorhir's right, it's on 36.

Explain why I didn't see it before posting, I was looking at the page numbers. ;)

Offline Falenthal

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • La Compañía
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »
A few very slight mistakes:

p.118 Spell "Boost Presence", the RR field has two short lines (--) instead of the normal long one of other spells

p.145/146/147 Herbs Table. P.145 is ok, but p.146 and 147 both have the type of effect (Stun relief, etc.) centered as a title. To me, having it to the left like in page 145 is easier to read and locate.
p.146 also has the title Organ Repair not in bold characters.
p.146 the herb Canadin, under Physical Alteration, has a second line for its effects which is under the name of the herb. It would be nicer if the second line followed under the first one in the Effects column.
p.147 The herb Viracon has an extra line of space under it.

Monsters: According to what dagorhir said about the DBs not matching in the description and the table, there's also a "style" issue in the DBs descriptions: some monsters lack the stat bonus when it's 0, others have "0 Stats" and still others have "+0 Stats".
Also when indicating armor bonuses, some monsters have "+30 Armor (Rigid Leather)" while others have "+30 Rigid Leather", like in page 162 with Ogres and Orcs.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
Not sure if this is errata, but is certainly seems wonky to me.

For the spell Projected Light, the base range is only 20' the same as the light spell. Light costs 6 PP and Projected Light costs 5 PP, but Light also has a much longer base duration than Projected Light, and the Light spell says it can "turned down" to the size of a small point - not so the Projected Light. I don't think that 1 PP base cost is worth all that extra ability. Perhaps Projected Light should have a base range of 50-feet, not 20.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Not sure if this is errata, but is certainly seems wonky to me.

For the spell Projected Light, the base range is only 20' the same as the light spell. Light costs 6 PP and Projected Light costs 5 PP, but Light also has a much longer base duration than Projected Light, and the Light spell says it can "turned down" to the size of a small point - not so the Projected Light. I don't think that 1 PP base cost is worth all that extra ability. Perhaps Projected Light should have a base range of 50-feet, not 20.

Feel free to add the ability to turn down the Projected Light. The difference in 1 PP base is essentially the difference in duration and area of effect. These two spells have been troublesome ever since the reworking of spell durations that occurred between 160 and 192 page HARP, and I tried all the tricks to push down their base PP cost.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
I don't understand why saying Projected Light is a base 50-feet instead of 20 overpowers it. Of course, I can (and will) change it for my game, but I don't understand the problem here. In all ways, Light is a better spell for only 1 PP. (I guess the "directional" aspect is that cool then?)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »
I don't understand why saying Projected Light is a base 50-feet instead of 20 overpowers it. Of course, I can (and will) change it for my game, but I don't understand the problem here. In all ways, Light is a better spell for only 1 PP. (I guess the "directional" aspect is that cool then?)

If i increase the base range of Projected Light to 50', then its base PP cost goes up to 6 PP.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
This is Not really an Errata but just something I notice in the Hard cover PoD.

All of the examples in the italicized text seem really faintly printed.  sometimes making you have to peer a bit closer to the page to read them.
This is consistent throughout the book so Im guessing it was intentional but it would be nice if it could be just a few shades darker
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline frenzyofmadness

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:49 AM »
The new Core Book is full of error!!! And many of them are non-sense...How could a Zombie has a -7 to Initiative??? Why a Heavy Horse has Initiative 2 if he has +7 to Quickness??? There were a lot of error even in the previous version, but in these one, the work done is simply terrible. Too many mistakes and no logical stuff in there: How is it possible that a Goblin (ST +3) is stronger than a Horse (ST +1) or a Tiger (ST +2)??? Are you become insane???   

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
Initiative is determined by Quickness and Insight, so negative Initiatives are quite feasible for slow and/or mindless creatures or creatures of animal intelligence.  Horses' "strength" is reflected in their carrying capacity etc

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:16 AM »
The new Core Book is full of error!!! And many of them are non-sense...How could a Zombie has a -7 to Initiative??? Why a Heavy Horse has Initiative 2 if he has +7 to Quickness??? There were a lot of error even in the previous version, but in these one, the work done is simply terrible. Too many mistakes and no logical stuff in there: How is it possible that a Goblin (ST +3) is stronger than a Horse (ST +1) or a Tiger (ST +2)??? Are you become insane???

It isn't that bad. I have seen much worst when it comes to ICE products in the past. There are many inconsistencies between the creature descriptions and the grid. I'm slowly reviewing all of them, as I find the time, to make up my own bestiary.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »
Note that the -1 ST for horses is from the Racial Stats table (13.7).
It does not include the size impact.  Being large size gives horses a +5 in ST, and a -1 in Quickness.  This chart assumes everything is a medium size creature (4' max at the shoulder for a quadruped) and you adjust from there.

I could not find reference to the Tiger being only +2 ST.  Table 13.5 shows Large Cat at +6 and Sabretooth Tiger at +8.  Please advise where you see a ST+2.

The reason why we reflected a horse's ST using portage skills talent is because we didn't want to turn that high strength into a combat machine.

Dagorhir - we have some of the table typo's collected, but would be interested in seeing  those you believe are inaccurate also. Ideally we can explain the perceived inconsistencies, but if not we can update the files for re-download and provide an errata version of the table.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline frenzyofmadness

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
Initiative is determined by Quickness and Insight, so negative Initiatives are quite feasible for slow and/or mindless creatures or creatures of animal intelligence.  Horses' "strength" is reflected in their carrying capacity etc

First of all you can't put a maximum of 3 to initiative to a creature. It NEVER attack first!!! There's necessary a leverage to make every combat as balanced as possible. Zombies are not ALWAYS slow, as we all know. Because if they are ALWAYS slow, every their bites must be fatal and ALWAYS turn people to a new Zombie. Zombies have lost now the capacity to be dangerous even at the 1st level.
Initiative is a filter of every combat situation. It's important for a good playing that every situation can be full of suspence, intrigue, adrenalin, etc... If we already have a short montrous compendium, in wich half of the creatures are useless for the entertainment, the GM works becomes very hard. I can assure you.

Offline frenzyofmadness

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Note that the -1 ST for horses is from the Racial Stats table (13.7).
It does not include the size impact.  Being large size gives horses a +5 in ST, and a -1 in Quickness.  This chart assumes everything is a medium size creature (4' max at the shoulder for a quadruped) and you adjust from there.

I could not find reference to the Tiger being only +2 ST.  Table 13.5 shows Large Cat at +6 and Sabretooth Tiger at +8.  Please advise where you see a ST+2.

The reason why we reflected a horse's ST using portage skills talent is because we didn't want to turn that high strength into a combat machine.

Dagorhir - we have some of the table typo's collected, but would be interested in seeing  those you believe are inaccurate also. Ideally we can explain the perceived inconsistencies, but if not we can update the files for re-download and provide an errata version of the table.
All the data is in the table 13.5 (pag. 169). Battle Demon (ST+3), Goblin (ST+3); Cat, Large (ST+2), Sabertooth Tiger (ST+4); Spider Giant (ST-1), Spider Greater (ST+10), Spider Lesser (ST+1)??? What does it means???
Why the chart express values for medium creature if many of them are not??? I guess it's important to give clear information. In fact even if i give a final +4 ST final bonus (-1 Stats, +5 size bonus) and considering the portage skill (x3 weight allowed) the sum is: 34x3=102 lbs, 46 kg!!! Only 46 kg before having -10 to Qu and Ag, and the speed limited to Fast sprint??? It's a joke??? And in fact, if i look in the chart 8.3 (pag. 65) i find the column capacity and the pony has maximum capacity of 300 lbs, 181 kg. The Pony BMR in Table 8.3 (pag.65) is 14, to a maximum of 4.5 mph (7,2 km/h), in the table 13.6 (pag. 170) has BMR 28. It's not clear and even real!!! A Bosnian Pony is able to transport 100 kg (220lbs) for 16km, in only 75 minutes, that means at 12.8 km/h, otherwise 21 feet/round.
Not using the Horse Strenght to the combat would be easy: the difference between a war horse and a normal horse is the training. A normal horse would rather combat and even if he does, he's not trained (Combat skill) and would have a low bonus. The warhorse is trained to combat and answers also to specific command to perform special action (this, in the reality, not in the game). So can have a better bonus. Easy! But if i make calculation, i loose myself cause the results doesn't corresponds with ones expressed in the various chart.
Do i have to send you my PDF version???
Ps:Sorry for my bad english!!! :)