Author Topic: Spell casting partial success  (Read 1986 times)

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell casting partial success
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:17:39 AM »
When you get a partial success in a SCSM, you can cast the spell normally next round as a 50% activity. I have two questions regarding this:

A) Would you allow this to be cast in snap phase if it was a non-instant spell?
B) If it was an instant spell, does it require 50% activity, or just 10% activity when cast next round?
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell casting partial success
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:20:49 AM »
 IMHO, the spell would go off in the same phase it was cast in the previous round and if it was an instant spell it woudl still only take 10%.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
When you get a partial success in a SCSM, you can cast the spell normally next round as a 50% activity. I have two questions regarding this:

A) Would you allow this to be cast in snap phase if it was a non-instant spell?
B) If it was an instant spell, does it require 50% activity, or just 10% activity when cast next round?

Answer to A.

Yes, you still need to make the spell casting roll, but it takes less time (only 50%) to cast. In snap action phase you will get -20 to roll.
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
A: I'm with Theros. I see no reason not to allow it in the Snap phase, you just take the -20.
B: I would leave it at 10% if going by the book rules.  I, however, don't require any action for instant spells.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
A) No, unless the character makes another SCSM with the additional modification for the Snap Action Phase. Normal Phase or Deliberate Phase are fine.
B) 10%.

Cory, Theros: Where would you apply the -20 e.g. in case of a Utility spell. Another roll for an SCSM is IMO not necessary again. Or is it?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
I could be wrong... but partial success means you cast again the next round at a bonus and for only 50% action right?  So you'd just have to apply the -20 snap penalty to the 2nd casting.

If it was an instant then there's really nothing to do but apply the +10 bonus.  You're still going to take 10% to do it by the rules and the -20 snap penalty wouldn't apply to an instant spell (I think).

Course, everything I just said is subject to massive customization. lol
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 04:52:59 AM »
I could be wrong... but partial success means you cast again the next round at a bonus and for only 50% action right?  So you'd just have to apply the -20 snap penalty to the 2nd casting.
The wording of the Partial Success for a SCSM says that the spell may be cast normally in the following round as a 50% maneuver and no SCSM is required.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
Ah! I figured I had SOME part of that wrong.  Been too long since I played a spell caster on a regular basis.

In that case I think I would rule there's no reason the spell can't be cast in snap using 50% action and no SCSM roll (because you've done most the work and being 'hasty' about the casting isn't the case.  You've already wasted a round and a half just to get a single spell off, so I do not feel it imbalances anything.  However, I would still apply the -20 to something that required a physical action related to the spell such as the OB of a Firebolt.
- Cory Magel

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
Hm, also sounds plausible. Have to think about whether this is a better solution than mine.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
 I have taken the "can cast normally" to mean that the spell casting went too long and in the round scheme it just took extra time. So you cast it as you were casting before. (I also think of it as a play in baseball that I saw yesterday in which a fielder went to get a easy ground ball and it bounced off of his mitt. He got the ball and the out but it just took a little longer than normal) 
 I have not taken it to mean that its a new round and you can re-decide how you are going to cast the spell. 

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 05:52:32 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I think getting to choose normal or deliberate phase is OK, whatever phase you originally intended. Maybe even snap, since you ARE already delayed, is OK without a new SCSM (not sure about this, though). I also think 10% should be sufficient for instant spells.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
We don't use Phases so I have a slightly modified way to look at it. This might not help when using RAW.
HR: If you get a Partial Success in SCSM, and you choose to keep casting, then the spell just takes an additional 50%Act.

If you think that %Act is actual time, some GM's run this way, then an instant in the second round might not help at all. If you want a Blade Turn for this round, then it might not help. 

If you play that %Act is everything you can do in a round, not time dependent, then you could still get that Blade Turn up if you still have 50%Act. Haste, for example, grants additional %Act so the spell just eats up an additional 50%Act. Now you can get it off this round.

The caster can choose not to keep casting, using their %Act for something else. I still count the Partial as casting a spell for spell/round limits.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"