Author Topic: Own Class for RMSS?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline xorben

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Own Class for RMSS?
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
Hi,

can you give me a hint, how to create a own Class for RMSS? Is there some kind of pool or something?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Own Class for RMSS?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
All I have ever done is compare the New profession to similar professions and make fit to best idea for the profession.

I have heard there is a tool, but I have never even hunted for such.  I do the above.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
There aren't official rules for it, but a couple people have put together frameworks. It still requires starting with a clear concept, and in my opinion should be done by a GM and not by a player, otherwise there are things you can do that make no sense but provide big advantages.

There was one by Tim Dugger ("Irregular Realms") which is in the Vault: www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item194

My own framework can be found here: http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/rm.htm or direct link to the Excel sheet http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/profdesign.zip There is an instructions page within the Excel file.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
In my opinion, there are few new professions that can't be largely based off an existing one with minor changes.  A few specific skill group cost tweaks, different Everyman, Occupational, and Restricted skills, different Profession Bonuses and possibly different Base Spell Lists is all that differentiate a lot of the existing professions.

What kind of profession are you trying to create?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline xorben

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
Sorry for that late answer. I am about to create some kind of tech-related Charakter for constructing Warmachines. Like the Engineer in Team Fortress. Only for Medival.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
Definitely a layman to start with if it's a non-spell user.  I don't know as if you'd really need to tweak much (although I don't know the game you're referring to).
For a caster I'd take a look at the Construct Companion, start with a pure spell user and swap out the base spell lists (also remember a Pure Caster gets 4 lists to choose from open/closed).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
Look at spell list from Delver (RMCI), Dabbler(RMSS?FRP) and some of the prosaic list in SUC (RM2).  One of the better prosaic list allows annealing and fabricating almost anything.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.