Author Topic: My Long Delayed Return  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
My Long Delayed Return
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Greetings All.

Very few of you on this forum probably remember me, but I used to frequent these forums quite a few years ago.  I think the last time I was in here was back in August of 2008.  Due to real life requirements intruding on my RPGing, I have been out of pocket for a quite few years.  I was browsing the internet looking for HARP stuff today, since I am thinking of starting back up a game, and what should I find but the HARP Forums still up and running after all these years.

So, here is the first and second of what I am sure will be many questions.  From what I can see from a short look thru of these forums, there is either a new version of HARP out, or at least a reprint of the older material, which is it?  Second, have there been any real rule changes that will keep me from using my old HARP books with any of the current stuff?

I moved from New Mexico to Elgin, Oklahoma a couple of years ago and I am starting my kids on RPGing.  So, are there any of you HARPers or Rolemaster players near the Lawton/Fort Sill area? (Sorry third question.)

I look forward to jumping back in to RPGing (HARP in particular) and I am looking forward to conversing with all you fine folks on this forum.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: My Long Delayed Return
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Alwyn!  Welcome back!
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
Welcome Back,

Others could probably answer this better then I, but I'll take a shot at your questions.

1) HARP was recently revised to correct some problems, rebalance some of the talents, and most importantly bring it into better consistency with HARP Sci-Fi.  It isn't really a new edition, but it certainly has a number of significant changes (pretty much all for the better in my opinion).

2)  Your old HARP stuff is mostly the same.  Revised versions of the support books are steadily coming out with Martial Law and College of Magic already done.  College of Magic probably saw the biggest changes as the spell design system changed and altered the spell costs.  Monsters: a Field Guide will probably be next done on that list.  It will probably be quite a bit different as well since the monster design system changed as well.  I would say the old books are 80%+ the same and very usable for the new version.

3) Sorry I'm in Northern Flyover country myself, can't help you on this one.

I hope this helps.  I'm sure some of the others can give you better or at least additional information on your questions.

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
2)  Your old HARP stuff is mostly the same.  Revised versions of the support books are steadily coming out with Martial Law and College of Magic already done.  College of Magic probably saw the biggest changes as the spell design system changed and altered the spell costs.  Monsters: a Field Guide will probably be next done on that list.  It will probably be quite a bit different as well since the monster design system changed as well.  I would say the old books are 80%+ the same and very usable for the new version.

My understanding is that Monsters: A Field Guide will not be revised but entirely replaced by a new bestiary.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »

Welcome back Alwyn!!  It's been a long time - great to see you on the boards again.

What have you missed....
Biggest change was the transition from Mjolnir to GCP handling the development work for ICE - and Aurigas Aldebaron taking a much more hands on approach to managing the brand.

The impact of that on HARP is that after GCP released HARP SF, it was decided that rather than simply rebrand the existing HARP products - they've been "enhanced".  As Pyrotech put it - it is an update in many areas, but the main rules have not changed.  Major changes tie to Human Race abilities, DP gains, talent costs, spell PP costs, and my own personal favorites.... monsters in the core product were redone (twice)  :D

Enhanced versions of College of Magic and Martial Law have been released.
Monsters: A Field Guide is not on the list of upcoming revisions.
Loot is pending enhancement.
Cyradon is pending enhancement.
New HARP product  "Bestiary" is in development using new monster creation rules (same as the ones used in enhanced Fantasy Core)
Once Bestiary is done, Cyradon will follow soon after, as well as Loot, and a number of adventures.
Oh, and by the way there are still other products waiting in the wings after all of that...

And, did I mention that we're doing public playtesting of the new version of Rolemaster?  Next beta version is due out soon.   But back to the important stuff.... Welcome back!!  :D
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.  Is the new revised version of HARP available in PDF?  If so, where can I order it?  I did not see it on DriveThru/RPGNow.  Of course I guess I should check to see if you guys still have the ICE Store. 

Sounds like HARP and RM are coming back strong, looks like I will have to spend some of my hard-earned money on new HARP and RM stuff.  I hope all of the these new products will be available as PDFs, since that is what I prefer now days. ;D

Definately looking forward to a new bestiary.  You can never have enough monsters. 8)

Long live I.C.E.!
Alwyn Erendil

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
Every product will be available first in PDF from RPGNow.
When checking RPGNow, search by publisher - Guild Companion Publications.

www.rpgnow.com/product/104176/High-Adventure-Role-Playing-Fantasy

From what I have seen so far, the Bestiary monsters look very interesting. There are a mix of old and new creatures, but all updated using the new creation rules so expect them to be dangerous but reasonable for their level. (No more 75 stats across the board or every creature having Fighter abilities).

We hope you enjoy them and thanks for your support - in the past - in the present - and in the future....
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
Thanks Thom.  Right after I got off of here I managed to find the HARP Fastasy PDF on RPGNow.  I had to spell out HARP in order for the search engine to find it.  I think I will be buying it this coming pay day, unless they furlough us again.

Always glad to support you guys!
Alwyn Erendil

Don't worry, be HARPy!