Author Topic: Power Perception Question  (Read 1856 times)

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Power Perception Question
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »
The description of the skill reads as giving a bonus to see active magic, so how would it work if a character decided to specialize the skill for their sense of touch/feel instead?
Would the skill act as a weak sort of detect magic spell with a sense of touch?
Would a character be able to feel the magic in a Warded area or something similar right before they passed into the area or right after? I'd like to think that they could sense the magic in time to stop & avoid triggering the ward but I'm not sure.
Any help is much appreciated.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Power Perception Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
AFAIK Power Perception is a 'visual' skill. Attunement is a sensation skill for tactile senses.
Ok, maybe it's one of our houserules. But we go well by this (you need to touch an item to notice  is cursed :D)
Anyways, Power Perception tells you the realm of magic by colour. With Lucy in the Sky of Diamonds you maybe able to feel colours by touching.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
I like those other senses used.  Great idea.

I require a one minute mnv to use power perception, with 25% activity required as the users eyes roll white and they emit some noise, as their voice is what causes the esseance to vibrate just enough for the perceptive to sense.  -10 to skill check for ever round less than 6 used.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
I use three separate skills, one for each realm and then use different senses for each. Essence is sight, Channeling is touch/feel, and Mentalism is smell. All of them have a bit of sound to them as well.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
Essence is sight, Channeling is touch/feel, and Mentalism is smell.

I knew it! Mentalists stink!  ;D
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
For my new world, I am using just one skill: Power Awareness.

This skill encompasses several sub-skills into one usage. Sub-skills include Attunement, Read Runes, Perception, Sensing. My logic is, if you can sense power, you can perceive it. If you can perceive it, you can attune to it. If you can attune to it, you can read it. Thus, this is actually one skill with many uses. If wondering, the difference between Power Perception and Power Sensing is the difference between "feeling" (sensing) its presence and actually "seeing" (perceiving) its presence.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bones996

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner as I had computer problems.
Thank you all for the replies as there are some ideas here that I like  :)
We also dug up an old copy of RM Companion VII which addresses Power Perception use with different senses that we'll likely adapt & utilize with maybe an idea or two from here.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
If I was trying to convert the actual Power Perception skill to a sense of touch/feel (maybe we're talking about a blind character) I'd basically treat it in the same manner but just give different indicators.  Visually I use Green for Channeling, Red for Essence, and Blue for Mentalism.  I adjust the strength (brightness to the person using Power Perception) of the aura of the object based on its power level.  If there is an imbedded curse you need to roll better in order to see a 'dark' border around the aura, the thicker the dark border the more powerful the curse.  An item that is ONLY cursed (no good properties) will be a Dark Red aura, Dark Green aura, etc.  If the item is 'evil' it will have a black aura with the corresponding reb/green/blue border for the type of magic.

So, convert that to touch?  Just off the top of my head I'd say...

Essence is hot to the touch, Channeling is warm to the touch and Mentalism is cool to the touch.  For strength of power maybe I'd give a length of the sensation (longer shorter) and that a curse would would inflict (non damaging) stabbing pain at a strength equal to the strength of the curse.  For evil items I'd make the pain constant (or reverse that for good items being held by evil beings).

Or how about vibration?  Channeling is a mid speed vibration, Essence is a heavy 'thud' vibration and Mentalism is a light constant 'buzz' type vibration.  For curses I'd just stick with the pain indicator.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss