Author Topic: How do you handle Attunement?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How do you handle Attunement?
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
I am curious as to how some of you handle the Attunement skill in HARP. 

In addition to its normal use as outlined in the book, I have always treated the Attunment skill as sort of a "Use magical item" skill that players have to make a maneuver roll in order to use a magical wand, staff, etc., if it is not a constant, bonus, or intelligent item.   The old HARP Book (and I believe the new HARP Fantasy) states under Attunment that "In order to activate such items or devices, the character must have made a successful Maneuver Roll."  I take this to mean that my treatment of having to make  a maneuver with this skill to actually use the item each time is okay, but I am getting questioned by my soon to be players about this interpretation.  The skill discription could also be interpreted as once you make the Attunement maneuver and know the device's powers, you can use the device anytime you want with out making any further rolls.

I know I am the GM and I can do what ever I think is right.  But I am just curious how others handle it.

Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: How do you handle Attunement?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
I have always played it as Attunement allows you to understand how the device works - once you have successfully completed an attunement with the item, you need not roll ever again.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
I have always played it as Attunement allows you to understand how the device works - once you have successfully completed an attunement with the item, you need not roll ever again.

I have always played it the same way also.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
Ditto, ditto.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Okay.  Do you all still have the user make some kind of maneuver/casting roll when actually using the item?  For example, a rogue character finds and attunes a Fireball wand.  How do you handle the elemental attack roll?  (i.e. add only straight stat bonuses, since there is no skill to use?)   
Alwyn Erendil

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
I've checked the College of Magic to see if it says anything about thisl and it has a little bit more on using charged items (page 107).  I'd still say it is just a touch ambiguous though.  I've always interpreted it as you only need one attunement check to use a magic item.

As for what skill to use, some wands explicitly state you can or should use the crossbow skill.  Others don't say anything about it.  My personal feelings would be that the user can use the higher of his crossbow skill, skill with the spell if known, or the minimum skill level to cast the spell (assuming the wand is doing the aiming by itself) for direct fire wands.  For wands that don't shoot "line of sight" and don't specify what skill to use I would lose the crossbow skill and use the other two options.  I would also probably allow enchanters a scaling option to allow the imprinting of higher skill levels into magic items - but I haven't really thought that all the way through yet.

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »
Allow me to clarify my previous statement - there is no need to roll Attunement again to determine how to use it.  You do use Attunement as the skill when you use an item that does not specify another skill explicitly. 

Items that don't require a maneuver roll (Glitterstone, Glowrod, Hagal's Ship, etc.) are functional once the owner has completed an Attunement to know how to use it.

Items that do require a maneuver roll use Attunement, or another Skill if it is specifically stated in the item's description.

(Personally I don't use the Crossbow skill as I don't see the relevance - I use Attunement for those.)

As an example, Wand of Casting does not require another Attunement roll, instead it uses the regular spellcasting roll for the spell that is being cast.

Thunder Rod uses the attunement skill.

Rod of Nobility uses the Mace weapon (1H Concussion) skill.
Rod of the Weapon's Master uses whatever weapon is being used.
Using Scrolls would also be done using Attunement.
Potions do NOT require an Attunement roll.

I hope that clarifies things.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Thom,

Yes it does.  That's how I interpreted it.  Thanks, appreciate the response.
Alwyn Erendil

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
Similar to most here we rule that once you attune to an item you do not need to do so again to activate its ability/abilities unless it specifically states you need to (make a maneuver roll).  However, when the item is in any way intelligent we use a Will Contest (for you to use it's abilities or if it tries to 'possess' you), unless of course it's cooperative already.  If an item is 'alignment' reactive in such a way that is causes physical harm there there's no way around that... well, other than to put it down. :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss