Author Topic: Breath holding rule?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Otto von Grunwald

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Breath holding rule?
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
A question about this (how long can a PC hold his or her breath) came up recently and I cannot find any official rule about it in the RMSR. Is there an official rule for it?
Happiness isn't having what you want; it is wanting what you have.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Breath holding rule?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
School of Hard Knocks, under Swimming, says Constitution/10 rounds. I can't find anything else, including what happens when you fail to hold your breath any longer...
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »
The "Arms Companion" states one can hold one's breath for (Constitution/20) minutes and suggests penalties for operating with breath deprivation whilst the RoCoVII has more detailed rules (stating the Constitution/10 rounds is the period before suffering damage for a drowning character), including a drowning critical chart.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »
For the average joe I think Con/10 is decent.  I'd probably mix in or switch it to SD personally.  It's not hard for the standard person to work up to holding their breath for one minute, but there are free divers that can do it much longer and the record is actually 22 minutes (which is freaking incredible).

How to simulate that in a skill?  That's a little hard.  Even with a 20 ranks in a skill (and cat if RM2) and a good stat bonus and prof bonus, etc it's hard to get past a couple minutes.  Maybe come up with a range that you'd base on the general maneuver chart?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
Con/2 for the base time in seconds (or Con/10 perhaps if you're basing it on rounds), with an SD roll required to exceed that (with DRs going up depending on the time involved, with a max at double the base time...maybe start at one DR per additional segment of base time/10 or base/2). Skill? Some sort of adrenal move, perhaps...but something that has SD as a PR at minimum.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »
 I would go with the School of Hard Knocks rule as it is for RMSS/FRP the Arms Comp rules are for RM2/C and the stat bonuses are different for the two systems.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
One minute as a base, plus Co mod x2 in rounds.  For every five ranks in swimming, add 1minute.

When the limit is passed, a Sd check is made.  If successful, another check doesn't have to be made till Co mod in rounds pass.

So, 1 minute + Co mod x2 + 1 minute/5 ranks in swimming for free (unless struck, grappling, surprised, etc).

Hard Sd check is made, may hold breath as many rounds as Co mod, then:
VH Sd check, if made as before.
Ex. Hard check, etc, etc.

As soon as Sd check is failed, N/PC drowns.

P.S. Use a paper clip on the difficulty column to remember where you are at, particularly in melee.  The next check may be a half hour away in real time if in tactical mode.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
Using the Co mod makes more sense than Co stat, since it takes into account racial bonuses etc. I also like having an SD check at the end.

If you want to be realistic you could give people a little more time if they have a chance to prep, and less time if they are exerting themselves significantly. Or modify the rolls.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
The HARP rules are - keep in mind that this is a 2 second round -
30 rounds + (2xCO Bonus)   = This allows normal movement
If resting and still - double the above.
If time to prepare (1 round) then double.
If surprised then half.

Once time expires, then a Stamina check is done every round with a target of 100.
Failure = unconscious and dying (death in Co Stat +5 rounds)
If drowning is a concern - drowning occurs in 1d10 rounds once unconscious underwater  (note that it need not be water)

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:35 PM »
I go with the Con/2 since I use Ceats  But then I Have a skill "Hold breath" ( I use RM2/Rmc) with the Cost same as Body Development and the stats of CON/SD. Each Rank Increase the amount of time one can "hold ones breath" by 5 seconds without a check in a non-critical situation. Anything beyond that requires a check.
Check at a medium maneuver level, at the Base Time for holding breath, then Increase the difficulty for each attempt to exceed the character ability to hold his breath Longer. The skill roll compared to the chart for that level of maneuver determine what % of time extra beyond his base he can continue. 

Character Namor has a Con on 90 (+10) and a SD of 100 (+25) bonus , he can hold his breath for 45 seconds normally. 
He develops 5 ranks in Holding breath giving him a skill of 48. making his base time 70 seconds
Namor ducks into a duck pond to hide from some patrolling guards. the guards stop by the duck pond to talk for a minute and Namor has reached his 45 second base time to hold breath.
Namor Makes a Check against a Medium maneuver rolling a 70+48 = 118. This means Namor can hold his breath for an additional 45 seconds before another check. (result on the routine maneuver chart is 100%)
THe guards continue to stand their talking when 45 more seconds have passed. Namor makes another check at Hard difficulty. this time he rolls a 38+48 = 86 this obtains a 60% result giving him 42 more seconds of time.
THe guards must really have something to say. Namor is required to make another check at very Hard difficulty and rolls a 45+48 = 93. this nets him 50% more time which is 35 more seconds.
Still the guards talk like women in a knitting circle. Namore Rolls an Extremely Hard maneuver He rolls a 12+48 = 60 not a great roll... he has only 10% more time or 7 more seconds before another check.
the Guards begin to move off, but he wants to make sure they don't hear him when he comes out of the water, so he makes a extremely Sheer Folly roll and rolls another 48+48 = 96 he gets 25% or 18 more seconds of time.
He breaks the surface gasping as quietly as he can for breath. all in all Namor heald his breath for 172 seconds, near 3 minutes.

I don't like using the Con bonus as the base, as some people may have a negative bonus. Though you could have the Base modified by the con bonus. say 1+(Con B/100)(Con/2)

D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
If the PC has a negative Co mod, he best have a very high Sd mod and/or high swim skill.  Regardless, after his time limit, he will check every melee rnd versus drowning.

I do like an additional bonus for prepping, essentially oxegenating...oxegen...err...filling the lungs to maximum capacity via an exercise I have seen free divers use.  Say +2 minutes.  Doubling Co mod if inactive seems like a good mod too.

Essentially, I cannot imagine low Co PC's being world class at any athletic event that focuses on endurance.  No mercy.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Otto von Grunwald

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Wow!

Thanks for all the responses everybody.  :)

Question_status="answered"
Happiness isn't having what you want; it is wanting what you have.