Author Topic: Addiction factor  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Addiction factor
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
Hello. I have a question concerning the addictions recovery rule on the gamemaster law, section 11.1.1.
According to these rules, an addiction after a week without taking the substance, you can do a roll, which if fails does lose up to 20 points of constitution. This means that in an average of 10 days when the character fails these rolls, will have been without constitution! Which is relatively simple, as it should to get more than 100 on a roll adding only its bonus constitution, on the other hand it will become smaller. (Aside from the penalties and hits). Even with a simple addition of level 1 is really hard to pass the roll.
I do not know if the authors had smoked any of these substances when designed this rule!! hahaha. Ok, I admit suggestions before one of my characters die because an addiction!! (sorry my english) Thanks!!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Addiction factor
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »
We just ran into this at our last session. You basically cannot get free of addiction without an open-ended roll, even with level 1 addiction. I don't know if that is deliberate, but it is pretty harsh, especially since you can become addicted after using a single dose.

I would be inclined to give bonuses on the roll for whatever the party healers try in terms of treating the symptoms. You could also allow a character with herb-related skills to try to use their skill to treat the addiction, again giving a bonus on that roll.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Addiction factor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Following jdales line of thinking, add a bonus for number of ranks in body dev too.  Additionally, if the addicted soul receives treatment, or can treat himself, another bonus could apply.  Using the Static Mnv Tables, successful use of a secondary skill should provide a +20 to the roll.

You can also use Sd in place of Co as the primary stat.  An argument for Pr can be made too.

So, base roll is Co, Sd and Pr mod + ranks in body dev + (20 with successful secondary skill such as hern lore, horticulture, second aid, etc).

Or pay a local Animist 24bp per herb to have them cleansed of addition factor, or whatever price your game world demands (I charge 4bp per spell lvl).  There is also a spell to help cure addiction if all else fails (Heal Addiction spells on Healer base list). 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.