Author Topic: How to best make a Juggling acrobat earning his way by entertaining people?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline lorentzt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I am making a traveling juggler that earns his life by throwing and juggling daggers. Charming/influensing the townspeople and telling stories to the crowd.

Anyone got a sugestion on profession and race and so on? I think i had a excel sheet that could help give you the good combinations but i dont find it, and as the Bard is more musician i dont think he is well suited.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Thief is probably the best non spell using profession.  Gymnastic skills are cheap and influence is low average.

Talents can compensate for races with low Ag or Pr mods.  My last entertainer was a Halfling.  The high Ag mod made him a great tumbler acrobat, juggler and knife thrower.  I took a +5 Pr mod to offset the racial penalty and the sparkling eyes talent (+15 all influence checks).  I also bought an additional Ag mod.  From level one he was an excellent performer, very good with a knife/dagger but certainly not much in melee (at level 12 I got his OB to 85, but his thrown is around 140).  I also recall buying thrown dagger as EV then stepping it down to normal progression, allowing specialization in throwing any kind of weapon.  Using items from the crowd is part of the show.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I also like the Rogue and Their professions for your build.

Now how you build can depend on your GM as some GM's let you buy Professin: (XXXXX), Sit Aware (Profession:XXXXX) and you can do anything within that field (with in reason).

What I would do is make a Training Package and submit it to the GM with just your base skills for throwing and juggling, then make a TP for your Charm skills that some may use with their physical skills and some may let others do the charm offensive.
  See just how many DP's it takes to do what you want, see if you can (GM permission) merge TP's as TP's can give you a big savings on DP's for skills you may not use a lot while adventuring but would use a lot to make a living.
MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
If you want the silly entertainer maybe a Halfling/Hobbit.  If you want the mystical professional maybe an elf.  Otherwise just go human.  Although, a juggling half-orc from the circus could be quite the crowd draw...

Agree on the Rogue and Thief profession (what are the odds a juggler grew up on the street after all?)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
For a magic-using showman, the illusionist is never a bad choice. And artistic/active is even cheaper than for a thief.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I can also see having a spell list to change your race, etc if that was important to you.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
There are two ways to go with performance juggling. You can do juggling with comedic patter, or skip the patter and make it art instead. For the former you need some kind of artistic-active skill or maybe influence. For the latter you might incorporate dance or something like it to pull in a musical aspect. The former might be better if you want to be a one-man show, since you'll also have the skills for making connections, gathering crowds, getting gigs. The latter you might need more of a team.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
I have not checked, but would a Warrior Monk have good DP costs in the Athletic group?

Just a thought.  And it might be interesting to play a Warrior Monk who pays his way as a juggler...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline lorentzt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lots of GREAT advice here! Thanks.
Ill post the result after i have had some discussions with my gm ;D