Author Topic: RMSS: Moving Maneuver Penalty  (Read 1624 times)

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
RMSS: Moving Maneuver Penalty
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked a ton, but is there a list anywhere of all of the skills that the MMP affects?  Should you penalize skills on an individual basis or does MMP affect the category skills?  Does MMP affect weapon skills as well? Maybe it should affect any skills with AG or QU for its stat bonuses? 

It has been A LONG time since I played/ran RM and I've been messing around with it again lately.  Thanks. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: RMSS: Moving Maneuver Penalty
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »
Most maneuvers are either movement maneuvers, static maneuvers or OB.  If a MM, apply full penalty.  Penalty is applied to OB at full or half at GM discretion.  For example, a minor broken bone at -15 would be applied to all MM, to OB and maybe 1/2 or 0 to SM.  Usually SM are lore checks or perception checks.  If you think the pain of the wound should affect the mnv, the apply the penalty.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:50:30 AM »
 I apply the penalty to all maneuvers, I will have to check my RMSS book for the official answer since it seems like I have been playing forever.
MDC

P.S. As for discussions I remember way back somewhere it was talked about that it could affect your movement, but I think that was a house discussion and nothing to do with the ICE Forums.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:32:27 AM »
I was looking at skills in the Athletic skill categories and thought the penalty would always apply to them, as well as the Combat Maneuvers skill category, and a few others like the weapons skills.   

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:52:19 AM »
  As a side note I injured my back and had two surgeries to try and correct said issue.  I can say that when I am in pain it affects everything I do both physically, mentally and socially.  But that is my personal experience and not in the rules. ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
My father has had chronic back pain since he was in a motorcycle accident (3 vertebrae rub against each other all of the time and are 50% of what they used to be) so I would agree that negative modifiers from pain would affect just about everything.  He can get pretty grumpy at times and is hard to be around when it is a bad day. 

Mostly I'm just asking about penalties from armor though.  ;)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
The easiest way to apply MMPen from armor is to ask this question:

"Does this maneuver involve having to also move the armor?"

If yes, then the MMPen applies.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
 A ha, yes MM penalties from armor affect all physical activities except OB, IIRC.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
It is a Moving Maneuver Penalty. If you are resolving a maneuver by rolling on the moving maneuver table, then the penalty applies. Otherwise, it doesn't.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »
So MMP does affect combat skills... if you are moving then?  If you aren't moving it doesn't apply?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
It would not apply to attack rolls, if that is what you mean. They aren't moving maneuvers. They not only use different tables, they use different mechanics.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
I'll say it like it is; the mm penalty for armor has always been broken.  I ignore it normally.  When I do use it, I prefer to use the magical/superior armor table from Treasure Companion.  Honestly, RM could do without this rule and table.  RMU has simplified the rule and reduced penalties, but I guess tradition says it must stay.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
  Is your problem with the word Move? Because MM penalties cab be there for many reasons and apply even when someone is not moving.

If it is because of the work move:
  I would ask my self is the person using the work move to try and beak the system. Ie word of the law vs spirit of the law. Made Up Example: Telekinesis Spell (very basic, low rank) says may exert 5 lb pressure one one object, so a player says ok I narrow down the 5lb of pressure so it is so small that it does huge amounts of damage. IMHO the above example is with-in the wording of the spell because the author did not have the space or time to think of every possible use, action and player idea that might result in the limited space (and probably time) they had. 

So armor can be hot, restrictive in some movements and not others. If you are trying to come up with a list of when and when ti does not apply I wish you good luck. But I think the general rule should be kept as it is in the RMSS book.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.